General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Claired
(newbie) Sun 14-Feb-21 01:00:05
Print Post

Neighbours have FTTP but I dont

[link to this post]

I am due to move into a property which only has 6mb of copper broadband. However I have discovered my neighbours have FTTP. When i spoke to BT they said they need to speak to openreach but i need to decide if to sign the tenancy next week and cant wait long for a responce. On bt broadband checker it stated awairing availability on open reach it states may be coming soon. Please help.
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 14-Feb-21 09:25:27
Print Post

Re: Neighbours have FTTP but I dont

[re: Claired] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Claired:
I am due to move into a property which only has 6mb of copper broadband. However I have discovered my neighbours have FTTP. When i spoke to BT they said they need to speak to openreach but i need to decide if to sign the tenancy next week and cant wait long for a responce. On bt broadband checker it stated awairing availability on open reach it states may be coming soon. Please help.
How many neighbours are you talking about and are they the ones next door? The issue is trying to determine if its a mistake or not. Do you have a postcode area that you could post?
Standard User Claired
(newbie) Sun 14-Feb-21 09:30:57
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

Hi

Postcode if MK109PL. The two neighbours either side have it and other people in the same street. On openreach it states mine is coming soon and some other houses on street it stayes not available. On BT checker it states on waiting list.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 14-Feb-21 09:57:15
Print Post

Hi

Postcode if MK109PL. The two neighbours either side have it and other people in the same street. On openreach it states mine is coming soon and some other houses on street it stayes not available. On BT checker it states on waiting list.
Its a strange one, in the same street you have fttp only properties, ADSL only properties and some that have access to both. The fact that properties on either side can get it but you can't seems strange. If it was me I would send a PM to MrSaffron who is the moderator of this forum and state clearly what the problem is as he may be able to poke someone at Openreach to get it clarified.
Standard User TheInstaller
(learned) Sun 14-Feb-21 10:53:50
Print Post

Is this a normal house or a flat? Looking on street view at that post code you gave there are different types of property. Some are standard houses, some will be MDU (flats) properties most likely and that might well be why some are showing as not available right now. It might be that the landlord has not given permission for the fibre to be installed in the building. If that is the case, then who knows how long it might take for that to be resolved. Without permission from the landlord, Openreach won't fit any fibre into those types of buildings.

Edited by TheInstaller (Sun 14-Feb-21 10:56:28)

Standard User Claired
(newbie) Sun 14-Feb-21 11:00:37
Print Post

[re: TheInstaller] [link to this post]

Thank you for your response. The house is mid terrace and open reach shows the houses either side can get the fibre. The landlord will grant permission now. It stills seems illogical.
Standard User Fastman3
(member) Sun 14-Feb-21 12:05:26
Print Post

this one is very odd , def get it checked out
Standard User kitcat
(experienced) Sun 14-Feb-21 14:04:45
Print Post

Claired

I think the clue is in the Waiting list ( See no 37) this would only occur when the final splitter or fibre DP is over subscribed . This can happen when a premises has more than one FTTP service provided.. Early FTTP areas did not plan on having more than one service per dwelling, however some people have more than one service and this can either exceed the splitter capacity or where more than 1 fibre is run to a dwelling the DP capacity. I have heard that they now plan 120% capacity to over come this issue.

You are now waiting for either an additional splitter to be provided or for a 2nd DP to be provided

You can see that number 31 has an active FTTP service and can also order so I suspect you fibre DP is full. ( Could be 4, 8, 12 or 16 port.) Evidence s below for this.

Most houses in the 30s have active services some have spare ports on the ONT and can order but some have a single port ONT and would go on the waiting list to get a 2nd service ( No 35)
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 14-Feb-21 15:53:50
Print Post

In reply to a post by kitcat:
You are now waiting for either an additional splitter to be provided or for a 2nd DP to be provided
I'll put money on Kitcat being correct, as this requires engineers to increase fttp capacity in your street I would think it extremely unlikely it would be done before you sign your tenancy next week and I'm not sure Openreach will even give you an ETA for when the work will be done so you would need to decide if you can live with ADSL in the mean time.
Standard User GonePostal
(committed) Sun 14-Feb-21 15:58:07
Print Post

In reply to a post by dect:
In reply to a post by kitcat:
I'll put money on Kitcat being correct, as this requires engineers to increase fttp capacity in your street I would think it extremely unlikely it would be done before you sign your tenancy next week and I'm not sure Openreach will even give you an ETA for when the work will be done so you would need to decide if you can live with ADSL in the mean time.

. . . or 4G/5G?
Standard User jabuzzard
(experienced) Sun 14-Feb-21 16:05:18
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

Chalk this one up to another utter failure of Openreach to understand demand for broadband products going right back to the original ADSL trials.
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 14-Feb-21 16:10:36
Print Post

[re: GonePostal] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by GonePostal:
. . . or 4G/5G?
Yeah I was thinking that also but to achieve it they would need to lay out some money for a router/sim and thought OP may not want to do that if the waiting list issue is going to be resolved in the "near" future.
Standard User Claired
(newbie) Sun 14-Feb-21 16:32:29
Print Post

Unfortunately i would not move in. Its so disappointing that around 95% of MK has fibre and that I cant wfh and honeschool on 6mb.
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 14-Feb-21 16:57:23
Print Post

Unfortunately I would not move in.
Sorry to hear that frown
Standard User Fastman3
(member) Sun 14-Feb-21 18:32:57
Print Post

[re: jabuzzard] [link to this post]

really

this is a bradwell abbey where we have deployed significant FTTP ovber the past 6- 8 years
Standard User Fastman3
(member) Sun 14-Feb-21 18:35:41
Print Post

is this recent premises as it could be premises that was built after the intial FTTP are was done - there are 2 or 3 horror places from memory in Bradwell abbey that developers chose to have copper where other houses already had FTTP , thus creating new not spots
Standard User Fastman3
(member) Sun 14-Feb-21 18:38:37
Print Post

i wold disagree

does your corner shop stock every produt in the coutry on the off chance you might want it ,

anyone building networks scale there networks accordingly as take up increases but that takes time and money (not a lot if you are funding infrastructure you might not see a return until some time in the 2030s at earliest
Standard User kitcat
(experienced) Sun 14-Feb-21 19:51:42
Print Post

jabuzzard

That's a bit steep really, these are domestic premises and when the FTTP was provided some years back few people would have considered needing two fibre terminations to a single house, ( 4 port ONTs would have served multiple services from 1 pair of fibres ) .Fairly certain that it is a fibre DP problem from who can order and who cannot and that some people already have two services. You cannot predict individual small areas where penetration is above 100%, over supplying everywhere would have put the cost above what OFCOM would enable OR to recover which means making a loss and therefore less FTTP.

Now OR can prove to OFCOM that the 100% supply is required so can cost recover and the equipment is far cheaper than when they first started in 2012
ISP Representative aquiss
(isp) Mon 15-Feb-21 09:39:11
Print Post

This looks like it could be a possible database issue. We see this a lot, with random properties unable to see FTTP, whilst neighbours already have it. I've already had 3 cases come across my desk this morning.

If you want to reach out to me, we can have a chat with Openreach for you.

Martin Pitt
Company Founder
Aquiss Limited
https://www.aquiss.net

FTTC, FTTP, GEA, EFM, Leased Lines, Telecoms and Hosting
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 15-Feb-21 10:56:03
Print Post

[re: Fastman3] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Fastman3:
is this recent premises as it could be premises that was built after the intial FTTP are was done - there are 2 or 3 horror places from memory in Bradwell abbey that developers chose to have copper where other houses already had FTTP , thus creating new not spots
Just guessing but I am assuming that as it is mid terrace and the houses either side have FTTP then that probably isn't the issue here wink
Standard User JohnR
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 15-Feb-21 14:02:43
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

Or even think that WFH would become the norm for many that used to work in large call centers.. Due to a Virus.

Family is for LIFE, not just Christmas
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 19-Feb-21 22:25:56
Print Post

[re: JohnR] [link to this post]

Full DP so waiting on expansion or a checker error.

Email me Andrew at thinkbroadband dot com on Monday morning (i.e. when a chance Openreach may be at desks/dining room tables) and will see if can get anywhere

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User hoopla
(committed) Fri 05-Mar-21 16:27:30
Print Post

Late reply.

If I was in your position, I would speak to one or both of my neighbours and ask to share their internet connection in return for sharing some of the cost.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to