General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User PopulationUno
(newbie) Fri 28-Feb-20 19:38:56
Print Post

Broadband speed never changes on Router

[link to this post]

Hello,

I'm with Utility Warehouse (UW) who subcontracts broadband, in my area, from TalkTalk. The router is a Technicolor DGA4231. My connection is supposed to be 45Mbps to 73 Mbps.

My question: My router consistently reads exactly 53.54 Mbps. Never doesn't read that. I contacted UW to find out what was up with the consistency. I questioned whether I was throttled. They responded that the consistency shows that my line is stable and the consistency proves it's stabikity.

Now, I've been in networking and computer fields for nearly 30 years. I admit I don't know everything, but I'd like to think I've heard near everything. I've never heard this before.

Was the UW response correct?

If so, can you explain how my connection rate can be exactly the same, always?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 28-Feb-20 19:51:54
Print Post

Re: Broadband speed never changes on Router

[re: PopulationUno] [link to this post]

The 45 to 73 is an estimate of what speed you'll connect at, hence the range as there is uncertantity

The 53.54 Mbps will be the sync speed and will only vary if the modem reconnects and line conditions are different, so same figure is generally good.

So explanation from UW is right, but could have been worded differently to highlight the differences between the two sets of figures.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 28-Feb-20 20:28:45
Print Post

Following on from what MrSaffron posted, don't forget that the connection speed on a wired connection, which is what you have between the router and the FTTC cabinet/DSLAM, is not the same as the speedtest speed that measures throughput, nor is it like a wifi connection between the router and a device where the speed itself varies.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Sat 29-Feb-20 10:43:11
Print Post

Re: Broadband speed never changes on Router *DELETED*

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Post deleted by PopulationUno
(newbie) Sat 29-Feb-20 10:45:57
Print Post

Thanks to you both. Last two questions:

1. What are the two numbers averaged for the synch result?
2. Is the download speed from the router to the cabinet still dynamic? MrSaffron, you mentioned that this is a fixed number based on the speed at the time the router turned on and synched.
Example: Speed shows 53.45Mbps. if this number is static as long as the router is turned on, how will I know if the speed increases or decreases from this number?

RobertoS,

Yes, I was aware, but thanks for mentioning that. Many people don't know that the WiFi speed can, and probably is, much different than a cabled connection directly into the router.

Thanks again all.

Edited by PopulationUno (Sat 29-Feb-20 12:53:20)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 29-Feb-20 11:37:26
Print Post

1. What are the two numbers averaged for the synch result?

Do not understand this question, you do not average the download and upload sync speeds since they are different things.

2. Is the download speed from the router to the cabinet still dynamic?

Yes, but while sync'd the connection speed will not vary but if there is a burst of noise e.g. electric storm or your power goes off when the modem resyncs it may resync at a different speed, usually it will be very similar to what you had before or maybe even the same.

What speed are you actually worrying about increasing or decreasing?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 29-Feb-20 12:04:26
Print Post

I'm sorry to say that you don't seem to have a clue about how data communications work, and it would take rather a long time to explain.

You initial enquiry was very odd, given what you said in your OP:-
I've been in networking and computer fields for nearly 30 years. I admit I don't know everything, but I'd like to think I've heard near everything. I've never heard this before.
Your reply to me suggests you didn't understand my previous reply either. I was trying to explain that the reported/observed connection speed on wifi from a router does appear dynamic. Unlike the connection speed on physical connections.

However, that reported wireless speed varies depending on the fluctuating electromagnetic conditions within and around the premises. Including other local wifi routers' activities.

The only explanation I can think of for your confusion is that you are accustomed to an environment where the connection between the modem on the premises and the one in the MSAN/DSLAM providing the service is using SRA. (Seamless Rate Adaptation). This is not in common use in the UK for broadband connections. Variable noise margins are generally used and automatic re-syncs between the two modems occur only if the noise affecting the line increases enough to exceed that margin.

If you were to re-sync your modem you would probably end up with a different speed. If you provide the basic line stats, current speed, max available, noise margin or SNR or SNRM depending how your equipment labels it, and attenuation, we may be able to help advise whether the new speed would be higher or lower than your current 53.54 Mbps.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde
(newbie) Sat 29-Feb-20 13:05:43
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

For number 1 I was referring to your first response, "...but could have been worded differently to highlight the differences between the two sets of figures."

2. OK, I'm understanding it better. I'm not worried about increasing or decreasing my speed, not really. With other service providers in the UK, my download speed varies dramatically, primarily based on the time of day--evenings are usually the worst time to stream or download. This is common. With this router/modem and TalkTalk, in the evening, I see the same variation in performance, but the data rate on the modem stays synched at 53Mbps. Hence my OP.

NOTE: Sometimes I don't understand right away. I have a learning disability that can take me 2 or 3 times to understand something where someone picks it up on the first shot. I appreciate the patience. I know I can come across as thick.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 29-Feb-20 14:44:09
Print Post

Sync speed is the connection between your modem and the street cabinet

The download speed variations you see in the evening are throughput measures and while they are capped by whatever the current sync speed is and protocol overheads these speeds will vary independently of the sync speed since they are influenced by factors deeper in the ISP network and the internet as a whole.

(newbie) Sat 29-Feb-20 15:15:54
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

And that nails it. Thank you for clearing this up. I appreciate the help.
  Print Thread

Jump to