General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Lollipop2
(newbie) Sun 01-Mar-20 18:00:34
Print Post

Information regarding USO

[link to this post]

Hello. I'm wondering about something that is stated on the Ofcom website and was wondering if someone could clarify.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-interne...

"Why is it taking nearly two years?"

"The Government’s initial commitment was for the USO to be in place from March 2020, so we are on track to deliver to this time frame."

By that, do they mean the public, sometime in March, be able to request a speed over 10mbps from their ISP?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 01-Mar-20 18:13:54
Print Post

Re: Information regarding USO

[re: Lollipop2] [link to this post]

20th March requests can be made, the vast majority will be delivered via 4G

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Lollipop2
(newbie) Sun 01-Mar-20 18:29:42
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thank you for that clarification. I hope that 4g thing isn't set in stone. Most providers, if not all, provide a service over 10mbps where I live. However, they are not reliable when it comes to latency, constant connection etc... It would be a shame to have waited all this time for something like this for it to fall flat on 4g technology.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User sheephouse
(member) Sun 01-Mar-20 18:43:56
Print Post

As I understand it, there are only two USO providers (one only covering Hull), so it will be BT for most of us (not your current ISP unless you are with BT). USO promises 10Mbps down 1Mbps up (sync speeds, not throughput), with latency suitable for VoIP or video calls, a contention ratio of no more than 50:1, and 100GBpm for no more than £45pm. And that will only be provided where the build cost is no more that £3400 or where the consumer pays the excess. They will have 30 days to decide whether you already have a USO compatible option available (such as 4G), or whether they will provide one (and they have a year to do so). It is likely that in most cases where there are no USO options it will be 4G that is provided (possibly with an external antenna).
So don't get too excited.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 01-Mar-20 19:08:36
Print Post

[re: sheephouse] [link to this post]

I think you will find it applies to all ISPs (Technically, in Ofcom-speak, Communications Providers - CPs).

Even if you were right, "BT" would mean BT Wholesale and all ISPs selling their products. More probably, it is Openreach that have to provide it. (And whoever provides the Hull infrastructure).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Sun 01-Mar-20 19:23:00
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I think you will find it applies to all ISPs (Technically, in Ofcom-speak, Communications Providers - CPs).

Even if you were right, "BT" would mean BT Wholesale and all ISPs selling their products. More probably, it is Openreach that have to provide it. (And whoever provides the Hull infrastructure).

"Legislation for the USO was brought in by the Government at the end of March 2018, and customers will be able to request a broadband USO connection directly from the designated universal service providers – BT and KCOM – from March 2020."

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-interne...

So no, you cannot go to Talktalk or Sky and ask for a USO connection - even if they are resellers of Openreach services.

Conversely: BT don't have to use Openreach to provide the USO - and in most cases they won't, since Openreach don't run a 4G network.
Standard User sheephouse
(member) Sun 01-Mar-20 19:25:56
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I'm not sure about that - according to Ofcom:

"BT and KCOM are designated as Universal Service Providers. They will be responsible for taking requests for USO connections and building the necessary infrastructure to deliver them within a reasonable timeframe. KCOM will be the Universal Service Provider for the Hull Area, and BT will cover the rest of the UK."

From all the other ISPs that applied, only Hyperoptic met the requirements, and they withdrew.
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Sun 01-Mar-20 19:30:13
Print Post

Most providers, if not all, provide a service over 10mbps where I live.
In which case I suspect you can forget about USO giving you access to higher speeds.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 01-Mar-20 19:33:40
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

That is my understanding too.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Lollipop2
(newbie) Sun 01-Mar-20 19:34:29
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

And my guess is reliability doesn't come into the equation.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to