General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User kevrl
(newbie) Sat 12-Dec-20 23:34:56
Print Post

Filling gap between contracts

[link to this post]

Hi All,

I'm coming to the end of my PN contract, on the 10th Jan, and have ordered BT FTTP. Unfortunately they can't install till 29th Jan. I'm assuming that's an openreach date, so that will be the earliest for any FTTP install..

I've looked at mobile dongles, but they want upfront payments which basically means I'm paying 2 months for 19 days.
Most of the rolling contracts also require upfront payments for connections.

Looking for ideas on how to fill the gap between the contracts as I'm WFH and have 3 teens in the house.
Or do I just cancel the BT order and stay with PN for another 12 months ?

Cheers,
Kev.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 13-Dec-20 00:28:21
Print Post

Re: Filling gap between contracts

[re: kevrl] [link to this post]

AIUI you just don't do anything at the end of your Plusnet contract. Your service will continue as now, on a rolling monthly contract basis, but the price will almost certainly be higher. Seeing as it will be under three weeks, will that be a disaster?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
Experience shows us that love does not consist in gazing at each other but in looking together in the same direction.
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 13-Dec-20 09:06:58
Print Post

I may be in the same situation at the end of next year, my PN contract will come to the end, but we will be on the verge of getting fibre, I will just carry on with PN until the fibre is ready and I have made up my mind what to do. As already been said you can do that, but the price will be higher.

Adrian

Desktop machine Ryzen powered with windows 10 , reluctantly.

Plusnet FTTC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mking90031
(regular) Sun 13-Dec-20 09:55:40
Print Post

Hi,

You could use your mobile phone as a hotspot in a pinch. This is what I do when my VM M600 goes down (which, fortunately, is extremely rare). My LG K8 mobile can handle up-to 10 devices which is just about enough for my flat for a short term till my connection comes back.

HTH,

Mark King MCP
www.mark-king-basingstoke.co.uk
Virginmedia M600 794.99 Mbps Down & 36.92 Mbps Up (according to Speed test on XBox 13/12/20)
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sun 13-Dec-20 10:37:09
Print Post

As it is just a couple of weeks, stay with PN "out of contract" for that time - just give them te requisite notice that service will end on 10th Feb.

If it was to be any longer, say 3 or 4 months, you could migrate to a BT service and then upgrade to Fibre.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User neo_wales
(member) Sun 13-Dec-20 12:49:58
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

If you have good 4G tether to your phone
https://www.giffgaff.com/sim-only-plans?ggCampaign=P...

Robert
South Wales UK
Talk Talk FTTC
i9 main PC
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sun 13-Dec-20 13:24:21
Print Post

[re: neo_wales] [link to this post]

Why not reply to the OP rather than a random post in the thread?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 13-Dec-20 14:03:26
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Remember a lot of people will be reading in flat mode and thus post replies to the last post...

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 13-Dec-20 16:46:09
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Including some who should know better wink.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
Experience shows us that love does not consist in gazing at each other but in looking together in the same direction.
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.
Standard User jaba
(member) Mon 14-Dec-20 10:02:11
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Remember a lot of people will be reading in flat mode and thus post replies to the last post...

This is one of the puzzling things about the TBB forum, flip flopping in and out of flat mode. I have not seen this on other forums. What is the advantage of this? Am I missing something.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to