General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 19-Apr-20 14:22:51
Print Post

Re: New BTW Checker

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by adslmax:
The upload are incorrect slow.

Mine seems accurate, I ran it a few times too. https://i.ibb.co/z2hy6jz/image.png

Oliver.
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sun 19-Apr-20 14:28:07
Print Post

[re: CarlTSpeak] [link to this post]

I agree with you, myself being one of those people doing bulk lookups a few years back, BT was aware that I was doing and knew I was doing this for two years where my local MP told them that I had written an application that did checks for my area (well it checked all addresses on our exchange that didn't have fibre), only when BT said stop is when I stopped.

Now would I do all that again if needed, probably not.

I also think the changes that they have put in place including the captcha are a good thing.
The way I see it, they could of just locked it down for just ISP to use.

TBH I think it is now faster in displaying the page due to they are now doing it more better and correctly and the page is now reactive and works better on phones and tablets.

I think people will just moan due to change and nobody likes change, sure it looks different, but it displays all the required info so one cannot moan.

Paul

BTBroadband - Fibre 250 with BT Halo 1 + FVA
Exchange Name: Ilford Central (LNILC) Cabinet: 24
TBB Speedtest IPv4 | TBB Speedtest IPv6 | Ookla Speedtest (Single Threaded) | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sun 19-Apr-20 14:29:59
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

BTw speedtest are awful horrible layout! The upload are incorrect slow.

Well when it works it displays it correctly shown >>> HERE <<<, the upload always remained correct, only the download was all over the place.

Paul

TBB Speedtest IPv4 | TBB Speedtest IPv6 | Ookla Speedtest (Single Threaded) | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sun 19-Apr-20 14:40:02
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

I completely agree that it was abused a lot, I know I did a lot a few years back, so I can see why they did these changes.

TBH I really think that change was for the better, the captcha they are using won't stop the automated scripts overall, but it will slow some of them down, just like the changes Openreach made for their checker to stop automation.

But as to why they did the changes, I think it was a bit of everything, optimization, reduce automated abuse, update outdated look etc.

TBH the old look was broken when they added information it broke the table layout, css was broken and now it looks a lot better, is it perfect, probably not, but its early days yet.

Paul

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 19-Apr-20 14:44:02
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by PaulKirby:
As for captcha sure its a hassle to keep having to enter this and sure they could of gone with reCAPTCHA v2 (invisible) or v3 which is automated and the viewer doesn't need to enter anything unless something the user is doing triggers something.

That would involve passing data to Google which they didn't necessarily want to do.

Oliver.
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sun 19-Apr-20 14:51:57
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Oliver341:
The upload are incorrect slow.

Mine seems accurate, I ran it a few times too.

I think its hit and miss, I think you need to try different browsers and then keep using that browser for those checks in the future, that way you have information that you can compare with.

I did a few checks and at one point it told me that I had 1.8Gbits, I wish I had that speed, the latency and uploaded remained a constant value on all tests on that same browser.

I know I said I didn't like the changes of this speedtest, but overall its not that bad looking.

Both Wholesales DSL Checker and Speedtest are now reactive and using Bootstrap 4.3.1 and it looks just as good on my PC, Mobile and Tablet, thumbs up to them for their changes.

Paul

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 19-Apr-20 14:52:00
Print Post

That would involve passing data to Google which they didn't necessarily want to do.

Even cloudflare have just dumped Google for this:
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2020/04/09/cloudflare_...

20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sun 19-Apr-20 14:55:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by PaulKirby:
As for captcha sure its a hassle to keep having to enter this and sure they could of gone with reCAPTCHA v2 (invisible) or v3 which is automated and the viewer doesn't need to enter anything unless something the user is doing triggers something.

This is true, that was the only issue I had when setting it up on parts that was being abused on our sites.

They could of just added a captcha on the root page before you got to any section that information is entered.

But at the end of the day it works and that they didn't need to allow the public to do these lookups.

I am liking this look over the old one.

Paul

Standard User E300
(regular) Sun 19-Apr-20 14:58:14
Print Post

[re: MartinDee23] [link to this post]

@MartinDee23

Same here, was showing as 1000/220, had been for many months since my FTTP on Demand order got underway and it is now live, but dropped down to 330/30 just recently on the old checker and the same on this new one. The data is the same data. I checked some other addresses on the same exchange (new builds that got FTTP) and these still show 1000/220. I'm connected to Huawei kit with their ONT so not an ECI thing.

My guess is for some of us there is additional work required in the exchange to provide the 1000/220 speeds and during this lock down because they don't wish to send engineers to the exchange unnecessarily they've set the database to 330/30 so that we can't buy these upgrade speeds at the minute, i.e. saves orders coming in that they can't fulfil or that get stuck in the system.
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 19-Apr-20 17:57:53
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by uno:
Some may have noticed that part of the old BT Wholesale DSL checker have been broken for some time.

A new one has been launched at https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/ which seems to be fully functional.

Matt
The old one worked fine for me yesterday, and at least it doesn't require captcha nor that I scroll my browser.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to