General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User sparky_paul
(experienced) Sun 28-Jun-20 14:52:38
Print Post

Re: BT/Openreach migration gateway

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

After several failed automatic reconnection attempts, far too quick for the router to boot up, power came back up after about 10 minutes. Been okay since, wind seems to have dropped. Hope they haven't got any repairs to do, or it will be off again in the next few days.

You would think that the cab would ignore any disconnections whilst on backup power.

>>> BTFibre 2 FTTC

Edited by sparky_paul (Sun 28-Jun-20 14:54:18)

Standard User TrevorSP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 28-Jun-20 14:59:38
Print Post

[re: sparky_paul] [link to this post]

The wind is quite strong in our area of Essex too at the moment. The sea is hitting well over the normal doggie walk areas, not that I have a dog at the moment as I am having a rest between dogs.

I look after "End of Life" dogs, rather than them being in National Animal Welfare Trust kennels until they die, they come to me or a few other volunteers who look after them at home and we have been taught to look after them "medically wise" until the end.

It's a good idea as they don't end their days in kennels but at home and going for walks when they want, if they want etc. smile

Regards,
Trevor

BT 80/20 and Mobile phone package. Happy with both
"Aquila non capit muscas uel timet latrantem canem"
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 29-Jun-20 09:50:08
Print Post

The kit in the cab may not know it is on backup power - there may be no signal connection between the battery and the equipment so as far as the equipment is concerned it has continuous power. Also, in many cases the end user equipment may be suffering a power cut but the cab may still be powered as it could well be on a different part of the grid unaffected by the power cut.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(experienced) Mon 29-Jun-20 10:52:35
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
The kit in the cab may not know it is on backup power - there may be no signal connection between the battery and the equipment so as far as the equipment is concerned it has continuous power. Also, in many cases the end user equipment may be suffering a power cut but the cab may still be powered as it could well be on a different part of the grid unaffected by the power cut.

I'm not saying the cabinet does know that it's on backup power, just that's it's possible for it to be flagged - similar to a PC UPS triggering a soft shutdown in the case of a power cut.

In our case, the whole village went off during the power cut, but it's quite possible to lose smaller groups of supplies, or those connected to on one phase, for example. Perhaps the cab could spot multiple simultaneous line failures and flag it as an event... and not muck about with the DLM!

>>> BTFibre 2 FTTC
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 29-Jun-20 11:25:19
Print Post

It's possible for it to be flagged but only if the hardware and software supports it - quite likely that this is costed out as it would add additional cost to the equipment that has relatively low gain for the supplier. It's also possible they have never even considered that it might be worthwhile doing so just haven't looked at even what it would cost to do it. For a server in a data centre a controlled power down before the power fails is critical to protect the server from data corruption - for a node in the DSL network it is much less critical from the suppliers perspective.
(experienced) Mon 29-Jun-20 12:13:41
Print Post

To be honest, I would still be surprised if the battery backup was completely dumb. Surely a power failure is logged by the system, if only as a diagnostic aid... or even reported back to OR. Would be interesting if any OR engineers could confirm. I have plenty of experience with industrial control systems, but little with telecoms, beyond working on PABX many years ago.

>>> BTFibre 2 FTTC
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 29-Jun-20 13:19:35
Print Post

They may well log the power outages but might do it using an SNMP connection to the UPS rather than to the switch - still doesn't mean they have any direct connection between the DLM systems and the UPS logging. I don't disagree that it could be done but the work to make it happen and change the DLM system for it is likely to cost money. The fact they seem not to have done it either means they have never considered it or they don't consider the investment to be worth the results.
(experienced) Mon 29-Jun-20 13:43:57
Print Post

In reply to a post by ian72:
The fact they seem not to have done it either means they have never considered it or they don't consider the investment to be worth the results.

I don't disagree with that. Most aren't afflicted by power cuts like we are in the sticks, and it's sporadic at that. Add to that the fact that it only really affects those who are also in the clutches of DLM training, and that's not going to be many.

Perhaps I'm getting bored.

Even so, I have thought about one of the really cheap 12v UPS devices you can now buy that will supply 1A for an hour, just to maintain the router.

>>> BTFibre 2 FTTC
(experienced) Tue 30-Jun-20 09:12:22
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

Right, something's happened overnight,

DSL uptime:0 days,07 Hours56 Mins13 Secs
Data rate:19.999 Mbps / 70.688 Mbps
Maximum data rate:25.118 Mbps / 72.268 Mbps
Noise margin:15.0 / 6.1
Line attenuation:7.3 / 13.1
Signal attenuation:7.2 / 14.6
VLAN id:101
Upstream error control:Off
Downstream error control:Off

Down sync 60.2 >> 56 >> now 70.6Mb

Is that as a result of G.INP? SNR is back to 6.1 and things seem to be heading in the right direction.

>>> BTFibre 2 FTTC

Edited by sparky_paul (Tue 30-Jun-20 09:28:05)

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Tue 30-Jun-20 09:36:22
Print Post

Yes as it seem G.INP has added 10Mbps on your line now as this the max sync rate now. Next steps DLM is to tries lower SNR target 3dB as it might reduced 1dB as a time all the way down to 3dB from 6dB. As I think max sync rate could go up around 73-74 Meg for sync rate @ 3dB.

PN FTTC 80/20 since 2014

Edited by adslmax (Tue 30-Jun-20 09:42:59)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to