General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Deft
(experienced) Wed 21-Apr-21 09:24:28
Print Post

Re: General house moving query - best approach for new order

[re: broadbandjockey] [link to this post]

I suspect I am massively overthinking this. As in, my mum just needs to choose a provider and get the ball rolling as soon as she has a completion date. This must be a common scenario that our wonderful telecoms industry is adept at getting right.
Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Wed 21-Apr-21 09:32:06
Print Post

[re: Deft] [link to this post]

Do as suggested and ask Plusnet to arrange a move rather than an outright cancellation (presuming she’s happy with the service). That will be the the most painless. If the purchase falls thorough, she can cancel the service.
Standard User Woolwich
(experienced) Wed 21-Apr-21 09:46:57
Print Post

In reply to a post by Deft:
Does it make a difference how the person who is leaving a house "finishes" their phone/broadband? If they fully cancel (line ceased?) then it takes longer for the new occupier to get going?

My experience suggests its better the previous owner has cancelled / ceased their phone service completely.

I moved into a flat with a working FTTC service on the previous people's account. It was due to be ceased in a few days. I ordered FTTC via Zen, they couldn't move the order on until the line ceased. Then it was another two weeks for Openreach to get their finger out (and then they screwed up the connection...).

So you're best if there is no active line. There's always a two week lead time before Openreach do anything.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User j0hn83
(knowledge is power) Wed 21-Apr-21 11:33:58
Print Post

In reply to a post by Deft:
So my final pondering:
Does it make a difference how the person who is leaving a house "finishes" their phone/broadband? If they fully cancel (line ceased?) then it takes longer for the new occupier to get going? Is there some better mechanism for ensuring minimal downtime, and how much coordination does this require from the person leaving.

Yes, it does.

There would be no downtime if you could arrange what is called a working line takeover.
That can be up and running the same day and not 10 days later.

It requires the current owner of the line to NOT cease it.

I'm not sure on the exact process or if it affects the current occupier/owner from retaining their current landline number.

Edited by j0hn83 (Wed 21-Apr-21 11:37:29)

Standard User longedge
(experienced) Wed 21-Apr-21 11:37:58
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

"That can be up and running the same day"

As was the case when my daughter moved. All done and dusted with one phone call and f.o.c.

plusnet FTTC 55/10
Using a Fritz!Box 7530

Live BQM
Standard User Woolwich
(experienced) Wed 21-Apr-21 13:00:37
Print Post

In reply to a post by j0hn83:
There would be no downtime if you could arrange what is called a working line takeover.

Do you just get a working phone line, do you still need to wait the requisite fortnight for FTTC?
Standard User j0hn83
(knowledge is power) Wed 21-Apr-21 13:09:51
Print Post

[re: Woolwich] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Woolwich:

Do you just get a working phone line, do you still need to wait the requisite fortnight for FTTC?

You can continue the broadband service.

It's particularly helpful if an FTTC cabinet is full and on a waiting list as you would keep the active port on the cabinet
Standard User Woolwich
(experienced) Wed 21-Apr-21 13:12:32
Print Post

You can continue the broadband service.

It's particularly helpful if an FTTC cabinet is full and on a waiting list as you would keep the active port on the cabinet

I was unlucky then, the previous person had asked the line to be ceased so I had to wait for that and then another couple of weeks for FTTC. But I was lucky the cabinet wasn't full!
Standard User MercuryRH2
(learned) Wed 21-Apr-21 14:57:05
Print Post

[re: broadbandjockey] [link to this post]

I 5hink the issue was found to be down to the fact there were three records against the same address. One with no kit, a second showing a ‘Silver’ install (might or might not be a line) and the third with a ‘Gold’ install - which was the only correct one - which had all the kit. BT and OR said it had a ‘hard cease’ (whatever that means) so needed an engineer visit to set it all up. The appointment was made, no one from OR turned up, job marked as complete and working........except it wasn’t and didn’t as no dial tone and wouldn’t connect or ring...... so took another three days to get sorted due to a line fault

Because we did not know the old phone number Zen could not order against that line and BT/OR would not give details.

If the existing l8ne data is known (and there aren’t multiple rubbish records for the line) I would have expected it to be very simple.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 21-Apr-21 18:35:19
Print Post

I have considerable doubts about that, given that when there is a waiting list you the current user of that line cannot even migrate to a different provider, as the Openreach migration places an internal stop order and a start order, but the waiting list takes priority for use of the newly freed port.

Signing up to the provider of the existing connection doesn't sound like a runner either to me.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
The EU’s multiple failures are due to a deeper malaise .... What malaise? The EU’s formidable immunity to the smallest amount of democracy. New Statesman Feb 2021.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to