General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jez9999
(member) Sun 12-Jul-20 20:31:33
Print Post

Do Virgin Media have to tidy up their outside cable?

[link to this post]

I've recently moved in to a new-build house, and by law all new-build houses now have to have FTTP cables installed for both BT and Virgin Media. Trouble is, the actual indoor equipment (and neat box on the outside wall) are only installed when you actually opt to purchase BT or VM's service. Until then, you have a cable going into the house with an ugly drawstring; here's a photo of what the front of my house looks like currently:

My house

I've gone with BT; however there are various neighbours that have clearly gone with Virgin Media and the Virgin installation has put a much tidier box on the wall; here's the front of my neighbour's house:

Neighbour's house

Is there a way I can get Virgin Media to tidy this up on my house? I don't want to go with them, but I don't want this ugly draw string to be sitting around at the front of the house either.

If the worst comes to the worst, could I sign up for their services (to get the neat and tidy box installed) and use the 14 day cooling off period to cancel the service?

=== Jez ===
Internet
Zen unlimited full fibre 2 | https://www.speedtest.net/result/8718060020.png
Hardware
Line: FTTP with Huawei EchoLife HG8110H-20 ONT
Router: FRITZ!Box 7530
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Sun 12-Jul-20 20:53:57
Print Post

Re: Do Virgin Media have to tidy up their outside cable?

[re: jez9999] [link to this post]

That's tidy, you should see the state of much of their wiring around here (SW9) dangling down the front of buildings and running across gardens on the surface. As for their cabs, I can only assume they get a discount by not fitting doors as many have none and are totally exposed to the elements.
Standard User jez9999
(member) Sun 12-Jul-20 21:04:43
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

Soooo, advice? lol

=== Jez ===
Internet
Hardware

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jpm
(learned) Sun 12-Jul-20 21:07:03
Print Post

I'm interested in this new law, not something I've heard about. Do you have a source?
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 12-Jul-20 21:12:42
Print Post

and by law all new-build houses now have to have FTTP cables installed for both BT and Virgin Media.

I don’t believe that’s correct.

Standard User Highland76
(member) Sun 12-Jul-20 21:17:38
Print Post

[re: jpm] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jpm:
I'm interested in this new law, not something I've heard about. Do you have a source?

+1

The only law i know of is that the developer has to provide a voice service whether over copper or fibre. But fibre costs the same as copper from Openreach if the developer is building at least 20 plots so bit of a no-brainer for the developer on a big site.

Also I'm surprised in the OPs's case, the developer has chosen both Openreach FTTP and Virgin from the outset - almost unheard of for the developer to choose 2 network providers. Not that the residents will be complaining!

BT Business FTTP 330/50 -- Netgear RAX200

Edited by Highland76 (Sun 12-Jul-20 21:26:30)

Standard User jez9999
(member) Sun 12-Jul-20 21:27:09
Print Post

[re: Highland76] [link to this post]

Guess I was pretty lucky then. Still the problem of the ugly Virgin Media cable remains!

=== Jez ===
Internet
Hardware
Standard User jpm
(learned) Sun 12-Jul-20 21:27:41
Print Post

It's great having both VM and Openreach FTTP - much better than being limited to some Persimmon-owned ISP monopoly or being on one of those housing estate altnets that doesn't have any unique positive qualities to it.
Standard User gary333
(committed) Sun 12-Jul-20 21:28:39
Print Post

I am pretty sure the house builder is supposed to fit the trims, they certainly do on the new builds around here.

The builder should have left it looking like page 13 in the new build handbook.
https://www.virginmedia.com/content/dam/virginmedia/...

Edited by gary333 (Sun 12-Jul-20 21:31:35)

Standard User Highland76
(member) Sun 12-Jul-20 21:33:48
Print Post

In reply to a post by jez9999:
Still the problem of the ugly Virgin Media cable remains!

Give VM a call and tell them if they don't tidy up their cabling outside your home, then you're not responsible for any damage your rottweiler does wink

On a serious note, that VM setup looks like an obvious 'snag'. Get in touch with the developer and ask them to tidy it up, via VM if necessary.

Edited by Highland76 (Sun 12-Jul-20 21:38:23)

Standard User jez9999
(member) Sun 12-Jul-20 21:52:41
Print Post

[re: gary333] [link to this post]

You mean page 4?

=== Jez ===
Internet
Hardware
Standard User gary333
(committed) Sun 12-Jul-20 21:58:53
Print Post

You mean page 4?

Either / or, they both show how the duct and trim (or as virgin call it the omni-box) should be fitted. The document I have provided you is what you need to share with house builder if they refuse to fix their shoddy work.
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 12-Jul-20 22:07:44
Print Post

[re: gary333] [link to this post]

Confusion lies in the fact the pictures you're referring to are on page 12 not page 13, but it was obvious what you were referring to either way.
Standard User gary333
(committed) Sun 12-Jul-20 22:13:47
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by j0hn83:
Confusion lies in the fact the pictures you're referring to are on page 12 not page 13, but it was obvious what you were referring to either way.

How bizarre. On my iPhone they show on Page 13 of the slider as you scroll down a PDF. However just checked and page 13 shows as page 12 where the page number is embedded by Virgin in the document. So yep page 12 is the money shot hehe smile

Edited by gary333 (Sun 12-Jul-20 22:21:51)

Standard User TheInstaller
(learned) Sun 12-Jul-20 23:12:18
Print Post

As you are not a customer of VM, and they have not installed anything as yet at your new house, they won't be interested in coming out to you unless you pay them.

The white cable sticking out of your wall will have been installed by the builders, ready for a VM connection. If you have an issue with this, or the blue rope, then i would suggest you speak to the developer, as they have done the work.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 12-Jul-20 23:25:28
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

No law that I am aware of, and lots of builders breaking it if it is a law.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 13-Jul-20 16:05:00
Print Post

[re: TheInstaller] [link to this post]

On the VM instructions for builders linked to, on the page 12 referred to the duct from below ground is seen as ending under a CATV cover, and the brown wall box just above it.

Not only that, but a distance of 350mm from the Openreach external box is prescribed. Not followed in either of the OP's links.

Given the small amount of ground area we see, it looks a bit to me as though they have moved in before that part of the finishing off of the installation and ground covering has been completed.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connection - Three B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up. 1+ 8 Pro max 80Mbps down, 24Mbps up.
=========================
To argue with a mindless bigot is foolish.
Standard User gary333
(committed) Mon 13-Jul-20 16:29:50
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
On the VM instructions for builders linked to, on the page 12 referred to the duct from below ground is seen as ending under a CATV cover, and the brown wall box just above it.

Not only that, but a distance of 350mm from the Openreach external box is prescribed. Not followed in either of the OP's links.

Given the small amount of ground area we see, it looks a bit to me as though they have moved in before that part of the finishing off of the installation and ground covering has been completed.

Yeah, it does looks like the tarmac (or whatever is going to be butting up to the house) should be a single brick higher. Wonder if this is the hardcore before the tarmac. This would mean the green ducting would fall flush.
Standard User Nick_W789
(newbie) Mon 13-Jul-20 20:39:50
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I think the OP means part R of the Building Regs

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/...

For single dwellings it means very little - a hole in a wall is sufficient. It’s more useful for flats as it requires the developer to allow for cable runs in the communal areas.

For most people, high speed access is a selling point so it would be unusual for developers not to take up the generous offers from Openreach, Virgin etc
Standard User jamesmary8130130
(newbie) Mon 13-Jul-20 22:09:21
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

you can google it , bro
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 14-Jul-20 00:08:31
Print Post

[re: jamesmary8130130] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jamesmary8130130:
you can google it , bro
Maybe you could post your link to a reliable source.

For a starter, given the developer can, and many do, opt to go for some other supplier, that would seem to be against our own and EU competition law.

It's possible the writer of your source has misunderstood the various options; regulations and laws.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connection - Three B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up. 1+ 8 Pro max 80Mbps down, 24Mbps up.
=========================
To argue with a mindless bigot is foolish.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 14-Jul-20 10:49:55
Print Post

[re: jamesmary8130130] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jamesmary8130130:
you can google it , bro
I just tried that, nothing came up to support your statement and it fundamentally is not happening so either you have read a law that might happen in the future or something has been misunderstood. No-one on here has heard of a law that requires all new builds to have both Openreach and Virgin and Google doesn't suggest anything.
Standard User jez9999
(member) Thu 16-Jul-20 09:49:02
Print Post

[re: TheInstaller] [link to this post]

I've been in touch with the builder, and for those interested, here's the response:

I have spoken to South Electrical over the wires you are referring to so I understand what happens with these better.

We arrange for our electricians South Electrical in this case fed the cables out of the wall for Virgin to be able to supply a service route to the plot. These are then left loose until Virgin then tidy attend site on their own schedule and tidy them away under the cover box; Virgin do this irrelevant of the customer or plot having a virgin service.

I am sorry but this is as much information as I can give you over the process that comes along with Virgins works.

Your next steps would be to contact Virgin as this is not something to do with us.

So the builders aren't interested, and Virgin presumably aren't interested.

Thinking of just ordering Virgin so they come and install something decent, then using the cooling-off period to cancel. Hope that doesn't backfire...

=== Jez ===
Internet
Hardware
Standard User Highland76
(member) Thu 16-Jul-20 10:47:38
Print Post

Perhaps unsurprisingly the builder is passing the buck, when THEY should be arranging to get it tidied up - irrespective of who they do it through. Is your 10 year warranty through NHBC? If so get in touch with them to seek advice. There’s a good chance the developer will sort this out quickly once you get NHBC involved. No need to place a dummy order with Virgin.

Standard User jpm
(learned) Thu 16-Jul-20 11:00:27
Print Post

You could try contacting their new sites team:

https://www.virginmedia.com/lightning/network-expans...
Standard User jez9999
(member) Thu 16-Jul-20 11:51:27
Print Post

I've e-mailed NHBC. Guess we'll see what happens.

=== Jez ===
Internet
Hardware
Standard User gary333
(committed) Fri 17-Jul-20 18:15:04
Print Post

I've been in touch with the builder, and for those interested, here's the response:

I have spoken to South Electrical over the wires you are referring to so I understand what happens with these better.

We arrange for our electricians South Electrical in this case fed the cables out of the wall for Virgin to be able to supply a service route to the plot. These are then left loose until Virgin then tidy attend site on their own schedule and tidy them away under the cover box; Virgin do this irrelevant of the customer or plot having a virgin service.

I am sorry but this is as much information as I can give you over the process that comes along with Virgins works.

Your next steps would be to contact Virgin as this is not something to do with us.

So the builders aren't interested, and Virgin presumably aren't interested.

Thinking of just ordering Virgin so they come and install something decent, then using the cooling-off period to cancel. Hope that doesn't backfire...

They are talking cack. I'd ask them where did they get Virgin Media green ducting from as that's the same place they get the covers from. They are giving you the run around. Next they'll be telling you that they ask the Gas and Electricity companies to come around and put the meter boxes on the house. Makes me wonder how they managed to get the BT equipment setup correctly.

Edited by gary333 (Fri 17-Jul-20 18:17:53)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to