General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Simon_Matthews
(newbie) Tue 02-Mar-21 14:50:45
Print Post

Do I have to give a months notice after end of contract?

[link to this post]

I just left TalkTalk to go to Virgin Media. My TalkTalk 18 month contract ended about a year ago. Do I have to give a months notice to TalkTalk even though I am not in a contract with them?
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 02-Mar-21 14:54:04
Print Post

Re: Do I have to give a months notice after end of contract?

[re: Simon_Matthews] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Simon_Matthews:
I just left TalkTalk to go to Virgin Media. My TalkTalk 18 month contract ended about a year ago. Do I have to give a months notice to TalkTalk even though I am not in a contract with them?
Yes. You are still in contract which has terms for how to end, you are just no longer in a "mandatory minimum term" period.

The broadband and mobile phone industry generically say "end of contract" when they mean you are no longer tied in to this mandatory time period. You are still under a contract for service, which either side can terminate, normally with 30 days notice. You are advised to check.

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM

Edited by jchamier (Tue 02-Mar-21 14:54:32)

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 02-Mar-21 15:28:18
Print Post

Just call TalkTalk to cancel once VM goes live, chances are they will cancel it in well under a month.

Oliver.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Tue 02-Mar-21 16:26:51
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

OK, thanks for clearing that up for me, I wasn't sure. So to clarify, once I have phoned them to cancel the service I will need to pay the next 2 bills - one that covers the current month and one that covers the notice month. Is that right?
(newbie) Tue 02-Mar-21 16:34:28
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

I've already taken out a contract with Virgin because there was a deal on. I then contacted TalkTalk to cancel their service and found out that I would have to pay another 2 bills before the service ended. This includes the current month and the notice month.

Cheekily they increased my monthly charge on this month's bill by £2.50 and also stated that my next bill will increase further as well, so 2 price hikes on my last 2 bills. It looks like they have deliberately increased my bill because I am leaving them.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 02-Mar-21 17:56:21
Print Post

OK, thanks for clearing that up for me, I wasn't sure. So to clarify, once I have phoned them to cancel the service I will need to pay the next 2 bills - one that covers the current month and one that covers the notice month. Is that right?
The second bill may not be for a full 30 days, it should be pro-rata to the date you give notice + 30.

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 02-Mar-21 18:29:26
Print Post

I've already taken out a contract with Virgin because there was a deal on.

I was suggesting you wait until you are connected to VM before cancelling TT. If there's a problem activating VM you could be without broadband.

Oliver.
(newbie) Tue 02-Mar-21 20:32:49
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

OK, great, thanks for the info.
Standard User dandnsmith
(experienced) Wed 03-Mar-21 07:55:39
Print Post

In addition to what has already been said, I would add a warning based on recent experience of just such a transfer.
VM, for me , happily gave an install date sufficiently far in the future to allow for notice to my existing ISP.
Shortly before the date (about a week) they told me they wouldn't be able to meet the date, and set a new date about a month later (due to permission being needed from the local authority to do road works).
At the original date they took over my phone line and broadband, and then rescinded the takeover for the phone line (not the broadband). A few days later my phone ceased to work, and so did my broadband. My old ISP said they couldn't reinstate my service because VM still had a lock on it, and then had to cancel everything because they had now way to get things back.
VM persistently asserted that there was nothing they could do, even tho' they had caused the mess, and my old ISP explained what had happened, and how things worked in the transfer process, so they couldn't get me live again
I never managed to get my old phone number on the VM phone service.
Good luck

Derek
(newbie) Wed 03-Mar-21 14:05:01
Print Post

[re: dandnsmith] [link to this post]

I'm already live with Virgin. I set it up myself. It wasn't difficult as I have been with them in the past so the line was already there. The mistake I made was to assume I didn't have to give TalkTalk any notice and therefore I will now have to pay Virgin and TalkTalk simultaneously for another month even though I've already packed away my TalkTalk router. Doh!
  Print Thread

Jump to