General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
ISP Representative uno
(isp) Sat 18-Apr-20 18:07:10
Print Post

Re: New BTW Checker

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

I don't believe so, as yet at least. The address check works again which is a plus.

There will no doubt be reasons why they've done this but nothing they've disclosed.

Matt

uno Communications
t: 0333 773 7700
uno Speedtest
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 18-Apr-20 18:34:27
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

The CAPCHA for a start. Reinforcing my suggestion the other day that the Address option on the previous version may have been being "script" accessed.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sat 18-Apr-20 22:01:00
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
Is it actually any different apart from the layout? No new information as far as I can see.

Well I know the new layout seems to be reactive and now uses Bootstrap v4.3.1 and now scales the page to fit mobile and tablets devices as well as desktop browsers.

The data returned is a json serialized string, there is a couple of other stuff (like Brown and Green fields) not displayed, but other than that its the same, but this one works.

Paul

BTBroadband - Fibre 250 with BT Halo 1 + FVA
Exchange Name: Ilford Central (LNILC) Cabinet: 24
TBB Speedtest IPv4 | TBB Speedtest IPv6 | Ookla Speedtest (Single Threaded) | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Sun 19-Apr-20 12:41:16
Print Post

Disappointed with this new site, horrible lay out & dreadful hate this captcha which mean this site https://www.followthatpage.com/login are no longer work now for this. All spoilt and ruined. Thanks BTw for mess it up.

They also updated new BTw speedtest too: https://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

Edited by adslmax (Sun 19-Apr-20 13:02:39)

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 19-Apr-20 13:10:05
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Reinforcing my suggestion the other day that the Address option on the previous version may have been being "script" accessed.

I'm sure there was a lot of excess load created by scripts and web page change monitors constantly querying the database.

Oliver.
Standard User CarlTSpeak
(member) Sun 19-Apr-20 13:37:40
Print Post

Seems to work great. Thank you.

Building better networks, not just faster ones.
Standard User CarlTSpeak
(member) Sun 19-Apr-20 13:41:03
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Oliver341:
I'm sure there was a lot of excess load created by scripts and web page change monitors constantly querying the database.

Yup. Great that they've done this. People with logins can continue to use those to run queries while people who monitor it for fun are now locked out ensuring legitimate, interactive queries can be done more quickly.

In reply to a post by adslmax:
Disappointed with this new site, horrible lay out & dreadful hate this captcha which mean this site https://www.followthatpage.com/login are no longer work now for this. All spoilt and ruined. Thanks BTw for mess it up.

With all due I think denying people like yourself the ability to constantly, pointlessly query the Wholesale checker alongside freeing up resources for legitimate queries is hugely beneficial to everyone.

The new layout is excellent in my opinion. Scales properly according to screen resolution and is clearer. The output easier to parse via tools.

Building better networks, not just faster ones.

Edited by CarlTSpeak (Sun 19-Apr-20 13:45:14)

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Sun 19-Apr-20 13:46:58
Print Post

[re: CarlTSpeak] [link to this post]

BTw speedtest are awful horrible layout! The upload are incorrect slow.
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sun 19-Apr-20 14:07:44
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

While the look isn't that nice it still works and displays the required information and its now caters for mobile and tablet viewing, they have separated the data and visualization which is the correct way to do things.
As for captcha sure its a hassle to keep having to enter this and sure they could of gone with reCAPTCHA v2 (invisible) or v3 which is automated and the viewer doesn't need to enter anything unless something the user is doing triggers something.

As for BT Wholesale ruined that follow that page, this captcha version won't stop automated lookups if they are determined enough to get around it.
As for follow that page site, they were/are breaking the terms of service which states that you are not allowed to use an automated / macro to do lookups, which that site was doing so.

Like back when I was doing huge and i mean huge amounts of lookups in a day, I wrote my own application that did a lookup every 5 seconds (to not impact their system) and that was working 24 / 7 where it went through a list of addresses that didn't have fibre and once completed it waited for the start of the next week, this went on for 2 years.
Then Wholesale caught on and IP's started to get banned / blocked, it was only when BT contacted me to stop, so I did.
A year or two later fibre became available so no need to do the lookups.

I now run stuff online myself and have seen some people use automated scripts and I can see it from the other side and I think that captcha is not a bad thing if you use the services as intended.
People are just being lazy, all it takes is to check it once a day or every few days.

They also updated new BTw speedtest too: https://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

TBH I am not a fan of the change here, it gives me different results every time and its no way near my actual speed, some times it says I have 58Mbps then another try it says I have 1.8Gbits (I [censored] wish LOL)
Plus browser based speed checkers are not reliable due to each browser shows a different result, so in these cases a dedicated applications should be available.

Paul

BTBroadband - Fibre 250 with BT Halo 1 + FVA
Exchange Name: Ilford Central (LNILC) Cabinet: 24
TBB Speedtest IPv4 | TBB Speedtest IPv6 | Ookla Speedtest (Single Threaded) | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
ISP Representative uno
(isp) Sun 19-Apr-20 14:14:24
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

I doubt it was ever meant for mass automated queries in this way. The address data being open allowed for abuse so that could answer why that was taken off first. Companies pay a lot of money for the PAF data each year and this essentially gave anyone with a bit of scripting ability an easy way to get it.

There are still variables that can be passed to the URL to automate this but they are largely for service providers.

No one will know the exact reasons but there are some easy assumptions to make for the change both just because it needed a rebrand to that the other was being abused.

Matt

uno Communications
t: 0333 773 7700
uno Speedtest
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to