General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Thu 16-Jul-20 11:15:36
Print Post

Re: New BTW Checker

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by broadband66:
You don't own the line.

I pay the bill so it my line!

PN FTTC 80/20 since 2014
Standard User broadband66
(knowledge is power) Thu 16-Jul-20 11:17:08
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

It's rented!

Can you legally move the BT master Box? No you can't!

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk

Edited by broadband66 (Thu 16-Jul-20 11:18:00)

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 16-Jul-20 11:42:00
Print Post

You are paying for a service, the conditions for that service do not include you having access to that information - the service the ISP is paying for does include them getting the information. When buying services you agree to the conditions of the service and what is included within it - if you want a higher service level than the standard then you could try and negotiate with the ISP/BT for it - you could also just ask your ISP for the data and see if they are willing to share it.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 16-Jul-20 12:30:44
Print Post

In reply to a post by adslmax:
I don't understand why BTw keep it secret not letting the customer view it as we are paying for our broadband to the ISP! Our line we have the rights to know!

You're not the customer of BTw or Openreach, you're the customer of the ISP. And the ISP is renting the ability to send signals down the wires of Openreach, and using the backhaul services of BTw, or others. As with Virgin Media (and Sky) when you stop paying, they request the equipment back from your home. It is loaned to use the service.

This is why you cannot touch the Openreach wires before the demarcation point.

20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Thu 16-Jul-20 12:37:10
Print Post

It's rented!

Agreed, you are paying for a service, hence the Line Rental which sort of gives it away.

Can you legally move the BT master Box? No you can't!

Well long story short several + years ago, a BT Sub Contractor did a bad job with a re-wire resulting in the wires breaking several years later, so I replaced the whole lot (Master Socket NTE5a, BT80 Box from a BT Engineer) brought the correct spec cable and connected it all up.

There was no way we were going to pay for an engineer callout for something that wasn't our fault.

BT wasn't too happy about it, but what was done was done, but they did some tests and was fine with it, they did say we would be charged if at a later date if it caused damages to their infrastructure, I said fine it won't.

It was easier when we moved over to FTTP due to phone is via FVA and not the copper line, so I just terminated the copper line at the BT80 Box and then once again moved the Master Socket to a new more better location where I then connected the cable the BT Fibre Engineer left in place for me ready for when the FVA goes live.

Once again BT was fine with that too.

But yeah you are not really "allowed" to touch it.

Paul

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Thu 16-Jul-20 12:40:07
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
As with Virgin Media (and Sky) when you stop paying, they request the equipment back from your home. It is loaned to use the service.

BT are doing that now with the Smart Hub 2, which is why mine is still in its box safely on the shelf.

Paul

Standard User broadband66
(knowledge is power) Thu 16-Jul-20 12:40:43
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

I changed mine as well. Two wires, not a big deal but legally!!!

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 16-Jul-20 12:47:26
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

As I underatnd it, there are two or three reasons:

Firstly to give BT Technicians an in van supply of reconditioned devices to use as spares

Secondly, part of BTs drive to reduce electronic waste - you can send any old hub/router/modem and power supply plus cables back to them and they will recycle. In recent years BT has always pushed a green/renewable/minimal waste agenda and have recently said they will move to an all electric fleet as soon as possible including company cars.

And third - potentially reduce their expenditure.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Thu 16-Jul-20 12:58:43
Print Post

I changed mine as well. Two wires, not a big deal but legally!!!

Agreed, but BT still has a hissy fit, I explain its not that hard to do that and explain my background etc and what I did 20+ years back, sure that still doesn't allow me to do it, but they do seem a little bit more reasonable after knowing that.

But if BT would of told me that they was going to send an engineer out to resolve the issue and that I wouldn't be charged for it, then yeah, I would of let them do it.

But sadly that wasn't the case at the time and plus it was a real simple job, so I did it myself.

Paul

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Thu 16-Jul-20 13:15:46
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Agreed, I think the third might be one of the main ones which is why they say when you leave us please send the SH2 back or you might / will be charged for it.

Many years ago on most of the old hardware I use to remove the components off the boards to be used later on for projects, I use to send the empty old boards to an old friend of mine when he was alive that use to extract the metals from the board and some old IC's that were bad.
Some places use to take some of the old plastic cases where they would melt them down and recycle the plastic ( I think they ended up at pellets).

Sadly now days most electrical equipment are single chip designs, so not much money ore need to strip the boards, sure I can remove the FPGa and ASIC devices, but the rest are not worth it.

Paul

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to