General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User atp
(newbie) Thu 24-Dec-20 10:14:07
Print Post

Virgin ip address

[link to this post]

Why is Virgin changing my IP address everyday and why is the ISP not detected on the speed test?
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 24-Dec-20 10:38:07
Print Post

Re: Virgin ip address

[re: atp] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by atp:
Why is Virgin changing my IP address everyday and why is the ISP not detected on the speed test?
All seems to be working here.

Which Virgin Media product do you have, and which Hub?
Do you switch off the hub ever?

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM

Edited by jchamier (Thu 24-Dec-20 10:38:41)

Standard User atp
(newbie) Thu 24-Dec-20 10:45:00
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

M100 Fibre Broadband and hub 3.
My hub is never turned off.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Thu 24-Dec-20 11:08:55
Print Post

Have you looked up your IP to see if it belongs to Virgin??
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 24-Dec-20 11:19:55
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

Must re-iterate this, as the post on the forums does not look like a Virgin Media IP address

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Thu 24-Dec-20 11:34:10
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Potential VPN maybe
Standard User atp
(newbie) Thu 24-Dec-20 11:39:00
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

my ip address belongs to LeaseWeb UK Limited and they have bad reports on my ip address, should I be worried?
Standard User ft247
(newbie) Thu 24-Dec-20 13:40:24
Print Post

This may be unrelated, but I have had some serious issues with my Virgin domestic 350/35 service related to IP assignment over recent months.

The Virgin Hub 3 is used in modem mode with a router behind it requesting an IP by DHCP. All was well for months - it even kept the same IP when the previous owner of the property's hub/account was removed/closed and mine connected/started the next day.

At the start of October my router suddenly couldn't get an IP. The normal procedure is that the VM Hub serves a local IP in the 192.168.100.x range until the modem is registered on the cable network, then a DHCP NAK is sent from a server somewhere (not the CPE) followed by assignment of a globally routable IP.

Setting the Virgin box to router mode it wouldn't even receive an IP - on their CPE the status page the error was No Internet (Access Denied). VM swore blind there was nothing wrong with the account or their equipment and refused to raise a fault ticket as I wasn't at home to connect by wifi... head meet wall scenario. The problem resolved itself the next day with no action on my part.

About a month later a similar issue came up - this time I changed the router MAC address and was immediately served a new IP, and curiously my latency improved by 2-3ms a day later. The CMTS MAC remained the same, but something else clearly changed in VM's network.

Now if only they'd do something about the peak time congestion - the SamKnows box averages only 120Mbit at 10pm. But it will be a useful lever for getting out of contract when the OR FTTP build completes.
Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Thu 24-Dec-20 14:50:37
Print Post

In reply to a post by atp:
my ip address belongs to LeaseWeb UK Limited and they have bad reports on my ip address, should I be worried?

Is this occurring on just one device or all devices connected to home network?

If just one device them check that your browser isn't running a VPN or filter of some kind.

Try another browser?
  Print Thread

Jump to