General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 14-Apr-21 17:23:25
Print Post

Copper Retirement. Will Openreach remove unused lines?

[link to this post]

Are Openreach expected to remove old telephone lines as part of Copper Retirement. There is an overhead telephone line coming to my house which I have not used for the past 6 years so I am wondering if Openreach will remove it when they stop PSTN telephone services. The line was only good for 1.3Mbps ADSL.

Michael Chare
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 14-Apr-21 17:43:59
Print Post

Re: Copper Retirement. Will Openreach remove unused lines?

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

Just my guess, but no.

Much copper still required for a good while longer yet. FTTC, SOGEA, G.Fast etc

Standard User partial
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 14-Apr-21 17:58:17
Print Post

When they retired the copper junction cables they often sold them to firms in situ. So the firms had to recover them. So I would guess that eventually maybe firms could buy area recovery contracts.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kitcat
(experienced) Wed 14-Apr-21 19:19:27
Print Post

If they come to provide Fibre Overhead they will usually remove the old copper.

However a proactive removal of dropwires is unlikely to cost in as the scrap value is low due to the attached insulation. Recovery of cables from Cab to pole may happen for larger cables to give duct space.( or pole space is OH) and Larger cables from Exchange to Cab are likely to cost in on scrap value and duct space reuse. Depends on scrap value for the timing, in a (high price) good year every dodgy scrappy will do it for 'free' (usually overnight) taking every other cable as well!, in a bad year no-one wants it.
Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Wed 14-Apr-21 20:31:17
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

I'd imagine the desperate and dim (read those that risk life and limb to get the scrap) would presume that copper telephone drop cable has a worthwhile amount of copper it in. Unlike power cables (although mine is aluminium so they'd be stuffed anyhow!)

P.S. Openreach left my aerial copper drop in a few year ago. I've been patiently waiting for the obverhanging shrubbery to do the job, m but the [censored] is persistent! 😂😎
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 14-Apr-21 23:32:28
Print Post

[re: Pheasant] [link to this post]

I used to clear the vegetation away from my telephone line when I needed it to work, but I stopped doing this a few years ago and it is now well concealed. When I can no longer use it, I would quite like to get rid of it.

I live in an area where we have Gigaclear fibre, but no Openreach fibre. I do wonder what will happen to properties that don't use Gigaclear when the PSTN is switched off.

Michael Chare
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 15-Apr-21 01:27:58
Print Post

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:
I live in an area where we have Gigaclear fibre, but no Openreach fibre. I do wonder what will happen to properties that don't use Gigaclear when the PSTN is switched off.
FTTC etc. will still be using the copper, as Zarjaz said in the first reply. PSTN is purely the Openreach phone network. Replacement phone services will be provided over broadband wherever possible. VOIP by various names, BT calls it Digital Voice. Look at bt.com packages.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
The EU’s multiple failures are due to a deeper malaise .... What malaise? The EU’s formidable immunity to the smallest amount of democracy. New Statesman Feb 2021.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 15-Apr-21 07:08:51
Print Post

I do wonder what will happen to properties that don't use Gigaclear when the PSTN is switched off.
Don't think of the copper wire as a "phone line", think of it as a copper wire. Openreach will keep running data (FTTC) over the copper wire to allow a VoIP phone service. PSTN switch off is just removing some kit at the exchange.

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 15-Apr-21 10:35:33
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
FTTC etc. will still be using the copper, as Zarjaz said in the first reply. PSTN is purely the Openreach phone network. Replacement phone services will be provided over broadband wherever possible. VOIP by various names, BT calls it Digital Voice. Look at bt.com packages.
There is no FTTC. The cable to the cabinet would be about 5km and I don't think the cabinet was upgraded to FTTC.

Michael Chare
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 15-Apr-21 12:19:46
Print Post

You are being obscure.

You can get ADSL, (or ADSL2+ ?) from what you said earlier. Anyone who can do that can also get the "VOIP" service. So the loss of PSTN makes no difference to them.

The question of getting decent broadband speeds is completely unrelated to PSTN.

In your particular case the 10Mbps USO requirement kicks in, but if like myself you are using mobile broadband at above 10Mbps that doesn't apply to you. I assume you have checked out whether or not Openreach currently intend to supply FTTP to your area.

I just realised, re your Subject, you start from the wrong place. Copper is not being retired, and won't be for a long time.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
The EU’s multiple failures are due to a deeper malaise .... What malaise? The EU’s formidable immunity to the smallest amount of democracy. New Statesman Feb 2021.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 15-Apr-21 12:21:19
Print Post

There is no FTTC. The cable to the cabinet would be about 5km and I don't think the cabinet was upgraded to FTTC.
Easily checked. Perhaps you could even get FTTP now if you haven't looked.

========================
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 15-Apr-21 16:24:25
Print Post

The issue is about how Openreach will treat customers at the time of PSTN switch off, who just have a telephone service and live in an area where there is an altnet FTTP service and at the moment no Openreach FTTP.

Michael Chare
Standard User The_Highwayman
(newbie) Thu 15-Apr-21 16:30:20
Print Post

BTOpenreach really are talking about copper retirement and quoting December 2025 as a final a date (December 2023 as final new lines) for ALL of UK - that's just under 4 years away, or 'two renewals' of 2 year ISP contracts !

I do wish OFCom would publish their intentions for the average and the Vulnerable consumer - not just their goble-de-gook rulings on regulatory requirements.

I fear the UK is sleep walking into a revolutionary change that will affect all sorts of user (the Vulnerable, with DTMF dial up Plain Old Telephone emergency assistance caller equipment; all users who want to retain land line phone, perhaps needing to upgrade to VOIP, at considerable expense in handsets alone).

It would seem to me the original question 'Will Openreach remove unused lines?' is quite valid - they are / were responsible up to the old BT style socket at one time.

https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/retiring-t...

https://www.openreach.com/upgrading-the-UK-to-digita...
Standard User Realalemadrid
(committed) Thu 15-Apr-21 16:50:41
Print Post

I fail to understand what FTTP has to do with it, as Robertos has said the customer will still have a copper line so an ADSL broadband service can provide a VOIP telephone as very little bandwidth is required.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 15-Apr-21 17:58:15
Print Post

The issue is about how Openreach will treat customers at the time of PSTN switch off, who just have a telephone service and live in an area where there is an altnet FTTP service and at the moment no Openreach FTTP.

To start out, it sounded more like you just wanted your dropwire recovered, (gratis) and wondered if this might happen when the switch off of Wholesale PSTN telephony in exchanges occurs.

I would think Openreach won’t be doing anything different, just providing and maintaining the services their customers, the CP’s dictate.

Standard User witchunt
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 15-Apr-21 18:50:50
Print Post

[re: The_Highwayman] [link to this post]

Closing the bt PSTN (2025) is not copper retirement.
Copper will still be used for ADSL (BT and LLU), FTTC and g.fast , as well as legacy private circuits , for many years yet.
There is no scheduled program announced to recover copper services.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 15-Apr-21 20:15:14
Print Post

Openreach won't need to do anything except keep the copper line service working between the customer home and the other end.

BT retail and other communication providers will stop providing PSTN (analogue voice) over those wires, and will instead provide a low spec data service (64kbps for example) and provide a box to the customer to plug their phone into.

PSTN != Copper.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 15-Apr-21 20:19:48
Print Post

[re: Realalemadrid] [link to this post]

smile
I introduced the FTTP question, (although the OP did mention Gigaclear), because if he doesn't know whether or not he can get FTTC then he presumably doesn't know about FTTP at his location either.

========================
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 15-Apr-21 21:15:47
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by witchunt:
Copper will still be used for ADSL (BT and LLU), FTTC and g.fast , as well as legacy private circuits , for many years yet.
There is quite a bit about the subject in this Ofcom document[/url.

Michael Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 15-Apr-21 21:26:59
Print Post

Another issue is the need for power. If you want broadband you can accept that you will have to provide a power point near your master socket but would you be happy being told you must do this if all you want to do is to continue making phone calls.

Michael Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 15-Apr-21 21:41:54
Print Post

In reply to a post by Realalemadrid:
I fail to understand what FTTP has to do with it, as Robertos has said the customer will still have a copper line so an ADSL broadband service can provide a VOIP telephone as very little bandwidth is required.
Can you provide a link to any documents that show that this will be how telephone services will be provided?

Michael Chare
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 15-Apr-21 21:58:18
Print Post

Can you provide a link to any documents that show that this will be how telephone services will be provided?

https://business.bt.com/insights/digital-transformat...

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 15-Apr-21 21:59:14
Print Post

Another issue is the need for power. If you want broadband you can accept that you will have to provide a power point near your master socket but would you be happy being told you must do this if all you want to do is to continue making phone calls.
I read somewhere that the number of phone calls made on the PSTN had dropped dramatically. I suspect people whom are worried about power cuts will be able to use mobile services.

Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Thu 15-Apr-21 22:15:17
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

What about the 75% "rule"...?

When 75% of the homes and businesses connected to a particular exchange can get Full Fibre you won’t be able to buy our old copper products if Full Fibre is available at your premise, this includes Gfast, Superfast Fibre and Standard Broadband.

Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Thu 15-Apr-21 22:21:01
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
I read somewhere that the number of phone calls made on the PSTN had dropped dramatically. I suspect people whom are worried about power cuts will be able to use mobile services.

Been declining year on year for ages....See old Ofcom report from 2017:

"Our research shows that the volume of mobile calls in the UK has increased steadily in recent years, from 132.1 billion minutes in 2012 to 151.4 billion in 20175, while landline call volumes nearly halved in the same period, falling from 103.1 billion minutes to 53.6 billion."

It's probably declined even further in the intervening four years since that report was published, and will continue as the variety of alternatives abound.

Edit:
https://postimg.cc/Xp9vs6CR

This shows the trend, mobile minutes increasing while fixed landline steadily declining, every year since 2007....section 3.2 of 2020 Market Report

"Fixed call volumes have declined by 76% from 164bn minutes in 2007 to 39bn in 2019, while mobile call volumes have increased 52% from 106bn minutes in 2017 to 161bn minutes in 2019"

Edited by Pheasant (Thu 15-Apr-21 22:43:20)

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 15-Apr-21 22:27:08
Print Post

Many people have mobile phones, and seem happy to accept having to charge them up.

(fountain of knowledge) Thu 15-Apr-21 22:45:35
Print Post

https://business.bt.com/insights/digital-transformat...
Thank you for the link. It says that IP will be used but it does not mention what hardware will be used. Where Openreach have FTTP they will want to use that for telephone only customers. It would be nice to find something where they state what they will do in areas where they don't have an FTTP service but there are altnets.

Michael Chare
Standard User Whitehall11
(regular) Thu 15-Apr-21 22:50:03
Print Post

Like any infrastructure phasing out's, it will take a considerable amount of time to undo the jigsaw and mazes of frankly millions and millions of copper cabling, and as it's been cited already, when the time does come, the recovery costs in a lot of areas will out weigh the actual retrieval.

When PSTN is switched off, it will of been after a large scale switching of landline customers to VOIP Routers such as digital voice that both Sky and BT already offer, and as individuals come to the end of their 12/24 month contracts, they'll most likely be shipped a new router or switching device that will send their landline down the VOIP path via ADSL / FTTC / GFAST / FTTP.

In the case of vulnerable customers, i'm sure BT can provide a HALO Service to these customers free of charge, or other powercut type service (Perhaps a 4G Voice Sim Card?).

EDIT: I assume in the case where FTTC or FTTP is not avaliable, a standard ASDL+ service which will be used, that works on even the most distant copper EO line!

Edited by Whitehall11 (Thu 15-Apr-21 22:51:36)

(fountain of knowledge) Thu 15-Apr-21 23:03:57
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:

Many people have mobile phones, and seem happy to accept having to charge them up.
Well yes, but do Openreach really want to encourage the loss of telephone only customers and there is also the problem that mobile phones need a mobile signal and that is often not as good as one would like.

Michael Chare
Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Thu 15-Apr-21 23:11:20
Print Post

Well yes, but do Openreach really want to encourage the loss of telephone only customers and there is also the problem that mobile phones need a mobile signal and that is often not as good as one would like.

On the first point, Openreach don't want to have anything to do with the physical provision of voice services going forward. Clear evidence of their strategy was the removal of the voice port on their ONTs in 2019.

On the seconds point, perhaps counterintuitively but 'mobile signal' can often be interchanged with WiFi signal (with WiFi Calling and SMSoverWiFi) and the better for it - at least in the home and places like deep-line tube stations.
Standard User Whitehall11
(regular) Thu 15-Apr-21 23:40:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by Pheasant:

On the first point, Openreach don't want to have anything to do with the physical provision of voice services going forward. Clear evidence of their strategy was the removal of the voice port on their ONTs in 2019.

On the seconds point, perhaps counterintuitively but 'mobile signal' can often be interchanged with WiFi signal (with WiFi Calling and SMSoverWiFi) and the better for it - at least in the home and places like deep-line tube stations.

I'd probably throw into the mix here that OR benefit directly from Mobile providers linking into their network anyway, so it's a win-win situation for them really as the times move.

Remove Legacy Tele Kit & Increase subscriber rate for customers
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 15-Apr-21 23:55:20
Print Post

Google has helped me get Wifi calling working on my mobile, I have even found an app that lets me force the phone to use that, which is useful where there is poor mobile signal that the mobile otherwise tries to use.

Michael Chare
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 16-Apr-21 00:41:54
Print Post

Either you have a rather out of date or low-spec phone, or you simply haven't found the requisite setting. With the setting it will automatically switch to your router when available.

You shouldn't need an app to force it. Beware of at best a scam product like ones that offer and charge to find you information that is available free from the underlying source, or at worst, malware that you have given access to loads of stuff on your phone. One from your mobile connection provider will of course be safe.

========================
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 16-Apr-21 06:52:39
Print Post

Google has helped me get Wifi calling working on my mobile, I have even found an app that lets me force the phone to use that, which is useful where there is poor mobile signal that the mobile otherwise tries to use.
With Android depending on the age of the phone the choice it makes between using the WiFi or using the mobile network is often set at time of manufacture. With iPhones this can be changed by the network operator in the configuration bundle that is updated automatically. In 2021 the normal effect is for WiFi calling to only work when mobile signal is very poor.

You can easily force WiFi calling by going to airplane mode, and then turning on WiFi. But remember to reverse this before you leave the home!

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 16-Apr-21 06:53:59
Print Post

Thank you for the link. It says that IP will be used but it does not mention what hardware will be used.
I suspect this is because it will depend on the company you buy your "phone" voice service from. Openreach won't be involved unless they are providing the wires. E.g. with your AltNet you could easily buy from Sipgate, A&A, or any of the VoIP suppliers.

Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Fri 16-Apr-21 07:49:59
Print Post

As per what the others guys have said WiFi Calling should be a seamless experience. The phone should handle it in the background, exactly akin to seamlessly switching between masts. Really it requires no user intervention, other than enabling it from phone settings.

Third party apps are a no no.
Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Fri 16-Apr-21 07:59:06
Print Post

[re: Whitehall11] [link to this post]

Indeed. Openreach are a wholesale service provider to the providers.

Strategically they don’t want to be messing about providing ‘upper layer’ (comms provider) services. Exactly the services their customers - the comms providers are in the business of. Voice service is just another of those services.

That said fixed line is in terminal decline bothe absolute minutes/volumes and revenues - voice has been driven to either mobile or the mega messaging / social media platforms.

None of my kids have used a fixed line phone in their lives practically. Their children will look upon it as a quaint anachronism. If not already.
Standard User witchunt
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 16-Apr-21 09:06:37
Print Post

That just a stop sell of those services. No copper recovery involved
(knowledge is power) Fri 16-Apr-21 11:57:22
Print Post

You can easily force WiFi calling by going to airplane mode, and then turning on WiFi. But remember to reverse this before you leave the home!
I have often seen that claim so I would think that it must be true with some phones. I have tried several times, but on my phone Wifi can't be used for a call in airplane mode even if turned on. I don't like the app but it does work. The phone uses Android One and I get monthly updates so it is a pity that the problem has not been fixed.

Michael Chare
Standard User longedge
(experienced) Fri 16-Apr-21 13:03:11
Print Post

WiFi calling isn't only down to the phone capabilities. I made the mistake of moving to PlusNet mobile which does not support it even though it is resold EE which does. I was previously with Three which also supports it and it was seamless. I now have dead spots around my house frown.

To enable it on my iPhone is just a tick in the box in settings.

plusnet FTTC 55/10
Using a Fritz!Box 7530

Live BQM
(knowledge is power) Fri 16-Apr-21 16:02:17
Print Post

[re: longedge] [link to this post]

There are now a few MVNOs that support Wifi calling. Id Mobile is one.

Michael Chare
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 16-Apr-21 19:35:37
Print Post

I have often seen that claim so I would think that it must be true with some phones. I have tried several times, but on my phone Wifi can't be used for a call in airplane mode even if turned on. I don't like the app but it does work. The phone uses Android One and I get monthly updates so it is a pity that the problem has not been fixed.
It works on my iPhone (on EE) and OnePlus phone (using a Three PAYG SIM). Which mobile network are you using?

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 16-Apr-21 19:38:21
Print Post

[re: longedge] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by longedge:
"even though it is resold EE which does".
Not quite how a virtual network works, sadly. There are 4 physical networks that transmit signal (EE, Vodafone, O2, Three) and then there are lots of virtual networks. Some virtual networks use the mobile signal of a host, but then run their own core (Sky, and Virgin Mobile are the main two that do this, Sky hosted by O2, and Virgin Mobile hosted on Vodafone). Some other virtual networks pay the host to run everything for them, I believe Plusnet is in that category.

To be cheaper, you have to lose features.

Plusnet mobile for example does not have WIFi calling or 4G calling which means calls fall back to 3G or 2G.

Edited by jchamier (Fri 16-Apr-21 19:39:35)

Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Fri 16-Apr-21 19:52:04
Print Post

From the MVNO's Virgin Media, Sky and iD Mobile offer WiFi Calling currently (certain handsets).

Are there any others?
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 16-Apr-21 21:35:09
Print Post

From the MVNO's Virgin Media, Sky and iD Mobile offer WiFi Calling currently (certain handsets).
Are there any others?
Lots are marked ‘coming soon’ on that chart. Otherwise only the physical networks, many of which you need to be on pay-monthly account to get WiFi calling. (From memory I think its only Three and Vodafone that offer WiFi calling on PAYG).

“Coming soon” is good to see, shows even the MVNO’s are aware that indoor coverage is being impacted in new buildings with foil backed insulation making WiFi calling almost essential in modern homes.

Edited by jchamier (Fri 16-Apr-21 21:35:53)

(knowledge is power) Fri 16-Apr-21 22:09:43
Print Post

The phone uses the Vodafone network. The phone is an Xiami MI A2. Wifi calling is not in the regular configuration but can be switched on be entering a long code, as can 4G calling. Wifi calling does work but with the limitation I explained. I used to have a Vodafone Sure Signal device but like all the other ones it died just after 2 years at least it did not explode as some earlier ones did! I tried replacing some of the capacitors but it still did not work. Vodafone are stopping support for the Sure Signal system later this year.

Michael Chare
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 16-Apr-21 22:21:13
Print Post

That is a shame Vodafone didn’t sell you a phone that did Wi-Fi calling properly.

Most networks will stop home devices like SureSignal because the plan is to shut down 3G in the next few years. The networks dislike the home user Femto Cells and are moving everyone to Wi-Fi calling.

(Business systems are different but not normally available at home and a lot more expensive)

Edited by jchamier (Fri 16-Apr-21 22:23:38)

(knowledge is power) Fri 16-Apr-21 23:19:06
Print Post

I have a Vodafone Sim only contract maybe 12 months. The phone itself was bought two years ago from a Hong Kong website. I am glad that the brand of phones are now sold in the UK as that means that any necessary repair is more likely to be possible.

Michael Chare
Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Fri 16-Apr-21 23:28:15
Print Post

Yes the legendary Sure Signal generation 2 and 3 self destruct. Pure Alcatel outsourced garbage. I was into replacement generation three on Sure Signal as I ran them at home, in our home office and out in the sheds where the signal was dire. Folks were known to “swiss cheese” - drill the casing full of holes to keep them cool in a bid to make them last longer. Jeez what trash.

The last replacements (I had 4 spares/replacements in the cupboard) units both abruptly stopped working last month however as calls etc were still fine it was WiFi Calling that had picked up the baton. VF have pretty much withdrawn support for Sure Signal now...really no point even wasting your time calling support.

The future across all networks really is for small biz and domestic black / not spots is WiFi Calling, unless we’re talking leaky coax commercial repeater systems. That’s whole other ball game.

Edited by Pheasant (Fri 16-Apr-21 23:29:10)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 17-Apr-21 10:09:26
Print Post

I have a Vodafone Sim only contract maybe 12 months. The phone itself was bought two years ago from a Hong Kong website.
Use caution importing phones from a different region as you might find you get less coverage (including indoors) as phones designed for one region do not often support all the frequencies used in other regions. OnePlus has regional variations, and even Apple has. Some of the variations include features such as WiFi calling or 4G calling. Its normally a case of buyer beware, its cheaper for a reason.

I am glad that the brand of phones are now sold in the UK as that means that any necessary repair is more likely to be possible.
Maybe, if an imported model is also sold here. Some companies require imported models to be sent back to the region of origin for repair.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 17-Apr-21 10:12:03
Print Post

VF have pretty much withdrawn support for Sure Signal now..
As a colleague found when his failed, they tell you the service is closed. The website is fairly specific too. It did force our enterprise team to get their act together and enable WiFi calling for all users.

Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Sat 17-Apr-21 10:55:42
Print Post

When they worked they were OK. The last batch seemed to last the longest. Not only was the reliability of the devices themselves questionable, but the management portal UX was frankly horrible and issues with things like white listing of allowed IP ranges was frankly unnecessary and made the service even less manageable for end users. To be honest I’m glad to see the back of them.

Edited by Pheasant (Sat 17-Apr-21 10:56:46)

Standard User dect
(knowledge is power) Sat 17-Apr-21 11:20:24
Print Post

I've seen a fair few people buy these imported mobile phones over the years and 100% of them have ended up in the bin within weeks, thats not to say others are not happy with them but I normally suggest buying a lower spec UK model if cost is a major factor.

Edited by dect (Sat 17-Apr-21 11:22:12)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 17-Apr-21 16:04:36
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dect:
I normally suggest buying a lower spec UK model if cost is a major factor.
Good plan, especially to those whom rely on coverage in maybe rural or complex city areas.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 17-Apr-21 16:06:53
Print Post

To be honest I’m glad to see the back of them.
The networks are as well, they were apparently a pain to manage from the radio spectrum direction, one reason why the other 3 main networks didn’t sell them, but only provided to those with major problems. I suspect any still working will be disabled when 3G is turned off on all of the macro networks (Voda, O2, EE, Three).

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 17-Apr-21 22:13:33
Print Post

It works on my iPhone (on EE) and OnePlus phone (using a Three PAYG SIM). Which mobile network are you using?
Which OnePlus phone please? My 8 Pro has the setting and it works, but my brother has a 8 and that doesn't have it. The sick bit being he needs it as his signal is dreadful, and I don't.

========================
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 17-Apr-21 22:46:50
Print Post

I have a OnePlus Nord.
Which SIM / network does your brother use?
An O2 PAYG sim seems to hide the Wi-Fi calling options.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 17-Apr-21 23:38:10
Print Post

Ahhh! He is on O2. I might take one of my spare Three SIMs along when I can go over in the near future. Thanks smile.

What I don't quite understand is how it works for incoming calls. Or doesn't it? Just bi-directional over the net when instigated by him.

Edit! It's a contract though, not PAYG.
Edit2: Makes sense in a way. Letting a PAYG SIM use the home router for calls rather screws the business model of PAYG.

========================

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 17-Apr-21 23:41:07)

Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Sun 18-Apr-21 09:24:28
Print Post

I assume they will keep them as unless you can get FTTP in your area by 2025, then you need a copper cable for ADSL/FTTC etc?
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 18-Apr-21 13:19:53
Print Post

Ahhh! He is on O2. I might take one of my spare Three SIMs along when I can go over in the near future. Thanks smile.
Three was the first to enable WiFi calling (and 4G calling) for PAYG users. I am informed that Vodafone PAYG mostly works now, but EE and O2 may only today be for contract users (including 30day sim only)

O2 is unfortunately the slowest network to update to these technologies. It appears Three are the early adopters, EE are steady and fast moving, Vodafone is trying to get into the same state as EE, and O2 is bringing up the rear.

What I don't quite understand is how it works for incoming calls. Or doesn't it? Just bi-directional over the net when instigated by him.
Its an IPsec connection from the handset to the network. Calls work both ways as the handset keeps the link open (solves the inbound NAT complexity). Don't do as I did and turn off "IPsec PassThru" in my Asus router and wonder why WiFi calling wasn't working. not many routers have that option.

Edit! It's a contract though, not PAYG.
Then it could depend on the handset. Three and EE support more handsets than the other two today, but this is changing fast as Android upgrades.

Edit2: Makes sense in a way. Letting a PAYG SIM use the home router for calls rather screws the business model of PAYG.
nope, you STILL pay from credit, or bundle, when using WiFi calling. It literally replaces the signal, the billing is identical to using the macro network.

Think of WiFi calling as a Femto Cell built into your handset (e.g. Vodafone SureSignal).

I can see a lot of this changing by the end of 2021 as 3G gets reduced and withdrawn in favour of 4G on the same frequencies.

https://www.o2.co.uk/connectivity/wifi-and-4g-calling

(knowledge is power) Sun 18-Apr-21 17:28:22
Print Post

In the case of Vodafone, my Sim only account has an option which covers both Wifi calling and 4G calling. The option can be On or Off.

Michael Chare
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 18-Apr-21 17:40:24
Print Post

In the case of Vodafone, my Sim only account has an option which covers both Wifi calling and 4G calling. The option can be On or Off.
I am surprised that there is a setting in the Vodafone website, with other networks there is no need for a website setting.

Standard User j0hn83
(knowledge is power) Mon 19-Apr-21 12:01:33
Print Post

What about the 75% "rule"...?

When 75% of the homes and businesses connected to a particular exchange can get Full Fibre you won’t be able to buy our old copper products if Full Fibre is available at your premise, this includes Gfast, Superfast Fibre and Standard Broadband.

The 75% rule only applies to properties who have FTTP available.

When an exchange hits 75% FTTP coverage OpenReach start the process.
They will announce a stop sell of copper services (to start in say 12 months time).
They will enforce a "no go back" to copper policy for anyone already on FTTP.

Anyone on that exchange without FTTP is unaffected and will still need to use copper.

It makes little financial sense to recovery copper until all copper can be recovered.
The large copper spine bundles with the bulk of the value need left in situ until every single pair in the bundle is redundant, which won't be until there's full FTTP coverage in that particular area.
Standard User j0hn83
(knowledge is power) Mon 19-Apr-21 12:13:11
Print Post

Thank you for the link. It says that IP will be used but it does not mention what hardware will be used. Where Openreach have FTTP they will want to use that for telephone only customers. It would be nice to find something where they state what they will do in areas where they don't have an FTTP service but there are altnets.

After the PSTN switch off, if there's no FTTP available then voice will be provided via VOIP.

OpenReach will sell the ISP a low bandwidth data service for VOIP only (0.5Mb/0.5Mb I believe?).

So if you wanted to buy a voice service from BT after the PSTN switch off then BT would send you a BT Smart Hub 2.
It has a built in ADSL and VDSL2 modem. It will sync at the low bandwidth level mentioned above.
You would then connect your telephone to the voice port on the BT Hub.

It will be up to the ISP to provide a modem/router with an integrated ATA port for voice.

It's how they do voice only services now in FTTP only new builds. They simply use an ONT instead of a modem.

How voice will be provided after PSTN switch off will be irrelevant if there is an Alt-Net present or not.
(knowledge is power) Mon 19-Apr-21 12:32:19
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by j0hn83:
After the PSTN switch off, if there's no FTTP available then voice will be provided via VOIP.

OpenReach will sell the ISP a low bandwidth data service for VOIP only (0.5Mb/0.5Mb I believe?).

So if you wanted to buy a voice service from BT after the PSTN switch off then BT would send you a BT Smart Hub 2.
It has a built in ADSL and VDSL2 modem. It will sync at the low bandwidth level mentioned above.
You would then connect your telephone to the voice port on the BT Hub.

It will be up to the ISP to provide a modem/router with an integrated ATA port for voice.

It's how they do voice only services now in FTTP only new builds. They simply use an ONT instead of a modem.

How voice will be provided after PSTN switch off will be irrelevant if there is an Alt-Net present or not.
Where do you get this information from? Can you provide a link to an official document that states that this will be the case?

Michael Chare
Standard User j0hn83
(knowledge is power) Mon 19-Apr-21 13:34:57
Print Post

Where do you get this information from? Can you provide a link to an official document that states that this will be the case?

Nope. That's definitely how it's going though.

I can't find a document with all that explained in a single easy to understand way, but there have been many news articles explaining the process.

It's how things are already done on FTTP.
If you want a voice service from BT and you have FTTP with no copper (so no PSTN) then they provide a BT Smart Hub 2, which connects to an ONT.
You connect your phone to the Smarthub.

OpenReach didn't actually release the 0.5Mb FTTP product and pricing until it went live when FVA was withdrawn.
FVA was how OpenReach used to sell voice on FTTP.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2020/02/openre...

For anyone who does not have access to a fibre service and wishes to take a voice service OpenReach will provide SOTAP.

https://www.openreach.co.uk/cpportal/products/copper...

https://www.openreach.co.uk/cpportal/content/dam/cpp...

There's a good article on ISPReview explaining the PSTN switch off and the various OpenReach products that replace their old voice products.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2020/03/openre...

Voice will be provided the same way for customers who take a bundled broadband+voice service or just a voice service.

Edited by j0hn83 (Mon 19-Apr-21 13:35:37)

Standard User Realalemadrid
(committed) Mon 19-Apr-21 14:45:05
Print Post

You have asked this question before on 15th April, now that John83 and others have provided ample evidence that a telephone service will be provided by VOIP over fibre or copper can you now accept that this is what will happen.
(knowledge is power) Mon 19-Apr-21 15:11:20
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

Thank you very much for the links. It will be interesting to see how well the project progresses.

Michael Chare
(knowledge is power) Mon 19-Apr-21 19:30:46
Print Post

In reply to a post by Realalemadrid:
You have asked this question before on 15th April, now that John83 and others have provided ample evidence that a telephone service will be provided by VOIP over fibre or copper can you now accept that this is what will happen.
I was amused to notice that the Openreach announcement about the SOTAP product was also dated 15th April.

Michael Chare
Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Tue 20-Apr-21 08:32:09
Print Post

So fresh the ink still hasn’t dried on the spec yet! 😎 Still 16 away months from launch....

Edited by Pheasant (Tue 20-Apr-21 08:33:15)

Standard User TheBaron
(knowledge is power) Wed 28-Apr-21 18:14:12
Print Post

In my industry we use copper wires (Wholesale Line Rental - WLR) to communicate with monitoring kit and to adjust gas pressures.

We are preparing for all these lines to be withdrawn by 2025 and to be replaced with Mobile Data/Solar power/Batteries (we used the power in the lines for modems etc)

Its too expensive to get fibre (and power) installed at thousands of sites

I like pigs.
Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.
Sir Winston Churchill
Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Wed 28-Apr-21 18:44:30
Print Post

[re: TheBaron] [link to this post]

What's your mobile data solution? Are you going LPWAN (ZigBee, LoRa, Sigfox) or LTE?
Standard User TheBaron
(knowledge is power) Wed 28-Apr-21 18:50:15
Print Post

'Standard' Mobile GSM I think. Sites are scattered far and wide. They don't communicate to each other but to a central hub which records pressures and readings and sends setting instructions.

Edit, so LTE then

I like pigs.
Sir Winston Churchill

Edited by TheBaron (Wed 28-Apr-21 18:50:54)

Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Wed 28-Apr-21 18:58:37
Print Post

Thanks. That's interesting. I'm rolling out a similar setup on a project that runs mostly on solar, because of which the power budget is relatively tight. We've also opted to run LTE (mostly because we need more bursty bandwidth for remote maintenance). The total power budget under 5 watts. The LTE modem uses a smidge over 0.7W on average.
Standard User TheBaron
(knowledge is power) Wed 28-Apr-21 20:20:24
Print Post

I don't know the engineering specs (I'm the accountant) but looks like a Cello modem and technolog solar panel. Good Luck with your project.

I like pigs.
Sir Winston Churchill
Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Wed 28-Apr-21 20:56:40
Print Post

Thanks and likewise good luck with your project
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to