General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | [9] | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Mon 16-Nov-20 03:22:34
Print Post

Re: My migration is stuck.

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

As you probably know uno give an assured rate of 40Mbps (where the line rate is higher) both for BTw and TTB FTTC. In terms of throughput speeds, at various times, there could of course be a difference. I'm sure you will probably get the same sync speeds and very similar throughput speeds that you get now when you go directly with TTB. In all likely-hood things wont change for the worst when OpenReach convert your line from SMPF to MPF.

Certainly several years ago when I migrated from Plusnet BTw ADSL2+ to uno TTB ADSL2+ SMPF there was an improvement in stability and I have generally been very happy with the uno service ever since smile

Edited by 4M2 (Mon 16-Nov-20 03:37:31)

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 16-Nov-20 09:07:09
Print Post

In reply to a post by Banger:
You could still sign up for me but it would just take longer. Don't see how two weeks breathing will stop slamming.
Your ISP will contact you telling you they have received a migration request. You then have the 10 days to tell them it wasn't you that raised the request and therefore terminating it before it happens. That is the whole purpose of the 10 days - it isn't a cooling down period it is to ensure the person who currently has the connection is aware that a request has been placed to move it.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 16-Nov-20 13:07:55
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
In reply to a post by Banger:
You could still sign up for me but it would just take longer. Don't see how two weeks breathing will stop slamming.
Your ISP will contact you telling you they have received a migration request. You then have the 10 days to tell them it wasn't you that raised the request and therefore terminating it before it happens. That is the whole purpose of the 10 days - it isn't a cooling down period it is to ensure the person who currently has the connection is aware that a request has been placed to move it.
What do you mean by "Your ISP"?

Both the gaining and losing ones should notify you. The gaining one to tell you the date, costs and suchlike. The losing one to tell you any leaving and final costs. AIUI the losing one can also now make a retention offer, but I'm not sure of that. Initially it was forbidden unless requested by the user.

The notice from the gaining one allows you to cancel for any reason, without penalty. So acts as both a cooling off period and an anti-slamming/false order defence.

The losing provider can (basically) only cancel the migration if the gaining one refuses the user's cancellation request. I forget the exact wording.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
Experience shows us that love does not consist in gazing at each other but in looking together in the same direction.
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 16-Nov-20 15:51:35
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I meant the losing ISP. In the case of someone else ordering a service on your line by accident you wouldn't get contact from the gaining ISP but the losing ISP would contact you and that would provide the opportunity to inform them you didn't place the order and so it would be terminated.
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 16-Nov-20 21:43:34
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Do you even know my address? tongue

Tim
talktalkbusiness.net & freenetname
Asus RT-AC68U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80/20 Meg Fibre
Speed Test

Highest Sync: 79993/19661

BQM
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 17-Nov-20 10:09:57
Print Post

Not that I am aware of. But always the possibility I might accidentally order a line at an address that I think is one I am moving to but get it wrong and it just happen to be your address.

Not that many months ago there was an example of exactly that on here but unfortunately the process failed as the losing ISP failed to send the letter to the current owner to tell them an order had been placed against their line - seem to remember it took a fair while to get it all sorted out.
Standard User broadband66
(knowledge is power) Tue 17-Nov-20 15:39:10
Print Post

Your neighbour might select the wrong address from a drop down box.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User gary333
(experienced) Tue 17-Nov-20 16:40:45
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by broadband66:
Your neighbour might select the wrong address from a drop down box.

As Openreach / BT and their ilk cannot even manage to get addresses sorted lowest to highest for the numeric order, then this is always a distinct possibility. No idea why they don't sort this issue out.
Standard User sparky_paul
(experienced) Tue 17-Nov-20 16:50:43
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Both the gaining and losing ones should notify you. The gaining one to tell you the date, costs and suchlike. The losing one to tell you any leaving and final costs. AIUI the losing one can also now make a retention offer, but I'm not sure of that. Initially it was forbidden unless requested by the user.

The notice from the gaining one allows you to cancel for any reason, without penalty. So acts as both a cooling off period and an anti-slamming/false order defence.

The losing provider can (basically) only cancel the migration if the gaining one refuses the user's cancellation request. I forget the exact wording.

Just curious... if it's a slamming case, or another customer choosing the wrong address, how does the end user receive any notification from the gaining provider, or even know who the gaining provider is?

Presumably, the gaining provider won't know your email address to contact you, and everything seems to be done over email these days - apart from a physical letter from the losing provider, and that doesn't mention who the gaining provider is.

Am I being stupid?

>>> BTFibre 2 FTTC

Edited by sparky_paul (Tue 17-Nov-20 16:51:36)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 17-Nov-20 16:54:13
Print Post

[re: sparky_paul] [link to this post]

It can happen maliciously, by someone who know the email address (and phone number) of the connection loser. AIUI the vast majority of people only have one email address.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
Experience shows us that love does not consist in gazing at each other but in looking together in the same direction.
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | [9] | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to