General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 03-Dec-20 01:39:32
Print Post

DNS Puzzle

[link to this post]

Since I left Uno something on my LAN is looking up "mail.<myname>.unospace.net" in my TTB router DNS log.

I have checked my monitoring programs and none mention the above email. The reason I noticed it since Uno have deleted my webspace the DNS lookup is failing and is coming up in the Error log.

It is not a major problem just setting off my OCD. I have checked all machines and none of them have the above address in the Mail program. How can I track it down?

Tim
talktalkbusiness.net & freenetname
TTB Router, Asus RT-AC68U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80/20 Meg Fibre
Speed Test

Highest Sync: 79993/19661

BQM
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 03-Dec-20 01:46:53
Print Post

Re: DNS Puzzle

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

Have you tried running Malwarebytes? That's good at finding left-over junk. Another is iobit, but is a bit of a nuisance itself at times. Wants to install crapware.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
Experience shows us that love does not consist in gazing at each other but in looking together in the same direction.
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 03-Dec-20 01:49:46
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Malwarebytes blue screens my machine and Iobit has too much [censored] in it now. I used to swear by Iobit. Still neither of these programs will track an errant email lookup. smile

Tim
Speed Test

BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 03-Dec-20 02:46:03
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Windows Live Mail. Looks like this is the culprit despite it not having been run in years it is still on my system. It's the only place I could find the email mentioned in the OP. I had to fix it first as it wouldn't run at first but the install program also had a problem.

Since I removed the account from WLM no more DNS fails in the TTB router. Fingers crossed.

Tim
Speed Test

BQM
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 03-Dec-20 09:12:02
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Banger:
Malwarebytes blue screens my machine and Iobit has too much [censored] in it now. I used to swear by Iobit. Still neither of these programs will track an errant email lookup. smile

I have never known Malwarebytes to be any problem to anyone, maybe you should also look at why it is doing that.,

Adrian

Desktop machine Ryzen powered with windows 10 , reluctantly.

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 15-Dec-20 20:37:44
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Finally found the cause of the DNS error. It was a program called HD Sentinel attempting to send an email to me reporting on my disk health status. Now resolved.

Tim
Speed Test

BQM
  Print Thread

Jump to