General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mikekay45
(newbie) Thu 20-Feb-20 16:30:57
Print Post

Vanished email account

[link to this post]

I have been with PlusNet for some years now. Previously I was with Madasafish and I had a domain on which I used to host, if that's the right word, several email addresses one of which is used by my wife. These email addresses have vanished and PlusNet can't or won't tell me what's gone wrong.

When I log into PlusNet webmail using my wifes email address and her password the current mailbox is shown (as expected). However, I cannot send or receive emails and the last email shown is dated 17/1/2020. There are no subsequent emails. What I can't understand is how I can log in to an account that PlusNet claims doesn't exist. It appears that I can delete emails.

If I try to send an email I get the following error message:
SMTP Error (550): Failed to set sender "*****" (<*****> sender rejected - invalid domain (no MX or A record)).

According to Whois the domain is still registered and will be until expiry on 5/9/2020. Whois also show the name servers to be ns1.force9.net and ns2.force9.net both of which are associated with PlusNet. The domain is registered until September, 2020.

I have been accessing this email account via Mozilla Thunderbird for many years. Now I can no longer do so. I simply get a "failed to connect" nessage.

All this is beyond me and I would be very grateful if somebody with greater knowledge could help.

Needless to say that I am extremely disenchanted with PlusNet
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 20-Feb-20 19:35:06
Print Post

Re: Vanished email account

[re: mikekay45] [link to this post]

Domain names and email accounts are separate entities

You might do better to post in the Plusnet email forum.

Michael Chare
Standard User ashdown
(learned) Thu 20-Feb-20 21:03:49
Print Post

It sounds as though the MX record(s) for your domain have been deleted (these tell the rest of the Internet which server accepts email addressed to the domain). Suggest you check at (for example) https://mxtoolbox.com/

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User awontroba
(member) Thu 20-Feb-20 22:09:21
Print Post

[re: ashdown] [link to this post]

In my opinion, ISP email accounts are best avoided.

There are several providers of cheap domain and email packages, and once you have your own domain you can move it if you wish, and changing ISP becomes much easier.

Consider using a Gmail account as a backup.

--
Adrian
Standard User clyde123
(member) Fri 21-Feb-20 08:54:43
Print Post

Madasafish was sold off 13 years ago, and BT reported its imminent demise in 2015.
The question is who controls your domain nowadays ?
Presumably Plusnet - Force9 seems to be part of the Plusnet operation nowadays.

Other replies are correct - Mxtoolbox.com will tell you what if any MX and A records exist. But only whoever has control of those can make changes.
Also agree with Michael_Chare - to try the Plusnet email forum. There are many reports out there of similar situations to yours.
Hopefully someone on that Plusnet email forum will be able to help.

Have you been paying annual registration fees for the domain ?
If it's a .co.uk domain, and it's registered in your name, there are alternative ways to get this back.
Standard User mikekay45
(newbie) Sat 22-Feb-20 00:40:59
Print Post

[re: clyde123] [link to this post]

clyde123
I have tried Mxtoolbox.com with no luck. It did not recognise the domain
I have also posted on Plusnet email forum with no response.
I haven't been paying annual registration fees for the domain. I seem to recollect that it was provided by my service provider for free. I haven't really thought about it unti it stopped working and my wife sqwauked (loudly)!
The whois information states that "Nominet was able to match the registrants' name against a 3rd party data source on 10-Dec-2012" Presumably that was me.
Whois also states that the Registrar is Plusnet.plc t/a Madasafish Broadband [Tag = MADASAFISH]
Can you give me any hint as to the balternative ways to get this back that you mention?
Fortunately my wife has a plusnet account and I have managed to persuade her to have a gmail account as well. She still wants her account because a lot of people have her address.

Many thanks to everybody who responded,

Mike

Edited by mikekay45 (Sat 22-Feb-20 02:14:22)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 22-Feb-20 01:11:57
Print Post

Registrar:
Plusnet Plc t/a Madasafish Broadband [Tag = MADASAFISH]
URL: http://www.madasafish.com

Relevant dates:
Registered on: 05-Sep-2008
Expiry date: 05-Sep-2020
Last updated: 21-Aug-2018

Registration status:
Registered until expiry date.

Name servers:
ns1.force9.net
ns2.force9.net
That's some of this enquiry result.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 22-Feb-20 02:02:21)

Standard User mikekay45
(newbie) Sat 22-Feb-20 01:23:45
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Roberto

Have I got this right? .co.uk is a domain hosted on ns1.force9.net which is a server operated by plusnet. How on earth can plusnet deny any knowledge?

Aaaaargh!

Edited by mikekay45 (Sat 22-Feb-20 02:13:14)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 22-Feb-20 01:58:57
Print Post

That's the domain, but other than it existing says nothing about what services are associated with it. That's a different question altogether.

For example, I have several domains registered in my name elsewhere that would give similar looking results to that, but with no website or email services. Basically just available if I wish to add such services.

So that entry doesn't say whether or not any email services are still being provided for your domain.

The good news is that if you wish to retain that domain-name it should be possible to get them to transfer it to your ownership under your own name. Once it is in your name it would cost under £10 a year, then you add email hosting at something like £2-£3pm.

That wouldn't bring back the email histories if those have been lost however frown.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 22-Feb-20 02:01:16
Print Post

I'm going to remove the domain name now from my posts and links in them. I suggest you also edit it out of yours.

Otherwise it could well be picked up from here by trawler bots.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to