General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Ladybird27
(newbie) Sun 17-Jan-21 18:25:16
Print Post

Broadband speeds - moving house

[link to this post]

Hi,

We are looking to move house, from an urban area to a house that is in a semi-rural area. As we are doing research we are trying to work out what the broadband speeds are going to be like there. Information from the major providers seems to suggest we’d get 20-36mbps download with a minimum of 17mbps and 5-7mbps upload speeds. What we don’t know is if this is going to be enough. Currently we get 70-90mbps download and 9-10mbps upload speeds.
Usage wise both my husband and I work from home, requiring video calling. We also often have music/TV streaming on multiple devices at the same time as the video calls. Would we have issues at the predicted speeds? If we can’t get decent broadband it will be a deal breaker on an otherwise amazing property so need to make sure we are making the right decision,

Thanks
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 17-Jan-21 19:51:59
Print Post

Re: Broadband speeds - moving house

[re: Ladybird27] [link to this post]

Post the results of an online availability checker please.

Like https://www.bt.com/broadband/availability/ for instance.

Standard User Ladybird27
(newbie) Sun 17-Jan-21 21:39:19
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Here it is
https://www.bt.com/broadband/availability/?s_cid=con...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 18-Jan-21 00:55:39
Print Post

smile
Unfortunately your posted link just leads to the general page, not your results.

That's basically a problem with their output not being linkable.

This forum also has a problem on dealing with the output even if BT got it right. frown.

For this forum the best solution is for you to take a screenshot of the output from the enquiry, then upload it to a site which may be in your webspace, (not advisable unless you really understand the risks), or the likes of one listed here. The most popular seems to be imgur. Then give us the link to your upload.

All the best to you.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
Experience shows us that love does not consist in gazing at each other but in looking together in the same direction. Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.
Standard User Ladybird27
(newbie) Mon 18-Jan-21 08:09:45
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I can’t seem the photo sharing site to work on my phone, but here’s the information from the BT broadband availability checker for the address:

Fibre 1 package is best available
Download speed range 20-36mb
Stay fast guarantee 17mb
Upload speed range 5-7mb

What I am trying to find out is whether this would be enough speed to meet our requirements as described in OP or whether we will have issues with slow broadband.
Standard User Rolandrat
(experienced) Mon 18-Jan-21 09:15:09
Print Post

10 years ago i'd probably say I dont care, but today it would be like saying there's no mains gas or water.
If you dont have children you might cope for now.
But for me, unless there was something better 100% guaranteed coming along for the area i'd skip it, i know what its like to have no speed, what might be ok now will slowly get worse and worse.
Standard User GonePostal
(committed) Mon 18-Jan-21 09:47:22
Print Post

In reply to a post by Ladybird27:
I can’t seem the photo sharing site to work on my phone, but here’s the information from the BT broadband availability checker for the address:

Fibre 1 package is best available
Download speed range 20-36mb
Stay fast guarantee 17mb
Upload speed range 5-7mb

What I am trying to find out is whether this would be enough speed to meet our requirements as described in OP or whether we will have issues with slow broadband.

If you do have your heart set on the property and decide that the existing bandwidth will not be enough, there are some more expensive options potentially available to give better speeds. The availability checker should tell you whether FTTPoD is available. You would have to bear the costs of this installation to bring the optic fibre right to your house. These are likely to be several thousand pounds but would future-proof you for a number of years. You may even be able to get one or two neighbours who would be fed from the same cable to join in and then you can share the installation costs. Be aware that the FTTPoD installation process could possibly take you as far as next summer (2022) to complete.

You could also install a second FTTC Fibre 1 line and have the two lines bonded to combine the two throughputs. That would be probably be considerably cheaper than FTTPoD and could take you to somewhere close to your existing arrangements.
Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Mon 18-Jan-21 10:21:58
Print Post

You can do quite a lot with 20Mbits but if work requires downloading large files it may be a limiting factor. The upload could be an issue particularly for video calls and especially if it coincides with high utilisation and streaming.
This could be alleviated by having 2 lines and using one solely for work. Broadband is getting so cheap now it makes little difference considering the overall cost of moving.
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 18-Jan-21 10:43:59
Print Post

Have you asked the current owners what speeds they actually get on their broadband? it may be better or worse than you think.

Its clear that 20-36 is less the 70-80 so everything may not be possible at the same time, I would suggest you think if you actually need to stream music/tv at the same time as you and your husband work from home. Would you consider getting a 4G routers (if a good signal is available in the area) and assign less important devices to it.
Standard User jabuzzard
(experienced) Mon 18-Jan-21 11:45:10
Print Post

[re: GonePostal] [link to this post]

You try factoring it into your offer for the property. You could get a desktop survey for FTTPoD and then knock that off the asking price and make it clear to the sellers why you are making the offer you are.

There is some risk in that the full survey cost for the FTTPoD could be more (it could also be less), and it would likely be next year before it went live so you would probably need some sort of interim solution either 4G or second line.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to