General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Jakerz
(newbie) Tue 18-Feb-20 10:04:00
Print Post

Fibre or not

[link to this post]

I am with BT ,I have fibre & it tests between 8&9 mgps,my house is off the beaten track,if I go with another ISP that proves a minimum say 10 mgps on ordinary broadband (not fibre) will I still get 8to9 mbps & save me about 10gbp per month ,in other words what is the point of paying for fibre when I,m never gonna get more than 9mbps
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 18-Feb-20 11:58:57
Print Post

Re: Fibre or not

[re: Jakerz] [link to this post]

There is a small possibility that ADSL2+ and VDSL2 (fibre) the two technologies will give similar speeds, but this only happens when a certain set of distance conditions occur i.e. over 1km from the VDSL2 cabinet but still within 2km of the telephone exchange itself.

Am betting that the minimum 10 Mbps is what you may be seeing in adverts for ADSL2+ services, rather than the specific estimate for your line.

Using your phone number copy/paste the results from a look up on https://my.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/adsl.htm just hide your phone number when you post it and people will able to advise.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to