General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User brezy321
(newbie) Sun 07-Feb-21 20:59:14
Print Post

Re: New to FTTC - have I got it totally wrong?

[re: andynormancx] [link to this post]

Thanks for all your replies.

Just a thought, but would switching to a better ISP be at all a benefit to my speed? If Voda can't get beyond the current sync, would switching to say TalkTalk or another supplier be any different?

In fairness I didn't review this when I bought the Vodafone broadband, but they are the most complained about ISP on the market. Wondering if perhaps I should use the 14 day cooling off period which ends ASAP and ditch them. Would it be any better on another provider?

Thanks.
Standard User Vista2003
(newbie) Sun 07-Feb-21 21:15:21
Print Post

[re: brezy321] [link to this post]

Zen has a really good write up of how the DLM works and you can read up on it here:
https://support.zen.co.uk/kb/KnowledgebaseArticle.as...

For VDSL based connections, your target SNR margin is 6db for most providers, if it's close to 6db there isn't much you can do to increase speed without changing some equipment.

Regarding what you can change, I've found a minor speed bump by going with a twisted pair DSL cable instead of the thin/flat DSL cable that comes with your router. I'm currently using the Tandy (yes they're still in business) DSL cable and that has given me a minor 3mbps boost (though results may vary), remember that shorter is better with these cables.

If your ISP doesn't make a fuss over third party routers, consider swapping the ISP-provided router for either an old Openreach HG612 modem or an Openreach certified modem. The HG612 is quite cheap to obtain and in my experience is rock solid stable and also can be unlocked very easily which will also give you more in detail stats on your DSL connection.

The BT wholesale checker information is only meant to give an approximation of the line's performance and in many cases, you'll get speeds that are slower than what it says. The speed range quote that you get when signing up to broadband is fairly accurate.
Standard User Vista2003
(newbie) Sun 07-Feb-21 21:23:39
Print Post

[re: brezy321] [link to this post]

When I switched from BT and Zen a few weeks ago, the connection for me did get resynced with a higher speed that wasn't capped by BT (since I had previous issues on the line and the IP profile had become stuck) so in some cases, yes it can help though I wouldn't count on it.

In terms of recommendations for an ISP, Zen though a tad more expensive than their competition has been really good compared to BT in terms of their service and customer support.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User brezy321
(newbie) Mon 08-Feb-21 16:40:22
Print Post

[re: Vista2003] [link to this post]

Very interesting article from Zen about DLM! Learnt quite a bit with that.

So far no improvement with the speeds, they have remained the same as per my original post. I will order a better cable - twisted shielded variety to see if that makes a small improvement.

I have reached out to the ISP as well but I am not holding much hope as for them the line performs to the speed they offered. But it is a shame living so close to the cabinet and with the max upstream speed I can't get a better download speed.

I had a look at the other ISPs but they are all quite a bit more expensive so I think I will stay put for now. Hoping over this week perhaps the speed might improve if the line is stable.

Latest stats:

Line Quality
Downstream Upstream
Current Rate 68938 kbps 20000 kbps
Maximum Rate 69264 kbps 24894 kbps
Signal-to-Noise Ratio 6.2 dB 9.2 dB
Attenuation DS1 9.7 dB, DS2 23.9 dB, DS3 37.3 dB US0 6.0 dB, US1 21.3 dB, US2 32.0 dB
Power 13.3 dBm 6.6 dBm
CRC Errors in last 6028 minute(s) 395 76
K (number of bytes in DMT frame) 0 0
R (number of bytes in RS code word) 0 16
S (RS code word size in DMT frame) 0.1108 0.3771
D (interleaver depth) 1 1
Delay 0 ms 0 ms
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to