General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User zyborg47
(legend) Mon 04-Jan-21 22:56:14
Print Post

Price rises

[link to this post]

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-55529291

£51 a month for the lowest priced service on Virgin by the looks of it, just broadband and phone, I would not pay that.

I pay £23 a month with plusnet, if they put the prices up I will look elsewhere when my contract ends.

Adrian

Desktop machine Ryzen powered with windows 10 , reluctantly.

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User gary333
(experienced) Mon 04-Jan-21 23:25:47
Print Post

Re: Price rises

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-55529291

£51 a month for the lowest priced service on Virgin by the looks of it, just broadband and phone, I would not pay that.

I pay £23 a month with plusnet, if they put the prices up I will look elsewhere when my contract ends.

You are quoting misleading prices. Out of contract prices for Virgin Media but in contract prices for Plusnet. The basic 36mb plus net shows as £36.52 for my property after 18 months. Plusnet are also sneaky as they do not make this price clear on their website, at least Virgin Media call it out front and centre.

I pay Virgin Media £34 (in contract) for the 350mb package. That’s 10 times quicker than the Plusnet service. This will be £63 after 18 months, although I don’t know why anyone would pay this amount as you just call and place disconnection notice and await the retention call.

Edited by gary333 (Mon 04-Jan-21 23:29:26)

Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Tue 05-Jan-21 06:00:31
Print Post

[re: gary333] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gary333:
I pay Virgin Media £34 (in contract) for the 350mb package. That’s 10 times quicker than the Plusnet service.

For balance, not everyone has access to VM, and are forced to take FTTC / ADSL services.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 05-Jan-21 06:20:27
Print Post

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
I have VM broadband without phone, saves around £17/month. My parents can't get VM so are with plusnet, and used to get 65mbps download which has decreased to 50 mbps since Jan 2020. Assumption is neighbours all upgrading from ADSL to VDSL/FTTC and increased crosstalk.

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User Stanman_24
(knowledge is power) Tue 05-Jan-21 08:04:15
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

I am leaving virgin after wanting to get sky again.

asked to stay on for broadband, they offered

£62 for either 500mb or 1gb

£51 for 200mb

£45 for 200

£37 for 100

you can imagine i told them where to go

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 05-Jan-21 09:25:45
Print Post

[re: Stanman_24] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Stanman_24:

£45 for 200 Mbps is pretty good. New customers are over £50. Given Sky is likely to (at best) manage 78 Mbps, and for many people slower than 40 Mbps.

It depends what you use the broadband for of course. For me the upload speed is more useful, the 20 Mbps upload from VM's 200 service is for my purposes much better than the 4 Mbps or so I would get with Sky/Plusnet/BT etc.

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User gary333
(experienced) Tue 05-Jan-21 09:30:23
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by camieabz:
I pay Virgin Media £34 (in contract) for the 350mb package. That’s 10 times quicker than the Plusnet service.

For balance, not everyone has access to VM, and are forced to take FTTC / ADSL services.

The original poster was criticising Virgin media for being too expensive. Obviously not everyone can get VM - we all know this. The point being, you pay more, but get more with VM, that’s how the market works in most cases. My price comparison was calling out that £51 isn’t the “lowest” price, and when comparing against the £23 they are paying Plusnet makes VM a much better deal.
Standard User gary333
(experienced) Tue 05-Jan-21 09:32:06
Print Post

[re: Stanman_24] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Stanman_24:
I am leaving virgin after wanting to get sky again.

asked to stay on for broadband, they offered

£62 for either 500mb or 1gb

£51 for 200mb

£45 for 200

£37 for 100

Put your notice in and await the call from the people who will discount. Worked many times for me.

Edited by gary333 (Tue 05-Jan-21 09:32:48)

Standard User zyborg47
(legend) Tue 05-Jan-21 12:11:01
Print Post

[re: gary333] [link to this post]

You are quoting misleading prices. Out of contract prices for Virgin Media but in contract prices for Plusnet. The basic 36mb plus net shows as £36.52 for my property after 18 months. Plusnet are also sneaky as they do not make this price clear on their website, at least Virgin Media call it out front and centre.

I pay Virgin Media £34 (in contract) for the 350mb package. That’s 10 times quicker than the Plusnet service. This will be £63 after 18 months, although I don’t know why anyone would pay this amount as you just call and place disconnection notice and await the retention call.

It is the price I pay at the moment I put for plusnet, I know the out of contract price will be higher. I was not comparing the price to Virgin media, what I was trying to get around is that prices are rising for both.
As I said I am paying £23 a month for my broadband and I feel like that is about it for me,

the problem with networks like Virgin and it will be the same when we eventually get some sort of pure fibre service here, they are hoping that people will find it more hassle to change to another network, so people will pay the amount.

£63 a month is a fair wack, just for broadband, no matter how fast it is, I do wonder how many people do pay the full price. I still have until the end of the year before my contract runs out, lots of things can happen between now and then, lets see if Zzoomm do what they say they will do and start building a fibre network, the problem is I am not sure if I want to pay the extra for speed I do not need. The download speed is faster, but to get faster upload it is another £10 a month. so to get 100Mb/s down and up costs £39 a month.

Adrian

Desktop machine Ryzen powered with windows 10 , reluctantly.

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User JohnR
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 05-Jan-21 12:55:44
Print Post

Pack in all the essential entertainment with over 100
channels, our ultrafast M100 Fibre Broadband,
and inclusive weekend calls.
£29.99 a month
for 18 months

then £62 a month
£35 setup fee applies*
(18 month contract applies

Only a fool pays full price.

Once contract up switch to Sky., via cash back sites. So save even more.

Family is for LIFE, not just Christmas
Standard User ft247
(newbie) Tue 05-Jan-21 13:30:48
Print Post

[re: JohnR] [link to this post]

In fairness to VM their network is oversubscribed in my area and has been for over six months. Someone has probably worked out it is more profitable to raise prices and accept a small reduction in subscriber base than segmenting the network sufficiently to make the speeds they are selling a reality.

For reference, my 350/35 service is perfectly good between 2am and 2pm, correct signal levels, no errors - but the low point is around 8-9pm when I see download speed as low as 37Mbit, with a median around 120Mbit.

One of these days I need to take a typical daily domestic usage curve and extrapolate how much demand is on their network in my area given the shared bandwidth of 32 DOCSIS frequencies at 40? Mbit each. What I haven't been able to find are statistics showing a typical domestic Internet demand distribution - i.e. of 1000 subscribers having access to a 100Mbit connection, how many are effectively idle at peak time, how many are just consuming 10Mbit or so for streaming TV, and how many are saturating the link.
Standard User Woolwich
(committed) Tue 05-Jan-21 15:29:08
Print Post

Zen aren't increasing their prices, they don't and promise not to.
LIFETIME PRICE GUARANTEE - You’ll keep the same monthly price on your monthly bundle when your contract ends

Of course they are a couple of quid more. But by the time you've moved ISP two or three times with all the hassle that involves they'll be just as cheap. Not that you want cheap.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to