General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 15-Apr-21 12:21:19
Print Post

Re: Copper Retirement. Will Openreach remove unused lines?

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:
There is no FTTC. The cable to the cabinet would be about 5km and I don't think the cabinet was upgraded to FTTC.
Easily checked. Perhaps you could even get FTTP now if you haven't looked.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
The EU’s multiple failures are due to a deeper malaise .... What malaise? The EU’s formidable immunity to the smallest amount of democracy. New Statesman Feb 2021.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 15-Apr-21 16:24:25
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
There is no FTTC. The cable to the cabinet would be about 5km and I don't think the cabinet was upgraded to FTTC.
The issue is about how Openreach will treat customers at the time of PSTN switch off, who just have a telephone service and live in an area where there is an altnet FTTP service and at the moment no Openreach FTTP.

Michael Chare
Standard User The_Highwayman
(newbie) Thu 15-Apr-21 16:30:20
Print Post

BTOpenreach really are talking about copper retirement and quoting December 2025 as a final a date (December 2023 as final new lines) for ALL of UK - that's just under 4 years away, or 'two renewals' of 2 year ISP contracts !

I do wish OFCom would publish their intentions for the average and the Vulnerable consumer - not just their goble-de-gook rulings on regulatory requirements.

I fear the UK is sleep walking into a revolutionary change that will affect all sorts of user (the Vulnerable, with DTMF dial up Plain Old Telephone emergency assistance caller equipment; all users who want to retain land line phone, perhaps needing to upgrade to VOIP, at considerable expense in handsets alone).

It would seem to me the original question 'Will Openreach remove unused lines?' is quite valid - they are / were responsible up to the old BT style socket at one time.

https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/retiring-t...

https://www.openreach.com/upgrading-the-UK-to-digita...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Realalemadrid
(committed) Thu 15-Apr-21 16:50:41
Print Post

I fail to understand what FTTP has to do with it, as Robertos has said the customer will still have a copper line so an ADSL broadband service can provide a VOIP telephone as very little bandwidth is required.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 15-Apr-21 17:58:15
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
The issue is about how Openreach will treat customers at the time of PSTN switch off, who just have a telephone service and live in an area where there is an altnet FTTP service and at the moment no Openreach FTTP.

To start out, it sounded more like you just wanted your dropwire recovered, (gratis) and wondered if this might happen when the switch off of Wholesale PSTN telephony in exchanges occurs.

I would think Openreach won’t be doing anything different, just providing and maintaining the services their customers, the CP’s dictate.

Standard User witchunt
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 15-Apr-21 18:50:50
Print Post

[re: The_Highwayman] [link to this post]

Closing the bt PSTN (2025) is not copper retirement.
Copper will still be used for ADSL (BT and LLU), FTTC and g.fast , as well as legacy private circuits , for many years yet.
There is no scheduled program announced to recover copper services.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 15-Apr-21 20:15:14
Print Post

Openreach won't need to do anything except keep the copper line service working between the customer home and the other end.

BT retail and other communication providers will stop providing PSTN (analogue voice) over those wires, and will instead provide a low spec data service (64kbps for example) and provide a box to the customer to plug their phone into.

PSTN != Copper.

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 15-Apr-21 20:19:48
Print Post

[re: Realalemadrid] [link to this post]

smile
I introduced the FTTP question, (although the OP did mention Gigaclear), because if he doesn't know whether or not he can get FTTC then he presumably doesn't know about FTTP at his location either.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
The EU’s multiple failures are due to a deeper malaise .... What malaise? The EU’s formidable immunity to the smallest amount of democracy. New Statesman Feb 2021.
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 15-Apr-21 21:15:47
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by witchunt:
Closing the bt PSTN (2025) is not copper retirement.
Copper will still be used for ADSL (BT and LLU), FTTC and g.fast , as well as legacy private circuits , for many years yet.
There is no scheduled program announced to recover copper services.
There is quite a bit about the subject in this Ofcom document[/url.

Michael Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 15-Apr-21 21:26:59
Print Post

[re: The_Highwayman] [link to this post]

Another issue is the need for power. If you want broadband you can accept that you will have to provide a power point near your master socket but would you be happy being told you must do this if all you want to do is to continue making phone calls.

Michael Chare
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to