General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Deft
(experienced) Mon 19-Apr-21 21:23:22
Print Post

General house moving query - best approach for new order?

[link to this post]

My mum is moving home, but has at least a few weeks between leaving one property and moving into her new one. So, she will be ceasing her current phone / broadband (Plusnet).
Once she has exchanged on the new property (i.e. it's more certain she will move in, plus likely to have a completion date) - what's the best way to pre-emptively get a new service set-up? Any tricks or things to look out for? Can she order weeks in advance with simply her new address but state a certain go-live date? Or at least get things reasonably close. It will be standard phone and FTTC type deal. I'm with Zen so might try managing it for her (or at least under my main Zen account).
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 20-Apr-21 02:12:30
Print Post

Re: General house moving query - best approach for new order

[re: Deft] [link to this post]

Is she unhappy with Plusnet? I thought they did house moves.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
The EU’s multiple failures are due to a deeper malaise .... What malaise? The EU’s formidable immunity to the smallest amount of democracy. New Statesman Feb 2021.
Standard User Deft
(experienced) Tue 20-Apr-21 06:29:58
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

She's in the fun position of having sold her property, moving out in the next few days, but not exchanged on the other, and unlikely to in the next 3-4 weeks. Potentially the new house could fall through, so can't really plan for new services until she exchanges on a new place.
Not sure whether Plusnet could have done a house move in these circumstances, but she has cancelled her services on moving out day.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User longedge
(experienced) Tue 20-Apr-21 08:10:36
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

They do and when my daughter moved house the transfer went very smoothly and without any cost. There was a pre-existing line at the house she moved to.

If it were me, I would ring PlusNet and ask their advice. I would have thought that they could easily hold a transfer in abeyance.

p.s. - ahh.. "cancelled her services" perhaps that means she has already been in touch with PlusNet and cancelled.

plusnet FTTC 55/10
Using a Fritz!Box 7530

Live BQM

Edited by longedge (Tue 20-Apr-21 08:14:59)

Standard User broadbandjockey
(committed) Tue 20-Apr-21 08:44:20
Print Post

[re: longedge] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by longedge:
They do and when my daughter moved house the transfer went very smoothly and without any cost. There was a pre-existing line at the house she moved to.

If it were me, I would ring PlusNet and ask their advice. I would have thought that they could easily hold a transfer in abeyance.

p.s. - ahh.. "cancelled her services" perhaps that means she has already been in touch with PlusNet and cancelled.

My mother in law moved a few years ago. There was gap of about a month, because BT-OR hadn't cabled up the new flat when she moved in. No problem, Plusnet held her number in 'limbo' for that month. She applied (well, I did for her) when she exchanged contracts, so a total duration from order to fulfilment of 6 weeks.
Standard User Deft
(experienced) Tue 20-Apr-21 12:20:04
Print Post

[re: broadbandjockey] [link to this post]

Yes, it seems the cancellation has been arranged, but she wasn't bothered about retaining the number anyway - has not had her phone plugged in for years.
I'm making the assumption that there is a working copper line going into her potential new house. It's not a new build and shows up on the availability checker by address, FTTC 70Mbit or thereabouts. So I guess we just choose a new provider once we have a definite moving in date and see how well they can coordinate getting up and running.
Standard User MercuryRH2
(learned) Tue 20-Apr-21 13:09:47
Print Post

My parents just moved house and have remained with Zen. Their new property had a line but it had been ceased following the death of the previous owner and so needed reactivating (by BT/OR). Zen could not place an order until the line had been reactivated and then their standard process (10-15 days) was followed. Because the service could not be migrated within three days their account was also closed and a new one created once the line was active.

Zen were good as their word and everything happened more or less seamlessly with a new router and account (that I now manage for them). All it took was a couple of emails and simple phone calls. Job done.

BT/OR on the other hand we’re an absolute disaster leading to messed up orders, a line terminated when it shouldn’t have been and needing reinstating and their own database having three different records for the same address of which two were completely wrong and caused job cancellations & failures. OR wouldn’t tell BT what the problem was either, just the job ‘failed’.

BT didn’t want to know about initiating the move unless it was within two weeks. It’s all sorted now but I spent hours and hours on the phone to BT trying to sort the mess out. We got there in the end, but oh dear, what a mess.

Edited by MercuryRH2 (Tue 20-Apr-21 13:11:26)

Standard User Deft
(experienced) Tue 20-Apr-21 14:08:00
Print Post

[re: MercuryRH2] [link to this post]

Yeah I am bit apprehensive, hence this post. I'm also not clear whether decisions by the previous owner on their services will have any influence on getting things moving. I get the sense that my mum will have a few weeks between exchange and completion, so in a perfect world I'd like her to move in on day 1 with a functioning copper broadband connection - especially as she's 100 miles away and I'll likely be visiting to help check / set up her router etc!
Standard User Deft
(experienced) Wed 21-Apr-21 07:29:02
Print Post

So my final pondering:
Does it make a difference how the person who is leaving a house "finishes" their phone/broadband? If they fully cancel (line ceased?) then it takes longer for the new occupier to get going? Is there some better mechanism for ensuring minimal downtime, and how much coordination does this require from the person leaving. The house purchase has become mildly aggravating so not sure my mum will want to engage massively over getting the seller to do something sensible with their phone/broadband service.
Standard User broadbandjockey
(committed) Wed 21-Apr-21 08:26:40
Print Post

[re: MercuryRH2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MercuryRH2:
My parents just moved house and have remained with Zen. Their new property had a line but it had been ceased following the death of the previous owner and so needed reactivating (by BT/OR). Zen could not place an order until the line had been reactivated and then their standard process (10-15 days) was followed.

That's interesting. I moved last year, to a house that had had the line disconnected two years before. I was able to place a house move order with Plusnet a month before the 'move in' date. In fact the only 'umm/err' from Plusnet was whether BTOR would have anybody available (even with that notice) to perform the activation because of Covid. In the end they did (or rather it was someone from Kelly Coms)
Standard User Deft
(experienced) Wed 21-Apr-21 09:24:28
Print Post

I suspect I am massively overthinking this. As in, my mum just needs to choose a provider and get the ball rolling as soon as she has a completion date. This must be a common scenario that our wonderful telecoms industry is adept at getting right.
Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Wed 21-Apr-21 09:32:06
Print Post

Do as suggested and ask Plusnet to arrange a move rather than an outright cancellation (presuming she’s happy with the service). That will be the the most painless. If the purchase falls thorough, she can cancel the service.
Standard User Woolwich
(experienced) Wed 21-Apr-21 09:46:57
Print Post

In reply to a post by Deft:
Does it make a difference how the person who is leaving a house "finishes" their phone/broadband? If they fully cancel (line ceased?) then it takes longer for the new occupier to get going?

My experience suggests its better the previous owner has cancelled / ceased their phone service completely.

I moved into a flat with a working FTTC service on the previous people's account. It was due to be ceased in a few days. I ordered FTTC via Zen, they couldn't move the order on until the line ceased. Then it was another two weeks for Openreach to get their finger out (and then they screwed up the connection...).

So you're best if there is no active line. There's always a two week lead time before Openreach do anything.
Standard User j0hn83
(knowledge is power) Wed 21-Apr-21 11:33:58
Print Post

In reply to a post by Deft:
So my final pondering:
Does it make a difference how the person who is leaving a house "finishes" their phone/broadband? If they fully cancel (line ceased?) then it takes longer for the new occupier to get going? Is there some better mechanism for ensuring minimal downtime, and how much coordination does this require from the person leaving.

Yes, it does.

There would be no downtime if you could arrange what is called a working line takeover.
That can be up and running the same day and not 10 days later.

It requires the current owner of the line to NOT cease it.

I'm not sure on the exact process or if it affects the current occupier/owner from retaining their current landline number.

Edited by j0hn83 (Wed 21-Apr-21 11:37:29)

Standard User longedge
(experienced) Wed 21-Apr-21 11:37:58
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

"That can be up and running the same day"

As was the case when my daughter moved. All done and dusted with one phone call and f.o.c.

plusnet FTTC 55/10
Using a Fritz!Box 7530

Live BQM
Standard User Woolwich
(experienced) Wed 21-Apr-21 13:00:37
Print Post

In reply to a post by j0hn83:
There would be no downtime if you could arrange what is called a working line takeover.

Do you just get a working phone line, do you still need to wait the requisite fortnight for FTTC?
Standard User j0hn83
(knowledge is power) Wed 21-Apr-21 13:09:51
Print Post

[re: Woolwich] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Woolwich:

Do you just get a working phone line, do you still need to wait the requisite fortnight for FTTC?

You can continue the broadband service.

It's particularly helpful if an FTTC cabinet is full and on a waiting list as you would keep the active port on the cabinet
Standard User Woolwich
(experienced) Wed 21-Apr-21 13:12:32
Print Post

You can continue the broadband service.

It's particularly helpful if an FTTC cabinet is full and on a waiting list as you would keep the active port on the cabinet

I was unlucky then, the previous person had asked the line to be ceased so I had to wait for that and then another couple of weeks for FTTC. But I was lucky the cabinet wasn't full!
Standard User MercuryRH2
(learned) Wed 21-Apr-21 14:57:05
Print Post

I 5hink the issue was found to be down to the fact there were three records against the same address. One with no kit, a second showing a ‘Silver’ install (might or might not be a line) and the third with a ‘Gold’ install - which was the only correct one - which had all the kit. BT and OR said it had a ‘hard cease’ (whatever that means) so needed an engineer visit to set it all up. The appointment was made, no one from OR turned up, job marked as complete and working........except it wasn’t and didn’t as no dial tone and wouldn’t connect or ring...... so took another three days to get sorted due to a line fault

Because we did not know the old phone number Zen could not order against that line and BT/OR would not give details.

If the existing l8ne data is known (and there aren’t multiple rubbish records for the line) I would have expected it to be very simple.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 21-Apr-21 18:35:19
Print Post

I have considerable doubts about that, given that when there is a waiting list you the current user of that line cannot even migrate to a different provider, as the Openreach migration places an internal stop order and a start order, but the waiting list takes priority for use of the newly freed port.

Signing up to the provider of the existing connection doesn't sound like a runner either to me.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
The EU’s multiple failures are due to a deeper malaise .... What malaise? The EU’s formidable immunity to the smallest amount of democracy. New Statesman Feb 2021.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to