General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Ganholio
(newbie) Wed 09-Sep-20 19:27:17
Print Post

Fibre in pole connected to wrong exchange

[link to this post]

Hi I wonder if someone can advise, Im stuck in a stupidity loop with bt and open reach, I have recently had open reach engineer confirm to me that the fibre unit on the pole surving my home (dp133) is connected to the wrong exchange due to a 3rd party engineer setting it up incorrectly, pole dp133 is connected to long Sutton exchange but the fibre connection is connected to gedney exchange, he said to call bt and explain a 3rd party open reach engineer setup fibre on the pole incorrect and it needs to be connected to the long Sutton exchange not the gedney one it is currently connected

When explaining my situation to bt they flatly refuse to do anything about the issue and will not authorise any work to be done to fix the issue.

This seems uttermadness to me as I will never be able to connect to fibre and the fibre unit on the pole will sit there forever unused.

Any advise would be appreciated
Warm regards
Mr miller
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 09-Sep-20 20:06:53
Print Post

Re: Fibre in pole connected to wrong exchange

[re: Ganholio] [link to this post]

FTTP or FTTC ?

Standard User Ganholio
(newbie) Wed 09-Sep-20 20:09:17
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Fttp

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Highland76
(member) Wed 09-Sep-20 20:32:37
Print Post

In reply to a post by Ganholio:
I have recently had open reach engineer confirm to me that the fibre unit on the pole surving my home (dp133) is connected to the wrong exchange due to a 3rd party engineer setting it up incorrectly, pole dp133 is connected to long Sutton exchange but the fibre connection is connected to gedney exchange, he said to call bt and explain a 3rd party open reach engineer setup fibre on the pole incorrect and it needs to be connected to the long Sutton exchange not the gedney one it is currently connected

Any particular reason why this Openreach 'engineer' couldn't report this anomaly himself considering its Openreach's own kit? Why should it be left up to end users (Joe Public) to tell Openreach that their contractors are hooking up fibre to the wrong exchange? In case you're not aware Openreach have their own audit and QA/QC procedures, something major like this would easily get flagged up without you having to call up your CP.

Sorry but I smell the brown stuff, ie you are being fed porkies.

BT Business FTTP 330/50 Mbps -- Netgear RAX200

Edited by Highland76 (Wed 09-Sep-20 20:36:19)

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 09-Sep-20 22:00:16
Print Post

So it is spliced through to the wrong head end ?? Seems unlikely.

Standard User jpm
(regular) Wed 09-Sep-20 22:09:11
Print Post

It doesn't sound plausible that someone has connected to the wrong exchange, presumably there are light tests that take place before the area is opened up to orders.

You don't need to explain anything to BT - the Openreach engineer who comes out needs to update the notes on their job properly, and your ISP then need to read these notes in the event of a problem and act accordingly. If you're getting nowhere then escalate within BT as they are your ISP.
Standard User Ganholio
(newbie) Wed 09-Sep-20 22:12:42
Print Post

[re: jpm] [link to this post]

I do belive it could happen as I'm at the end of the line for long Sutton exchange and the next houses along are on the other exchange, they it appears they have added a extra fibre box to my pole from the other exchange.
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 09-Sep-20 22:17:09
Print Post

Its important to note that your copper DP133 and your Fibre DP won't necessarily go back to the same telephone exchange, this is by design. I would find it very unlikely (although never say never) that your fibre has been connected to the wrong aggregation node as there is a whole lot of work done to design and plan the fibre network. Its not as simple as a contractors accidently connecting you to the wrong exchange.

Edited by dect (Wed 09-Sep-20 22:21:27)

Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 09-Sep-20 22:28:07
Print Post

In reply to a post by Ganholio:
I do belive it could happen as I'm at the end of the line for long Sutton exchange and the next houses along are on the other exchange, they it appears they have added a extra fibre box to my pole from the other exchange.
If this is true and BT/Openreach are unwilling to provide a FTTP broadband service over what exists I can't see anyone coming back to correct it as it could be a massive job and could cost tens of thousands to resolve. I am aware of dozens of properties not to far from me that have their copper service from one exchange and their FTTP from another as there is no fibre head end in their copper exchange.

Edited by dect (Wed 09-Sep-20 22:29:58)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 09-Sep-20 23:49:38
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

Copper and FTTP going to different exchanges is common.

Gedney Drove is not a head end exchange, the FTTP will head back to the larger Wisbech exchange, which is also the headend exchange for Long Sutton.

Physically it is possible the fibre does look to be heading towards Gedney but this might have been the most efficient route.

What is the actual problem?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to