General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 16-Jul-20 13:37:19
Print Post

Re: New BTW Checker

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by PaulKirby:
Agreed, I think the third might be one of the main ones which is why they say when you leave us please send the SH2 back or you might / will be charged for it.

That will produce a small revenue stream, the first will save money.

Not sure what they do with consumer but with business you can now say NO on contract renewal - which will say you the delivery charge and it sitting on a shelf..

A lot of electronics goes back to the far east where there are a lot of small back street industries melting down boards and extracting the metals - lead, silver, gold. They make a living from it although the working conditions are abysmal.

Problem with plastics is that a large number of industries demand "virgin plastic" - you can understand for food or medical use, but why is it needed for some car trims for example? Although in some countries such as Norway, plastic drinks bottles are often reused rather than recycled.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Thu 16-Jul-20 14:43:14
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by broadband66:
It's rented!

Can you legally move the BT master Box? No you can't!

You can as my mate did move his master socket as Engineer isn't happy about it but his line was working fine and gained extra speed. Openreach are useless job (quite often)

PN FTTC 80/20 since 2014
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 16-Jul-20 19:12:48
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

You can as my mate did move his master socket as Engineer isn't happy about it but his line was working fine and gained extra speed. Openreach are useless job (quite often)

So ‘your mate’ did it illegally. No you cannot.

You can take someone’s property, but that’s still theft,

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 16-Jul-20 20:09:54
Print Post

In reply to a post by adslmax:

Why don't you tell them that to their face ...

I can assure you that Openreach staff are possibly some of the best engineering people in this country and are often asked to chair international committees in the aspects of telecommunications and data services. And I have met a lot more OR staff than you ever will.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Thu 16-Jul-20 20:36:07
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Well I met a few (20 odd young BT Trainee Engineers) 20+ years ago where I was working at the time and while some were full of themselves (who isn't at that age) they were all nice people to chat and have a laugh with.

Its the same when I use to chat to a few when I see them working at our hardware, also the ones that chat via Twitter which I still chat to now and then, they have all always been nice and polite.

So I cannot say any bad word against them.

Paul

Standard User clyde123
(member) Fri 17-Jul-20 08:58:52
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

It might be a bit off topic, but I just have to chime in about BT/Openreach engineers.
Yes, about 20 years ago (maybe more) we had a workshop on the edge of an industrial park. One night, about midnight, the bad guys came along to break in. At that time the word on the street was that if you tore out the phone lines, the burglar alarms could not signal back to base. Anyway, we had BT Redcare which sent a signal down the wire constantly, but got interrupted when the line went down.
So of course, the alarm went off, the police got called automatically, and me too.
It was a mess, phone lines torn down everywhere. Of course it was cold and the rain was pouring down, but we had to get the alarm line working again, who knew if the bad guys were watching.
We had whatever level of care it was, so phoned BT and an engineer came out and fixed it.

The point of the story is - it was cold, wet, out in the middle of trees just the engineer and me, 2 o'clock in the morning. And the real point is that this engineer, in his fifties, that was his first shift back after a heart attack.
I still have a good admiration for these guys.
Standard User CarlTSpeak
(member) Fri 17-Jul-20 09:46:53
Print Post

In reply to a post by adslmax:
I prefer BT Wholesale Enhanced Broadband Availability Checker better than normal broadband availability checker because it got extra features but sadly it only for the ISP to logged this! Seem unfair!

Enhanced Broadband Availability Checker give you extra to view:

Bras IP Profile
MTBE data
Retrains data
Open order on the line data
Speed profile data

I don't understand why BTw keep it secret not letting the customer view it as we are paying for our broadband to the ISP! Our line we have the rights to know!

What possible benefit could there be to either BT Wholesale or your ISP in exposing this information to you?

You'd constantly be looking at it and raising support tickets to your ISP when there's nothing actually wrong with your service, and you wouldn't be the only one.

It's a genuine question on the benefits. How would exposing that information help anyone, with the possible exception of the open order data?

Building better networks, not just faster ones.
Standard User broadband66
(knowledge is power) Fri 17-Jul-20 12:26:39
Print Post

Yes you can physically move your Master Socket but it isn't legal.

You can physically break the law by speeding in a car but is it legal? No.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 17-Jul-20 13:01:38
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
‘your mate’ did it illegally. No you cannot.
Not sure I would have chosen the word illegal to describe the action of someone other than an Openreach engineer or contractor moving a master telephone line socket.

Edited by dect (Fri 17-Jul-20 22:23:25)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to