General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Swac3
(newbie) Sat 08-Feb-20 16:30:16
Print Post

No wonder people are confused

[link to this post]

Was doing a little digging to see how some of the package prices and speeds compare and came across this Gem from BT broadband.

BT Ultrafast Fibre 250

Download Speed
Average 300 Mbps

Upload Speed
50 Mbps

Technical maximum speed
314 Mbps

Included allowance
Unlimited

What possible reason is there for this package to be Fibre 250 ? Even the speed guarantee is 150Mbps.
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sat 08-Feb-20 20:03:10
Print Post

Re: No wonder people are confused

[re: Swac3] [link to this post]

I think BT have a cunning plan to lower peoples speeds over time (Joke) LOL

But I can say when I was on FTTP I was getting 314Mbps 24/7, as soon as I move over to Ultrafast 2 it instantly dropped to 309Mbps 24/7, then when I was moved over to that Ultrafast Fibre 250 I am now getting 280 to 290Mbps 24/7, notice the pattern here tongue

So give it a few more renames and I might end up on 250Mbps tongue

Jokes aside, you left out Halo 1 and 2 etc, but that is basically the old Plus feature.

Paul

Standard User busterboy
(committed) Sat 08-Feb-20 22:00:00
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by PaulKirby:
I think BT have a cunning plan to lower peoples speeds over time (Joke) LOL

But I can say when I was on FTTP I was getting 314Mbps 24/7, as soon as I move over to Ultrafast 2 it instantly dropped to 309Mbps 24/7, then when I was moved over to that Ultrafast Fibre 250 I am now getting 280 to 290Mbps 24/7, notice the pattern here tongue

So give it a few more renames and I might end up on 250Mbps tongue

Jokes aside, you left out Halo 1 and 2 etc, but that is basically the old Plus feature.

Paul

That's quite concerning Paul, although you joke about it there is obviously some truth speeds are getting slower and not just the naming.

BTBroadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sun 09-Feb-20 02:51:37
Print Post

[re: busterboy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by busterboy:
That's quite concerning Paul, although you joke about it there is obviously some truth speeds are getting slower and not just the naming.

Yeah, when I spoke to BT on Twitter they were a bit concerned about the drop, sadly they said they are not trained in FTTP and said to phone them up and ask about it.

The thing is its more like a cap is in place or an IP with issues and you can see in this >> image from SamKnows Box << where you can see it at 306Mbps (when on Ultrafast 2) and when they moved us over to Ultrafast Fibre 250 when I phoned for a better deal and resubbed, yes you guessed it, it was on the 19th of November 2019.

You can also see the top cap being hit before then drop by 10 to 20Mbps for no reason.
I am thinking its an IP issue, just not an issue to reset my connection to see, I might check a neighbours connection when I see them.

I just find it strange when you speak to BT and they do anything to do with your connection your speed drops, but like I said its not an issue, but I will be keeping an eye on it.

Paul

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 09-Feb-20 05:34:40
Print Post

A change of Openreach product resets DLM, so it sounds like there is one also on FTTP.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sun 09-Feb-20 06:42:30
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
A change of Openreach product resets DLM, so it sounds like there is one also on FTTP.

I am not too sure that FTTP has one, plus I never changed products, I just renewed the sub to get another good deal and that's was it, then over night the speed just dropped.

If only I could see the connection stats of the ONT LOL

Paul

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 09-Feb-20 08:21:20
Print Post

I also don’t believe there is ‘DLM’ on Openreach FTTP products. It is not required.

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sun 09-Feb-20 09:20:42
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
I also don’t believe there is ‘DLM’ on Openreach FTTP products. It is not required.

That's what I thought, I was under the impression that I connect up at the speed that I am paying for, and if you look at that graph I took from my Sam Knows box you can see its seems capped at that speed 24/7 and before I resigned up I was at my normal speed.

I am glad BT are not calling this package Ultrafast Fibre 10 LOL

Paul

Standard User dect
(experienced) Sun 09-Feb-20 09:37:10
Print Post

Were all the various FTTP packages you have been on (e.g. Ultrafast 2, Ultrafast Fibre 250) all advertise the same top speed?
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 09-Feb-20 10:08:36
Print Post

I *suppose* that as these new speed products become more the ‘norm’ the core of these networks needs to improve proportionally too.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to