General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Michael_Chare
(knowledge is power) Fri 16-Apr-21 16:02:17
Print Post

Re: Copper Retirement. Will Openreach remove unused lines?

[re: longedge] [link to this post]

There are now a few MVNOs that support Wifi calling. Id Mobile is one.

Michael Chare
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 16-Apr-21 19:35:37
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:
I have often seen that claim so I would think that it must be true with some phones. I have tried several times, but on my phone Wifi can't be used for a call in airplane mode even if turned on. I don't like the app but it does work. The phone uses Android One and I get monthly updates so it is a pity that the problem has not been fixed.
It works on my iPhone (on EE) and OnePlus phone (using a Three PAYG SIM). Which mobile network are you using?

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 16-Apr-21 19:38:21
Print Post

[re: longedge] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by longedge:
"even though it is resold EE which does".
Not quite how a virtual network works, sadly. There are 4 physical networks that transmit signal (EE, Vodafone, O2, Three) and then there are lots of virtual networks. Some virtual networks use the mobile signal of a host, but then run their own core (Sky, and Virgin Mobile are the main two that do this, Sky hosted by O2, and Virgin Mobile hosted on Vodafone). Some other virtual networks pay the host to run everything for them, I believe Plusnet is in that category.

To be cheaper, you have to lose features.

Plusnet mobile for example does not have WIFi calling or 4G calling which means calls fall back to 3G or 2G.

Edited by jchamier (Fri 16-Apr-21 19:39:35)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Fri 16-Apr-21 19:52:04
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

From the MVNO's Virgin Media, Sky and iD Mobile offer WiFi Calling currently (certain handsets).

Are there any others?
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 16-Apr-21 21:35:09
Print Post

[re: Pheasant] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Pheasant:
From the MVNO's Virgin Media, Sky and iD Mobile offer WiFi Calling currently (certain handsets).
Are there any others?
Lots are marked ‘coming soon’ on that chart. Otherwise only the physical networks, many of which you need to be on pay-monthly account to get WiFi calling. (From memory I think its only Three and Vodafone that offer WiFi calling on PAYG).

“Coming soon” is good to see, shows even the MVNO’s are aware that indoor coverage is being impacted in new buildings with foil backed insulation making WiFi calling almost essential in modern homes.

Edited by jchamier (Fri 16-Apr-21 21:35:53)

(knowledge is power) Fri 16-Apr-21 22:09:43
Print Post

The phone uses the Vodafone network. The phone is an Xiami MI A2. Wifi calling is not in the regular configuration but can be switched on be entering a long code, as can 4G calling. Wifi calling does work but with the limitation I explained. I used to have a Vodafone Sure Signal device but like all the other ones it died just after 2 years at least it did not explode as some earlier ones did! I tried replacing some of the capacitors but it still did not work. Vodafone are stopping support for the Sure Signal system later this year.

Michael Chare
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 16-Apr-21 22:21:13
Print Post

That is a shame Vodafone didn’t sell you a phone that did Wi-Fi calling properly.

Most networks will stop home devices like SureSignal because the plan is to shut down 3G in the next few years. The networks dislike the home user Femto Cells and are moving everyone to Wi-Fi calling.

(Business systems are different but not normally available at home and a lot more expensive)

Edited by jchamier (Fri 16-Apr-21 22:23:38)

(knowledge is power) Fri 16-Apr-21 23:19:06
Print Post

I have a Vodafone Sim only contract maybe 12 months. The phone itself was bought two years ago from a Hong Kong website. I am glad that the brand of phones are now sold in the UK as that means that any necessary repair is more likely to be possible.

Michael Chare
Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Fri 16-Apr-21 23:28:15
Print Post

Yes the legendary Sure Signal generation 2 and 3 self destruct. Pure Alcatel outsourced garbage. I was into replacement generation three on Sure Signal as I ran them at home, in our home office and out in the sheds where the signal was dire. Folks were known to “swiss cheese” - drill the casing full of holes to keep them cool in a bid to make them last longer. Jeez what trash.

The last replacements (I had 4 spares/replacements in the cupboard) units both abruptly stopped working last month however as calls etc were still fine it was WiFi Calling that had picked up the baton. VF have pretty much withdrawn support for Sure Signal now...really no point even wasting your time calling support.

The future across all networks really is for small biz and domestic black / not spots is WiFi Calling, unless we’re talking leaky coax commercial repeater systems. That’s whole other ball game.

Edited by Pheasant (Fri 16-Apr-21 23:29:10)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 17-Apr-21 10:09:26
Print Post

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:
I have a Vodafone Sim only contract maybe 12 months. The phone itself was bought two years ago from a Hong Kong website.
Use caution importing phones from a different region as you might find you get less coverage (including indoors) as phones designed for one region do not often support all the frequencies used in other regions. OnePlus has regional variations, and even Apple has. Some of the variations include features such as WiFi calling or 4G calling. Its normally a case of buyer beware, its cheaper for a reason.

I am glad that the brand of phones are now sold in the UK as that means that any necessary repair is more likely to be possible.
Maybe, if an imported model is also sold here. Some companies require imported models to be sent back to the region of origin for repair.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to