General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Ewan_pearson
(newbie) Sat 23-May-20 11:54:09
Print Post

Video calls (Zoom, Teams, Skype) freezing

[link to this post]

Hi

I use Vodafone ISP with their router. FTTC - about 1.6km from the cabinet.

With recent working at home have had to use zoom/teams etc. but find that almost all calls freeze making video calls almost unusable. Problem persists if wired or over wifi.

Broadbank quality graph link is here: broadband quality check

Download speed is about 15-16MB/s; upload speed varies between 0.5-0.9MB/sec.

Questions:
1. What does the broadband quality graph show? Is this ok? Seems to be a lot of high latency and packet loss but not sure what to expect?
2. Is this a problem with the router? i.e. would I get better video calls with a better router? if so what is recommended?
3. If this is just to do with the distance we are from the cabinet and is 'unresolvable' is there any mileage in using 4G (we get about 17MB/s download and upload on O2 network).

Thanks for any help! I'm struggling to work at home effectively!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 23-May-20 18:17:45
Print Post

Re: Video calls (Zoom, Teams, Skype) freezing

[re: Ewan_pearson] [link to this post]

Assuming you were using the connection between 8am and 1pm today it all looks normal.

Zoom like most conference apps will try to use close to 1 Mbps of upload, so that may be your problem i.e. sending your video to others saturating the link and causing problems.

1. Try doing audio only i.e. reduce bandwidth used can view others video still
2. If you need video turn off HD Video in zoom settings

If 4G is giving you 2 to 3 Mbps upload then 4G may be better for these calls.

Also make sure you are connecting to the vodafone router via Ethernet, the Wi-FI can be less than perfect with their router e.g. I have found in the past devices flip flopping between wireless bands and this causing drop outs (solved by splitting the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands into different SSID names and only telling device about the 5 GHz one).

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to