General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 20-Aug-20 08:30:39
Print Post

Switching BB supplier

[link to this post]

Isn't it about time ISP's allowed you to chose a date for your switch?

Just coming to the end of my contract with Shell and in order to avoid a nasty hike in pricing have had to switch early again. frown

Last year the saving was well worth switching with a couple of months left on my Sky contract, even allowing for the early termination charges, but this year it involves an increase, so not only will I lose a months BB (depending on the time it takes to switch), but also have to pay early termination charges and a monthly increase.

Keef- Sheerness Kent UK - Shell Energy BB via Technicolor TG582N

Previously - NowTV, Plusnet, Sky, EE, New Call Telecom/Fuelbroadband, Virgin/NTL/Bell Cable, Crosswinds, IC24, FreeOnlineNet, X-Stream, Totalise, Freeserve, Force9, TescoNet, AOL, Freenetname, Pipex, E7
===========

Edited by hk11 (Thu 20-Aug-20 08:31:43)

Standard User flilot
(regular) Tue 25-Aug-20 15:52:10
Print Post

Re: Switching BB supplier

[re: hk11] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by hk11:
Isn't it about time ISP's allowed you to chose a date for your switch?

If you think about it, technically, you can choose. You find out your current provider's minimum notice period for cancellation/migration (something like 14 days), and count that back from the date you want to migrate or cancel. Even if the migration or cancellation does not take place on the (15th per the example) day, you'll know it'll be around that date.

Carl
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 25-Aug-20 16:24:40
Print Post

[re: flilot] [link to this post]

Well, yes, but it would be much simpler if ISPs allowed you to select a date.

Maybe I have been unlucky, but I don't think I have ever managed to find a replacement provider that started the new contract when the old one finished. There always seems to be some problem or another.

My current switch (from Shell to Plusnet) has already moved without any request if this is OK. You should be able to request a date and have a smooth transition from one provider to the next. wink

Previously - NowTV, Plusnet, Sky, EE, New Call Telecom/Fuelbroadband, Virgin/NTL/Bell Cable, Crosswinds, IC24, FreeOnlineNet, X-Stream, Totalise, Freeserve, Force9, TescoNet, AOL, Freenetname, Pipex, E7
===========

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 25-Aug-20 16:31:25
Print Post

Well, yes, but it would be much simpler if ISPs allowed you to select a date.

Maybe I have been unlucky, but I don't think I have ever managed to find a replacement provider that started the new contract when the old one finished. There always seems to be some problem or another.

My current switch (from Shell to Plusnet) has already moved without any request if this is OK. You should be able to request a date and have a smooth transition from one provider to the next. wink

I have not had a problem choosing a switch date when placing web orders. IIRC the date had to be in the next 6 weeks or so.

Michael Chare
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Tue 25-Aug-20 16:37:08
Print Post

smooth transition from one provider to the next
I've never experienced anything other than a smooth transition.
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 25-Aug-20 16:40:54
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

I'm amazed you have been given the option! I don't think I have ever seen a choice in all the contracts I have "signed".

===========
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 25-Aug-20 16:42:13
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

Lucky you!

===========
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Tue 25-Aug-20 16:47:29
Print Post

Perhaps you're paying the price for going for rock bottom ISPs?
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 25-Aug-20 16:50:11
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

Quite possibly, but it shouldn't be the case. All ISPs should have a minimum standard and abide by the same rules.

===========
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 25-Aug-20 17:29:29
Print Post

I'm amazed you have been given the option! I don't think I have ever seen a choice in all the contracts I have "signed".

Most ISP's I've signed up with have an option where you can choose the date OpenReach installs the service, even picking an AM/PM time slot.
Simply pick the date you want

With a migration it's not the same, but it's 10 working days from ordering.
So in that instance simply order 14 days before you want to switch.

It's not as complicated as you're making it out to be.

Edited by j0hn83 (Tue 25-Aug-20 17:30:34)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to