General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 26-Dec-20 23:40:29
Print Post

Anyone got a VOIP adapter

[link to this post]

With the prospect of PSTN being turned off in 2025 has anyone got a VOIP adapter so they can use existing phone systems with VOIP. I have phones all over the house, a total of 6. 4 Dect and 2 on extensions. Wondering how this would work out when they turn off PSTN?

Tim
talktalkbusiness.net & freenetname
TTB Router, Asus RT-AC68U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80/20 Meg Fibre
Speed Test

Highest Sync: 79993/19661

BQM
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sun 27-Dec-20 01:21:00
Print Post

Re: Anyone got a VOIP adapter

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

Why not move to full DECT now?

Get something like a Gigaset N300A IP. Feed your PSTN into it and set up several VOIP numbers. Then programme teh handsets to it and off you go. Rip out all the old wiring to tidy up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 27-Dec-20 01:33:28
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Cost would be against the Gigaset. I already have very good Panasonic handsets with replaceable rechargeable batteries. Adapter cost about £40, Gigaset DECT station with 6 handsets £183. Plus most extensions wiring is under floorboards which would be a major operation. Thanks for the reply MHC.

Tim
Speed Test

BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 27-Dec-20 06:42:37
Print Post

Just curious ....
I have phones all over the house, a total of 6. 4 Dect and 2 on extensions.
... how many get used ever/at all ?

The only person who ever calls the landline, is the mother in law, and even she is being weaned onto mobile calls. I hear people say this SO often (who’d have thought she rings them all 😄)

You have a multiple handset cordless .... you’ll have 4 years or so to decide how/if you want to feed this. Don’t worry so much.

Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 27-Dec-20 08:04:45
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Good point, I hadn't thought of rationalising the phone count and I could use 2 of the dects in place of the extensions.

I cant do much as I have signed up for the TTB complete package for 2 years anyway so am in contract with both BB and phone.

I use the landline quite a lot and any relatives call me on the landline too although my regular caller my cousin is now getting the hang of mobiles. Ofcom is talking about a number for life and that is how I view my number, its kind of personal identity.

Main reason for the post was thinking ahead and to see if anyone else has already took the plunge into VOIP. Just a discussion post really Zarjaz.

Tim
Speed Test

BQM
Standard User BranH
(learned) Sun 27-Dec-20 08:56:00
Print Post

Currently using a Grandstream HT801, once I got it running, I don't really think about it. Had a couple of issues setting it up as it came pre-provisioned, even though it was meant to be vanilla. Its using a Three unlimited data sim in a B535-232, and works fine. When I gave up on the slow ADSL, I dropped the landline as well and ported the number to SIPGATE basic.
It just works and phone quality fine.
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 27-Dec-20 09:03:09
Print Post

[re: BranH] [link to this post]

How did you connect your old phones to the adapter? I see they have RJ11 socket, did you just use a BT to RJ11 connector?

Tim
Speed Test

BQM
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 27-Dec-20 09:43:33
Print Post

I thought that DECT handset were compatible with nearly all DECT base stations, if your Panasonic base station doesn't have the ability to connect up VOIP lines then why not switch to a Gigaset base station and keep your existing handsets.
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 27-Dec-20 09:47:50
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

I would love that to be true but looking at the blurb for the Gigaset there is a list of compatible handsets and they are all Gigaset. My Pansonic was built in the days of PSTN was the only option with a BT plug.

Tim
Speed Test

BQM
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 27-Dec-20 09:54:40
Print Post

In reply to a post by Banger:
I would love that to be true but looking at the blurb for the Gigaset there is a list of compatible handsets and they are all Gigaset. My Pansonic was built in the days of PSTN was the only option with a BT plug.
frown Thats a really shame. Is it worth posting the handset version in case someone knows something different.
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 27-Dec-20 09:58:17
Print Post

Yes it's the Panasonic KT-TG1314. AFAIK all panasonic handsets can used with all panasonic base stations but I think that is where compatability ends.

Tim
Speed Test

BQM
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 27-Dec-20 10:06:13
Print Post

Yes it's the Panasonic KT-TG1314. AFAIK all panasonic handsets can used with all panasonic base stations but I think that is where compatability ends.
This article talks about compatibility of Gigaset DECT phones in general

https://www.ligo.co.uk/blog/can-use-gigaset-handset-...
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 27-Dec-20 10:15:30
Print Post

That is interesting, I dont know if the Panasonic Handsets are GAP DECT or not, just says DECT on the box. Phone book would not be a problem as that is stored on the handset of each phone although CLI may or may not work.

Tim
Speed Test

BQM
Standard User mikejp
(committed) Sun 27-Dec-20 10:23:23
Print Post

I have, for a long time, been running a somewhat old BT cordless system from a Giga A580 IP to which the BT stuff happily connects wirelessly..

Still around on Flea-bay
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 27-Dec-20 10:36:20
Print Post

Sounds like you've had your moneys worth out of the Panasonic so if it was me I would buy a preowned Gigaset base from Ebay and give it a go and if it doesn't work with you existing handsets as you had hoped you could always sell it on or look out for a couple of cheap Gigaset handsets.

Edited by dect (Sun 27-Dec-20 10:37:06)

Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 27-Dec-20 10:36:36
Print Post

[re: mikejp] [link to this post]

Thanks for that Mike, so I could get the Gigaset and test when the need arises I think. Things may have changed considerably by 2025.

Tim
Speed Test

BQM
Standard User mikejp
(committed) Sun 27-Dec-20 10:52:18
Print Post

I think that is a good option to keep 'up your sleeve'. I should mention, of course, that the cordless base station answering machine would not work on the VOIP system, but my telephones (BT 'Diverse') offer a two wireless 'base station' option so I have my landline still plugged to the BT base (with answerphone) and the cordless phones also picking up VOIP. An 'odd' solution but very flexible.

As far as I can see the KT-TG131 series does not have an option for multiple base stations so it would be 'all or nothing' on VOIP.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sun 27-Dec-20 11:19:59
Print Post

That is was my understanding. I have a full Gigaset set up with three different VoIP providers ( there was a fourth too) plus PSTN. All new(ish ) handsets work fine and even older BT branded (various manufacturers) work with with it. PSTN is moving to BTs Cloud Voice (contractual reasons) and they supply a pre-provisioned Yealink. With info from here and elsewhere, I will not get the SIP details for BT to programme into the Gigaset - a real pain, and the Yealink does not support Gigaset handsets.

Seems as though some manufacturers build in incompatibility.

M H C

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sun 27-Dec-20 11:28:59
Print Post

BTs DIverse range were/are Siemens Gigaset ... I have four or five bases, psus and handsets, most of which work that are about to go to the local recycling depot. They work with the current N300A IP but are surplus.

M H C

Standard User mikejp
(committed) Sun 27-Dec-20 11:51:36
Print Post

BTs DIverse range were/are Siemens Gigaset
That's interesting and fortunate!!

The N300A IP would work for banger too I think.
Standard User tdw42
(member) Sun 27-Dec-20 12:12:29
Print Post

Depending on you broadband provider you may not need one as a replacement router may include an ATA such as the latest BT Residential and Sky offerings.

VOIP ATAs are becoming less common - the Cisco, previously Linksys, previously Sipura, models https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/unified-commu... are now all classed as End-of-Sale and after mid-2025 will have no support or firmware upgrades.

Grandstream still manufacture and support their products http://www.grandstream.com/products/gateways-and-ata... and there is also Obihai (part of Polycom) https://www.obitalk.com/info/products#home_section which I believe are much used in the USA as they support Google Voice as well as SIP services.

Standalone ATAs are typically generic with country-specific line characteristics configured via software, and have RJ11s for the phone connection so require an adapter to country-specific phone sockets.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 27-Dec-20 12:32:49
Print Post

Main reason for the post was thinking ahead and to see if anyone else has already took the plunge into VOIP. Just a discussion post really Zarjaz.

Yes, 12 months now, and in that time I've received only 4 calls over the legacy PSTN number, and made zero.

I moved from the Openreach network to Virgin Media, and decided not to take up their phone line option, and have a data only service. (VM's phone lines are VoIP from their Hub). I bought a Cisco ATA (analogue telephone adapter), and ported my old Openreach based number to A&A (aaisp) VoIP. This is not in A&A's recommended configuration as they want you to not use NAT, and assign a public IP to the ATA. I don't have an option with VM, as they only supply one dynamic IP, but everything works, its just A&A say their support for problems will be limited.

I read the last post with interest that the Cisco adaptors are entering End of Life, which is a shame.

I find it interesting, as Openreach moves to a full fibre deployment with the ONT, the "demarcation point" becomes an Ethernet connection. But for a bundled phone line to work, the consumer will have to use the supplied ISP router, which they may have preferred to swap for something else.

Contrast with Virgin Media whom have the modem mode in their Hub, which keeps any phone services working, but passes the public IP to a consumer chosen device.

Given the digital landline will have none of the benefits of an exchange powered line, I can't see a reason to keep one post 2025.

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sun 27-Dec-20 12:38:28
Print Post

I also have a BT Equinox - not sure of te underlying brand. From memory, that worked with Gigaset too.

A Gigaset N300 can be picked up new for £35-£40 or used for a lot less.

Buy from a reputable source, try it, if it fails return it ...

M H C

Standard User mikejp
(committed) Sun 27-Dec-20 13:42:51
Print Post

MHC - I am looking at replacing my 'Diverse' with the BT 'Premium' - do you know if they also are either 'branded' Gigaset or compatible?
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sun 27-Dec-20 14:16:54
Print Post

Unfortunately not, although I believe moved away from SImemens/Gigaset a few years back.

M H C

Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 27-Dec-20 16:52:28
Print Post

Whilst I found that basic functions such as making a call from a Panasonic phone connected to a Gigaset N300 base station did work, advantage functions such as transferring directory updates did not work.

Michael Chare
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 27-Dec-20 19:41:41
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

Thanks all given me a good insight and some ideas into it.

Tim
Speed Test

BQM
Standard User jaba
(member) Sun 27-Dec-20 22:35:59
Print Post

As I see it the changeover could be seamless.
Just remove the BT internal phone cable from the master socket and plug it into your VOIP equipped router or ATA using a RJ11 to BT cable adapter and all phones will all just work as before whether DECT or PSTN. Either with a new phone number or the current one ported to VOIP.
Standard User Ancient_Mariner
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 27-Dec-20 23:14:38
Print Post

[re: tdw42] [link to this post]

Interesting and worrying too for me.

I use a Cisco SPA112 for a second line, mainly for receiving calls with outgoing via BT, sometimes with a 141 prefix if I do not wish my BT number to 'escape'.

Eventually was planning on porting my PSTN BT number to a VoIP provider and using the same ATA.

Since it appears that ATAs are disappearing, a better(?) option would seem to be to use a phone with built in VoIP. However, since we are used to being able to pick up any phone for an incoming call (the SPA112 seems quite happy ringing three phones), is there a way where with one VoIP "number" you can have multiple handsets? These being plugged in handsets, as we are not that keen on cordless phones.

Many thanks.

Cheers!

Clive

Andrews & Arnold Home::1 FTTC DrayTek Vigor 2762ac Cisco SPA112 and HUAWEI E5776 with O2 Data SIM
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 28-Dec-20 06:38:28
Print Post

I have a LINKSYS PAP2, I have had it for years, and it works fine, I use sipgate and have done again for years, been no problem here. Got to be over 8 years.

I was going to connect the phones to my router as that have Voip built in, but where things are at the moment makes it a pain.

Adrian

Desktop machine Ryzen powered with windows 10 , reluctantly.

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 28-Dec-20 10:16:42
Print Post

[re: Ancient_Mariner] [link to this post]

Hi Clive

With multiple incoming lines (PSTN and VOIP) and multiple handsets (which I can only assume are spread around your house) it does sound like a DECT system would be most suited for you sadly, if you want to convert your existing setup of multiple plugged in handsets to VOIP using a single ATA then its going to need a fair bit of rewiring after the NTE I believe for those handsets to continue to work.

Edited by dect (Mon 28-Dec-20 10:17:34)

Standard User Ancient_Mariner
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 28-Dec-20 11:17:41
Print Post

The wiring is already there for both the BT line and the VoIP line from the SPA112 to the rooms where I wanted one or the other, or indeed both. (I currently use a Delta 700 2-line phone on my desk for both BT & VoIP)

My real question is whether there is a way, with digital VoIP phones, ie with the ATA built in, to operate in the same way as two standard analogue phones connected to the same BT line? Say one upstairs and one downstairs.

Cheers!

Clive

Andrews & Arnold Home::1 FTTC DrayTek Vigor 2762ac Cisco SPA112 and HUAWEI E5776 with O2 Data SIM
Standard User Woolwich
(committed) Mon 28-Dec-20 11:45:18
Print Post

I have a Fritz!Box router with built-in DECT and VoIP. You can register your existing DECT phones and the router acts as the base station. Your POTS landline and any VoIP numbers will ring on your existing handsets.

I have a landline number (which I don't know) and Sipgate VoIP numbers and it all works well. The Fritz has an answering machine set up to take the landline calls without ringing and tells people to go away while the VoIP callers get advice to call my mobile!
Standard User tdw42
(member) Mon 28-Dec-20 14:19:04
Print Post

[re: Ancient_Mariner] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ancient_Mariner:
Since it appears that ATAs are disappearing, a better(?) option would seem to be to use a phone with built in VoIP. However, since we are used to being able to pick up any phone for an incoming call (the SPA112 seems quite happy ringing three phones), is there a way where with one VoIP "number" you can have multiple handsets? These being plugged in handsets, as we are not that keen on cordless phones.

Cisco seem to be killing off their ATAs, but other manufacturers are still producing them.

If the SIP provider allows multiple devices to be registered to the same service then the SIP server will signal all of them for incoming calls, however you usually can't transfer calls between the devices.
Standard User nrb501
(regular) Mon 28-Dec-20 21:39:31
Print Post

Cisco are still producing VoIP ATAs, the SPA112 has recently been replaced by the ATA191. It is available in two versions, one for use within Cisco VoIP systems and a "Multiplatform" version that can be used with pretty much any VoIP server. I'm currently using one for two lines on the A&A VoIP service.
Standard User tdw42
(member) Mon 28-Dec-20 22:50:28
Print Post

[re: nrb501] [link to this post]

Thanks. I note that both versions require a Cisco support contract in order to get firmware updates.
Standard User jaba
(member) Tue 29-Dec-20 12:37:01
Print Post

In reply to a post by tdw42:
Thanks. I note that both versions require a Cisco support contract in order to get firmware updates.

I don't think so. I downloaded and updated my SPA122 firmware last week without contract to 1.4.1 SR5. after reading about the potential security issues with these ATAs. I also changed my passwords for the admin and cisco accounts on the ATA as this always seems a prudent thing to do.

If Cisco do drop ATAs from their product line there are plenty of other manufacturers still in this growing market.
Standard User tdw42
(member) Tue 29-Dec-20 15:49:14
Print Post

[re: jaba] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jaba:
In reply to a post by tdw42:

I don't think so. I downloaded and updated my SPA122 firmware last week without contract to 1.4.1 SR5. after reading about the potential security issues with these ATAs. I also changed my passwords for the admin and cisco accounts on the ATA as this always seems a prudent thing to do.

The old SPA products have freely accessible firmware, possible as they were originally Linksys products. The equivalent ATA19x do not - it may be a case of just having to register on the Cisco website, but previous experience with Cisco wireless APs was that you need an active support contract.
Standard User jaba
(member) Tue 29-Dec-20 16:18:18
Print Post

Ah I see. Time to move on when the time comes to more user friendly makers, Grandstream perhaps.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to