General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 09-Sep-20 01:09:44
Print Post

Re: Line drops under load (random)

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

There was another PPP drop under load at 13.39 with the ZyXel router. In order to rule out ZyXel I have swapped it for a TP-Link WD9970. It ran for about 5 hours and then I did a download and it dropped at 00:27. Has to be ISP gateway/termination equipment?

Tim
www.uno.net.uk & freenetname
Asus RT-AC68U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80/20 Meg Fibre
Speed Test

Current Sync: 79993/19661

BQM
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 09-Sep-20 05:55:28
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

I don’t know Tim .... it seems a very random/unusual fault.

I suppose, if pushed for a guess, now you have had a lift and shift done (that is what is implied by recent posts isn’t it ?) I would probably agree.

Will your service provider strip out and then rebuild your account on their home gateway ?

Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 09-Sep-20 06:00:04
Print Post

SP is banging on about an SFI/Engineer and they sent me extended data of a test which said interference at my property. I suppose a sudden burst of noise could drop the PPP session but the data said the interference was between 00:00 and 23:45.

Tim
Speed Test

BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kevindb
(regular) Wed 09-Sep-20 09:54:08
Print Post

In reply to a post by Banger:
SP is banging on about an SFI/Engineer and they sent me extended data of a test which said interference at my property. I suppose a sudden burst of noise could drop the PPP session but the data said the interference was between 00:00 and 23:45.

Are you able to collect any error stats from your modem/router? FEC & CRC errors would be the most useful. Also, looking at your BQM graph, do the line drops happen at the same time I see those regular latency spikes? Errors could be the cause of those spikes since data has to be buffered whilst it waits to be retransmitted.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 09-Sep-20 13:18:02
Print Post

As the other poster asked ? Do your stats give any inkling of interference ?

Heavy corrected error rate, variable SNR, packet loss ?

Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 09-Sep-20 14:19:55
Print Post

Here's my stats, last two drops in the monitoring window were 00:27 and 3:02.

Crc

https://ibb.co/KqSnxBz

FEC

https://ibb.co/mX1dJ5Q

ES per hour

https://ibb.co/1G5rwm1

SNR

https://ibb.co/yBfNHFp

BQM

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/...

I cant see any particular blips around 00:27 or 3:02 on the graphs although I can see my Upload SNR is behaving rather eratically over the last hour or so. Can you take a look at my graphs above?

Edit I do see some packet loss around 00:27 and 3:02 on the BQM but that could also be the disconnect.

Tim
Speed Test

BQM

Edited by Banger (Wed 09-Sep-20 14:23:45)

Standard User kevindb
(regular) Wed 09-Sep-20 16:52:58
Print Post

My opinion is that those levels of FEC/CRC/ES rates are irrelevant.
The BQM packet losses of around 20 seconds duration are indicative of the PPP sessions dropping and then re-establishing.

I've a horrible feeling that a lot of packet captures on the WAN side and as much logging as possible on the PPP handling process on your router and your ISP doing the same is the only way forward, unless you can provoke this at will.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 09-Sep-20 17:40:59
Print Post

They really are nothing to write home about ... quite where this leaves you for a next step, I am unsure. I do however think your CP will insist on an SFI visit, and do believe this will give a ‘right when tested’ result.

Helpful - not.

Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 09-Sep-20 20:00:40
Print Post

[re: kevindb] [link to this post]

No more drops since the last one at 3:02 but I am seeing a slowdown. My 50 sync line is downloading at around 30mbps on the test file and TBB file also instead of maxing out at 46mbps. Also the download on netmeter is very spikey instead of a solid block of data.

Tim
Speed Test

BQM
Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 09-Sep-20 22:16:48
Print Post

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
I don’t know Tim .... it seems a very random/unusual fault.

I suppose, if pushed for a guess, now you have had a lift and shift done (that is what is implied by recent posts isn’t it ?) I would probably agree.

Will your service provider strip out and then rebuild your account on their home gateway ?
I had a lift and shift done at a site and it didn't improve matters. Another visit some time later and the engineer fixed it by moving to a port on a different line card in the cabinet.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to