General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 03-Dec-20 21:59:15
Print Post

Re: IPv6

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
In reply to a post by E300:
Also https://test-ipv6.com/ Gives a bit more info I think under tests run tab.

Virgin Media = 0/10 smile
IDNet 10/10 laugh

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 03-Dec-20 22:02:07
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
I thought by now that more providers would be offering IPv6,

So did I, especially from the top 5, (Sky, BT, Plusnet, Virgin, talktalk). I think only Sky & BT have managed it. Virgin keep talking about it, but nothing has appeared, and Plusnet did a trial, but that ended and nothing happened.

Each of these providers seems to have enough IPv4 for their growth projections

And it doesn't really make a difference anyway. These providers *must* continue to provide IPv4 service whatever happens; if they gave a customer an IPv6-only service then it would be broken.

Given that it's a choice between IPv4-only, or IPv4+IPv6, then providing IPv6 doesn't help one iota in the ISP's IPv4 address depletion problems today. They still have to either buy enough IPv4 addresses, or share IPv4 addresses using some version of NAT.

That is at least until some hypothetical time far in the future when 99%+ of the Internet is reachable by IPv6, and so IPv4 can be dropped without major consequence.

Currently only about 25% of Alexa top 1000 sites are reachable via IPv6. Even the BBC isn't, and they're not short of either technical expertise or funding. There's just no driver for it.

so it will be when websites are only on IPv6 that they will lose customers to those than can provide connectivity. At the moment I don't think any popular english language websites are only on the 6 net.

That's not going to happen for a very long time, if ever.

Address depletion simply isn't a problem at the content-provider side: they have been happily sharing IP addresses, using virtual hosting and reverse proxies, for years. Most of the big content is served via CDNs like Cloudflare and Akamai, and again, they can serve unlimited numbers of sites using the same set of IPv4 addresses.

Content providers depend on customers being able to reach them to make money, either via sales or from advertising eyeballs. If they put their content on IPv6-only, it wouldn't be reachable by the majority of their customers. Again, this won't change until 99%+ of the customers have IPv6.

So it's a chicken-and-egg situation. Content providers have no need to put content on IPv6, and access providers have no need to provide IPv6 access.
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 03-Dec-20 22:02:16
Print Post

[re: E300] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by E300:
I find it hard to get my head around the numbers. My current allocation of IPv6 addresses gives me 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 individual and unique IP addresses on the internet on just one subnet, however I've been allocated 65,535 subnets so have 65,535 x 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 addresses unique to me. Repeat that for everyone and it gives an indication as to just how large the IPv6 address space is. adjustment!
I know what you mean. When I set my mail server up I wanted to give it 0000:0001 because it was the first server smile Sadly I could never get Windows static IP Address working so had to settle for a fixed address derived from the MAC.

There are still several aspects of IPv6 that I struggle with but I understand enough to have my mail server accessible over both IPv4 and IPv6.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Thu 03-Dec-20 22:03:10)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User GonePostal
(committed) Thu 03-Dec-20 22:59:06
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Andrue:
In reply to a post by dect:
Whats the quickest way for anyone to check they have it? is there a good site to ping for example?
Launch the TBB speed tester. It will tell you immediately with a yellow label at the bottom left.

And of course it says on the results themselves:

My Broadband Speed Test

Unfortunately there is a growing thread elsewhere on the Forum (https://forums.thinkbroadband.com/newsite/f/4667197-... noting that for a number of users the yellow label only appears sporadically even though the IPv6 connection is up.

I normally check using http://v6.testmyipv6.com/ which throws an error if you are not able to connect through IPv6.
Standard User adrenalize_
(regular) Thu 03-Dec-20 23:19:14
Print Post

[re: busterboy] [link to this post]

I use an AX88U on BT although with VDSL, but guess the settings will be the same.
On the AX88U there is a button towards bottom left of the interface that says IPv6

Mine works fine with Connection Type : Native
Interface: PPP

and everything else at their default.
Standard User busterboy
(committed) Fri 04-Dec-20 00:25:03
Print Post

[re: adrenalize_] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by adrenalize_:
I use an AX88U on BT although with VDSL, but guess the settings will be the same.
On the AX88U there is a button towards bottom left of the interface that says IPv6

Mine works fine with Connection Type : Native
Interface: PPP

and everything else at their default.

Oh heck.... What have I done. tongue

Thanks to adrenalize this could be working.

What happens now. grin

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 04-Dec-20 08:46:39
Print Post

Oh it's worse than that for Plusnet. They ran a trial but then decided to undertake a major network upgrade. That upgrade apparently broke the IPv6 servers so the trial was ended. But their parent company - BT - offer IPv6.

I'm with IDNet and they've been offering IPv6 for many years now.

Sounds about right.
This new fibre network that is coming here don't seem to have IPv6 either, which is very strange.

Adrian

Desktop machine Ryzen powered with windows 10 , reluctantly.

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 04-Dec-20 08:49:05
Print Post

In reply to a post by busterboy:
Oh heck.... What have I done. tongue

Thanks to adrenalize this could be working.

What happens now. grin

You just use the net as normal.

Adrian

Desktop machine Ryzen powered with windows 10 , reluctantly.

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 04-Dec-20 09:50:32
Print Post

Oh it's worse than that for Plusnet. They ran a trial but then decided to undertake a major network upgrade. That upgrade apparently broke the IPv6 servers so the trial was ended. But their parent company - BT - offer IPv6.

but as candlerb posted, it doesn't actually impact anyone, so neither Plusnet nor Virgin Media are having any customers complaining. Until they do, nothing will change.

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 04-Dec-20 12:33:18
Print Post

Who dares wins smile
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to