General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Whitehall11
(regular) Thu 15-Apr-21 23:40:06
Print Post

Re: Copper Retirement. Will Openreach remove unused lines?

[re: Pheasant] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Pheasant:
In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:
Well yes, but do Openreach really want to encourage the loss of telephone only customers and there is also the problem that mobile phones need a mobile signal and that is often not as good as one would like.

On the first point, Openreach don't want to have anything to do with the physical provision of voice services going forward. Clear evidence of their strategy was the removal of the voice port on their ONTs in 2019.

On the seconds point, perhaps counterintuitively but 'mobile signal' can often be interchanged with WiFi signal (with WiFi Calling and SMSoverWiFi) and the better for it - at least in the home and places like deep-line tube stations.

I'd probably throw into the mix here that OR benefit directly from Mobile providers linking into their network anyway, so it's a win-win situation for them really as the times move.

Remove Legacy Tele Kit & Increase subscriber rate for customers
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 15-Apr-21 23:55:20
Print Post

In reply to a post by Pheasant:
Well yes, but do Openreach really want to encourage the loss of telephone only customers and there is also the problem that mobile phones need a mobile signal and that is often not as good as one would like.

On the first point, Openreach don't want to have anything to do with the physical provision of voice services going forward. Clear evidence of their strategy was the removal of the voice port on their ONTs in 2019.

On the seconds point, perhaps counterintuitively but 'mobile signal' can often be interchanged with WiFi signal (with WiFi Calling and SMSoverWiFi) and the better for it - at least in the home and places like deep-line tube stations.

Google has helped me get Wifi calling working on my mobile, I have even found an app that lets me force the phone to use that, which is useful where there is poor mobile signal that the mobile otherwise tries to use.

Michael Chare
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 16-Apr-21 00:41:54
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

Either you have a rather out of date or low-spec phone, or you simply haven't found the requisite setting. With the setting it will automatically switch to your router when available.

You shouldn't need an app to force it. Beware of at best a scam product like ones that offer and charge to find you information that is available free from the underlying source, or at worst, malware that you have given access to loads of stuff on your phone. One from your mobile connection provider will of course be safe.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
The EU’s multiple failures are due to a deeper malaise .... What malaise? The EU’s formidable immunity to the smallest amount of democracy. New Statesman Feb 2021.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 16-Apr-21 06:52:39
Print Post

Google has helped me get Wifi calling working on my mobile, I have even found an app that lets me force the phone to use that, which is useful where there is poor mobile signal that the mobile otherwise tries to use.
With Android depending on the age of the phone the choice it makes between using the WiFi or using the mobile network is often set at time of manufacture. With iPhones this can be changed by the network operator in the configuration bundle that is updated automatically. In 2021 the normal effect is for WiFi calling to only work when mobile signal is very poor.

You can easily force WiFi calling by going to airplane mode, and then turning on WiFi. But remember to reverse this before you leave the home!

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 16-Apr-21 06:53:59
Print Post

Thank you for the link. It says that IP will be used but it does not mention what hardware will be used.
I suspect this is because it will depend on the company you buy your "phone" voice service from. Openreach won't be involved unless they are providing the wires. E.g. with your AltNet you could easily buy from Sipgate, A&A, or any of the VoIP suppliers.

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Fri 16-Apr-21 07:49:59
Print Post

As per what the others guys have said WiFi Calling should be a seamless experience. The phone should handle it in the background, exactly akin to seamlessly switching between masts. Really it requires no user intervention, other than enabling it from phone settings.

Third party apps are a no no.
Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Fri 16-Apr-21 07:59:06
Print Post

[re: Whitehall11] [link to this post]

Indeed. Openreach are a wholesale service provider to the providers.

Strategically they don’t want to be messing about providing ‘upper layer’ (comms provider) services. Exactly the services their customers - the comms providers are in the business of. Voice service is just another of those services.

That said fixed line is in terminal decline bothe absolute minutes/volumes and revenues - voice has been driven to either mobile or the mega messaging / social media platforms.

None of my kids have used a fixed line phone in their lives practically. Their children will look upon it as a quaint anachronism. If not already.
Standard User witchunt
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 16-Apr-21 09:06:37
Print Post

That just a stop sell of those services. No copper recovery involved
Standard User Michael_Chare
(knowledge is power) Fri 16-Apr-21 11:57:22
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
You can easily force WiFi calling by going to airplane mode, and then turning on WiFi. But remember to reverse this before you leave the home!
I have often seen that claim so I would think that it must be true with some phones. I have tried several times, but on my phone Wifi can't be used for a call in airplane mode even if turned on. I don't like the app but it does work. The phone uses Android One and I get monthly updates so it is a pity that the problem has not been fixed.

Michael Chare
Standard User longedge
(experienced) Fri 16-Apr-21 13:03:11
Print Post

WiFi calling isn't only down to the phone capabilities. I made the mistake of moving to PlusNet mobile which does not support it even though it is resold EE which does. I was previously with Three which also supports it and it was seamless. I now have dead spots around my house frown.

To enable it on my iPhone is just a tick in the box in settings.

plusnet FTTC 55/10
Using a Fritz!Box 7530

Live BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to