General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User stickstirrer
(newbie) Wed 23-Sep-20 18:03:06
Print Post

New Broaband Provider- linked routers

[link to this post]

Hi, I am not very good at the tech stuff so sought you out. I have just changed to Sky as provider and set up their router succesfully. I have wi-fi signal from their router and internet access.. I have a switch with 3 further routers connected to give better wi-fi coverage in the house and in a stable 25m away which is a holiday let. All routers are connected to the Sky one by cat5 cable via the switch . With my original provider the routers were given the same SSID and password as the SSE provided router and I could log in wherever I went in the house. Since switching to Sky the connected routers are 'working' ie I receive a wi fi signal but cannot connect to the internet through them and therefore the Sky Router. Do I have to change something in the cat 5 conneted routers to get Internet successfully again? Change settings in the routers? If so which?
Tahnks for any help
Stickstirrer
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 23-Sep-20 18:40:51
Print Post

Re: New Broaband Provider- linked routers

[re: stickstirrer] [link to this post]

Using routers for the purpose of creating a wireless access signal is fraught with configuration problems.

What 3 routers are in use, and how are they configured?

Most likely issue is the IP subnet the Sky router is using is different to the last ISP router and you may need to update the IP configuration of all 3 routers.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 23-Sep-20 19:32:08
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Or perhaps the LAN address and range in the Sky router?

Edit: And SSID plus password. All to the ones already in the satellite routers.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
To argue with mindless bigots is foolish.

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 24-Sep-20 00:21:59)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 23-Sep-20 20:01:23
Print Post

Rather complicated setup, especially as each router is probably doing NAT for all its clients.

Check that each of the routers is set with the right gateway, the Sky router probably uses 192.168.0.1 and the old ISP probably used 192.168.1.1 at a guess.

Really needs to be replaced with a mesh system such as the BT Whole Home system which would solve the problem, and you could remove all these routers and switches.

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User BranH
(learned) Wed 23-Sep-20 20:28:47
Print Post

Again most likely change in the IP settings of the sky router vs you old router. Depends how they are all configured. I myself use a couple of old routers as access points, connected via one of their LAN ports, set to a fixed address outside DHCP range and with DHCP turned off, so the main router hands out addresses.
Standard User CrimsonOne
(newbie) Wed 07-Oct-20 23:51:59
Print Post

The simple answer is surely that initially the three routers connected to the switch should all be set up in AP (Access Point) mode - this means far far less configuration! With the routers set up that way, it'd simply be the case of changing the SSIDs and passwords on the individual routers - or possibly changing the SSID and PW of the master to mimic that of the previous provider's router!
  Print Thread

Jump to