General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User brezy321
(newbie) Wed 17-Feb-21 13:43:44
Print Post

Wireless Extender - do these interfere with main WiFi

[link to this post]

Hi All

I hope everyone is safe and well!

I recently switched over my broadband from Virgin to Vodafone. The Vodafone router is in my view, very good, and the WiFi coverage I get at home is decent. However in the kitchen I don't get a signal (in fairness it is far from the router and blocked by several walls from where my router is) and I wanted to explore an option of using an extender.

I've seen a reasonably priced option from TP Link which I thought to give a go. However, I've heard from others that these plug-in extenders actually interfere with the main WiFi signal, and can cause a drop in speed as a result. Is this true? Does anyone have any recommendations for an extender that wouldn't cause this interference?

Thank you for your help.
Standard User APTMAN
(member) Tue 23-Feb-21 09:44:09
Print Post

Re: Wireless Extender - do these interfere with main WiFi

[re: brezy321] [link to this post]

If you are on ADSL, ADSL2, VDSL That uses a 'Radio Signal' down the telephone wires and it's that it interferes with .
look into using your old router for a free WiFi extender (google it ).
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 23-Feb-21 11:58:16
Print Post

[re: APTMAN] [link to this post]

Assuming it is just a wifi extender rather than a PowerLine device then it wouldn't interfere with the incoming line any more than any other wifi device would.

For the OP I had a TPLink device (the RE305) and the main issue with it was it needed rebooting every few weeks as it would just stop taking new connections. I also had it configured with a different SSID as handover between points is not great when using these extenders so I wanted to be able to force to connect to the access point. As far as slowing down the main wifi that isn't really likely to be an issue - the biggest potential issue would be if using the same channels for trasmit as the main device as you might get channel interference then.

The TP Link is generally a cheap and cheerful solution with some compromise. I ended up replacing mine with BT discs because I had a smart hub 2 and could use them in a full mesh network rather than using wireless extending as per the TP Link solution.

There are a number of wireless mesh solutions out there but they tend not to be cheap and most would replace the wireless on your router rather than make use of it.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User GonePostal
(committed) Tue 23-Feb-21 12:34:08
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Similar to ian72. We used a TP-Link AC1200 as a range extender (19th. century house with some thick stone internal walls) and had to set it up on a separate SSID as devices were not handing over. There was no obvious effect on speeds, just the faff of re-connecting when moving from room to room. Now replaced with 2 x Tenda Nova mesh units at getting on for three times the price of the single TP-Link unit but handover now seamless and speeds not affected.
  Print Thread

Jump to