General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 23-Jan-21 15:55:03
Print Post

Upload kills connection?

[link to this post]

I'm aware that TCP/IP requires some upload bandwidth when downloading for ACKs but I was a bit surprised just now to discover that kicking off an upload to Google drive killed my connection. Netflix jammed and I couldn't even browse the web.

Is that normal or (I suspect) an issue with my router? For what it's worth I have a 74/18 FTTC connection.

My Broadband Ping

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Sat 23-Jan-21 15:55:42)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 23-Jan-21 17:21:58
Print Post

Re: Upload kills connection?

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Andrue:
Is that normal or (I suspect) an issue with my router?
It is normal if you saturate your upload. I don't use Google Drive, but the OneDrive and DropBox applets for Win10 let you set a maximum upload speed.

Some routers can use QoS to control bandwidth usage, trying to reserve enough to keep downloads working. I think the Asus range has this feature, but I've never used it.

TCP/IP was never designed for asymetric connections, my VirginMedia cable is 200 / 20, so even worse ratio than yours!

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 23-Jan-21 18:46:38
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Agreed, swamp the upload, and the download suffers.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Pheasant
(committed) Sat 23-Jan-21 18:51:27
Print Post

I’d try another router and test again.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User thomaswarne01
(member) Sat 23-Jan-21 19:53:57
Print Post

Alright, I have FTTP BT 76/20 Fibre 2 at home with an Asus router with qos enabled to avoid the upload and download saturation, I have the download qos setting as 68Mbps and upload 18Mbps and works a treat, Nothing buffers now compared to a standard router that gets saturated
Applying it to downstream also works wonders also as it shares the bandwidth equally with traditional qos (enabled) vs bandwidth limiter (disabled) would not recommend this setting,
So client A downloading file at 68Mbps then client B starts a file download and it evenly splits it to 34Mbps each (Have monitored this and it works) so you in your case as its FTTC which sync can vary Id try/recommend experimenting for the qos and based on your sync putting download qos as 90% of your sync so (Try)
74Mbps/100% x 90% = 66.6Mbps (66Mbps if rounding down) download and same for the upload 18Mbps/100% x90% =16.2Mbps (16Mbps if rounding down) this allows for safe buffer bloat and variable sync of FTTC and from my experiences and observations with other setups other than mine it works a treat
Summary with the QOS try 66Mbs down and 16Mbps upload and although you have lost a tiny amount of bandwidth it will not be noticeable once it is all running smoothly and stops lagging/buffer bloat for you.

Let me know thoughts on this method and if anyone else has found this works as it sure does for me.
TBB Speedtest Result

Edited by thomaswarne01 (Sat 23-Jan-21 19:59:37)

Standard User gromit69
(committed) Mon 26-Apr-21 09:05:19
Print Post

Apologies for digging up an old(ish) thread, but I've been seeing something very similar. I can't see your BQM graph, though I can see you're on IDnet.
My issue is with Dropbox - if I let it upload something, everything else stops. All web browsing, streaming, etc.
I've recently moved from Plusnet to IDnet and haven't changed anything other the username in my router. I've never seen this issue before after 4 years with a Plusnet FTTC connection.
I understand than ACKs need prioritisation, but this seems to be much more severe than that!
Standard User E300
(member) Mon 26-Apr-21 09:32:10
Print Post

[re: gromit69] [link to this post]

PlusNet I think applies traffic prioritisation, as they run their network quite full they manage it quite closely. So likely ACKs are being prioritised and Dropbox is being slowed down with PlusNet as it doesn't have priority over other traffic, but a lowered priority, therefore it has little impact but is running slower.

IDNet are more likely to give you a connection that they haven't played about with, it's yours to use as you see fit. Dropbox is then able to grab the lions share of bandwidth having a knock on effect.

You can tame Dropbox so that it doesn't try and use all your bandwidth, it should self learn what speeds are appropriate but might be confused after your upgrade, some info here may help:

https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/sync-...
Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Mon 26-Apr-21 16:04:51
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Yea never understood why people would think it isn't normal. Similar to downloads. Set off something downloading then doing anything else while the download is active will slow things down
  Print Thread

Jump to