General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User iefbr14
(regular) Sun 03-Jan-21 14:12:14
Print Post

Re: Wifi interference

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by j0hn83:
It's not a line parameter. It is a router setting (hidden).

How on Earth can a WiFi channel be changed by a line parameter?

My understanding again ........

The "line parameter" does not set the wifi channel (you are correct in that statement).

The line parameter switches the auto channel selection feature on or off, if "on" the router then decides the router's channel automatically (no matter what the router wifi channel selection is). If "off" the user can then decide his/her router channel "as normal".

If enabled the router decide on the best wifi channel (for better or worse), regardless of the router's manual channel selection.

The "line parameter" is controlled by TalkTalk. It is a feature enabler, not strictly the feature itself.

EDIT - FWIW - I have just found this quote in a thread from a TT OCE regarding disabling this feature.

"However our Products Team have advised if you are experiencing issues and would prefer to select your own wireless channels then we can arrange for Wi-Fi optimisation technology to be switched off on your line."

Note - On your line !!

Edited by iefbr14 (Sun 03-Jan-21 14:25:59)

Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 03-Jan-21 14:31:16
Print Post

[re: iefbr14] [link to this post]

It's not a line profile setting.

There is NO WAY that a setting can be sent over a line or applied to a line that can change a WiFi channel.

Probably not technically even possible.

Talktalk use TR-069 to disable WiFi optimisation on the Hub.

If it was a line setting it wouldn't need reapplied if the Hub is replaced.

It DOES need changed every time a new Sagemcom Hub is installed.

There's a couple threads on the Talktalk forums where users have asked for it to be turned off again after a Hub replacement.

Talktalk might have a fancy tool where they click a button for a line, that sends a TR-069 request.
It certainly doesn't work across devices.

It's TR-069.

Edited by j0hn83 (Sun 03-Jan-21 14:34:06)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 03-Jan-21 14:49:14
Print Post

In reply to a post by iefbr14:
Note - On your line !!
Using the terminology TalkTalk staff use will be necessary when talking to them, or posting on their forum, but it isn't technically correct, given it it the "hub" (router) that is being configured.

(ie - if you replaced the Sagemcom with a third party VDSL router, then this problem would go away)

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User iefbr14
(regular) Sun 03-Jan-21 15:28:23
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Well to fully qualify the answers on this thread I suspect that you would have to have an in-depth understanding of the Assia technology that TT implemented on the sagemcomm unit (the only TT modem fitted with this technology).

As I don't, but do have a reasonably amount of faith in the TT OCE's knowledge of their own products and what they are talking about, I will stop recirculating this thread.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 03-Jan-21 15:49:24
Print Post

Well to fully qualify the answers on this thread I suspect that you would have to have an in-depth understanding of the Assia technology that TT implemented on the sagemcomm unit (the only TT modem fitted with this technology).

To clarify, whatever this "assia" technology is, it will be on the Sagemcomm unit only, and cannot be on the "line" as that is owned by Openreach, either ADSL (with a TalkTalk DSLAM) or VDSL (with an Openreach DSLAM). The Openreach line is fully defined in SIN documents. The terminology the TalkTalk staff are using is horrendous, but as consumers we cannot change this.

ASSIA appears to be a software outfit, and it appears is part of a package of measures to reduce call centre overhead. Not unsurprising that TalkTalk would want to do this to keep their costs low:
https://www.assia-inc.com/products/licensing/

Edited by jchamier (Sun 03-Jan-21 15:51:17)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 03-Jan-21 15:58:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by jchamier:
ASSIA appears to be a software outfit, and it appears is part of a package of measures to reduce call centre overhead. Not unsurprising that TalkTalk would want to do this to keep their costs low:
With the law of unintended consequences kicking in and increasing the call centre load from people wanting it fixing. Subsequenty also having to get onto the forum reps.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
Experience shows us that love does not consist in gazing at each other but in looking together in the same direction.
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 03-Jan-21 19:50:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by jchamier:
https://www.assia-inc.com/products/licensing/

They make DLM's for network providers. They run a couple of the LLU DLM's.

They sued BT/OpenReach for the FTTC DLM copying their "technology".

They've now jumped on the WiFi management bandwagon.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 03-Jan-21 21:17:15
Print Post

In reply to a post by j0hn83:
They make DLM's for network providers. They run a couple of the LLU DLM's.
They sued BT/OpenReach for the FTTC DLM copying their "technology".
They've now jumped on the WiFi management bandwagon.

Its poor there is no end-user interface.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 04-Jan-21 11:44:41
Print Post

Thank you for pointing this out, was reading about to shout about TR-069

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 05-Jan-21 15:49:11
Print Post

Well I emailed the CEO who passed on my request to the complaints department who could see the community requests on the website to turn off wifi optimization.

But later came back with after investigation said it was not possible on TTB or TT to turn this feature off according to product support department.

So I will use my Asus as an access point and turn off wifi on the TT router.

Tim
talktalkbusiness.net & freenetname
TTB Router, Asus RT-AC68U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80/20 Meg Fibre
Speed Test

Highest Sync: 79993/19661

BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to