General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 17-Apr-21 10:12:03
Print Post

Re: Copper Retirement. Will Openreach remove unused lines?

[re: Pheasant] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Pheasant:
VF have pretty much withdrawn support for Sure Signal now..
As a colleague found when his failed, they tell you the service is closed. The website is fairly specific too. It did force our enterprise team to get their act together and enable WiFi calling for all users.

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Sat 17-Apr-21 10:55:42
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

When they worked they were OK. The last batch seemed to last the longest. Not only was the reliability of the devices themselves questionable, but the management portal UX was frankly horrible and issues with things like white listing of allowed IP ranges was frankly unnecessary and made the service even less manageable for end users. To be honest I’m glad to see the back of them.

Edited by Pheasant (Sat 17-Apr-21 10:56:46)

Standard User dect
(knowledge is power) Sat 17-Apr-21 11:20:24
Print Post

I've seen a fair few people buy these imported mobile phones over the years and 100% of them have ended up in the bin within weeks, thats not to say others are not happy with them but I normally suggest buying a lower spec UK model if cost is a major factor.

Edited by dect (Sat 17-Apr-21 11:22:12)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 17-Apr-21 16:04:36
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dect:
I normally suggest buying a lower spec UK model if cost is a major factor.
Good plan, especially to those whom rely on coverage in maybe rural or complex city areas.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 17-Apr-21 16:06:53
Print Post

[re: Pheasant] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Pheasant:
To be honest I’m glad to see the back of them.
The networks are as well, they were apparently a pain to manage from the radio spectrum direction, one reason why the other 3 main networks didn’t sell them, but only provided to those with major problems. I suspect any still working will be disabled when 3G is turned off on all of the macro networks (Voda, O2, EE, Three).

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 17-Apr-21 22:13:33
Print Post

In reply to a post by jchamier:
In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:
I have often seen that claim so I would think that it must be true with some phones. I have tried several times, but on my phone Wifi can't be used for a call in airplane mode even if turned on. I don't like the app but it does work. The phone uses Android One and I get monthly updates so it is a pity that the problem has not been fixed.
It works on my iPhone (on EE) and OnePlus phone (using a Three PAYG SIM). Which mobile network are you using?
Which OnePlus phone please? My 8 Pro has the setting and it works, but my brother has a 8 and that doesn't have it. The sick bit being he needs it as his signal is dreadful, and I don't.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
The EU’s multiple failures are due to a deeper malaise .... What malaise? The EU’s formidable immunity to the smallest amount of democracy. New Statesman Feb 2021.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 17-Apr-21 22:46:50
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I have a OnePlus Nord.
Which SIM / network does your brother use?
An O2 PAYG sim seems to hide the Wi-Fi calling options.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 17-Apr-21 23:38:10
Print Post

Ahhh! He is on O2. I might take one of my spare Three SIMs along when I can go over in the near future. Thanks smile.

What I don't quite understand is how it works for incoming calls. Or doesn't it? Just bi-directional over the net when instigated by him.

Edit! It's a contract though, not PAYG.
Edit2: Makes sense in a way. Letting a PAYG SIM use the home router for calls rather screws the business model of PAYG.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
The EU’s multiple failures are due to a deeper malaise .... What malaise? The EU’s formidable immunity to the smallest amount of democracy. New Statesman Feb 2021.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 17-Apr-21 23:41:07)

Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Sun 18-Apr-21 09:24:28
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

I assume they will keep them as unless you can get FTTP in your area by 2025, then you need a copper cable for ADSL/FTTC etc?
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 18-Apr-21 13:19:53
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Ahhh! He is on O2. I might take one of my spare Three SIMs along when I can go over in the near future. Thanks smile.
Three was the first to enable WiFi calling (and 4G calling) for PAYG users. I am informed that Vodafone PAYG mostly works now, but EE and O2 may only today be for contract users (including 30day sim only)

O2 is unfortunately the slowest network to update to these technologies. It appears Three are the early adopters, EE are steady and fast moving, Vodafone is trying to get into the same state as EE, and O2 is bringing up the rear.

What I don't quite understand is how it works for incoming calls. Or doesn't it? Just bi-directional over the net when instigated by him.
Its an IPsec connection from the handset to the network. Calls work both ways as the handset keeps the link open (solves the inbound NAT complexity). Don't do as I did and turn off "IPsec PassThru" in my Asus router and wonder why WiFi calling wasn't working. not many routers have that option.

Edit! It's a contract though, not PAYG.
Then it could depend on the handset. Three and EE support more handsets than the other two today, but this is changing fast as Android upgrades.

Edit2: Makes sense in a way. Letting a PAYG SIM use the home router for calls rather screws the business model of PAYG.
nope, you STILL pay from credit, or bundle, when using WiFi calling. It literally replaces the signal, the billing is identical to using the macro network.

Think of WiFi calling as a Femto Cell built into your handset (e.g. Vodafone SureSignal).

I can see a lot of this changing by the end of 2021 as 3G gets reduced and withdrawn in favour of 4G on the same frequencies.

https://www.o2.co.uk/connectivity/wifi-and-4g-calling

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to