General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User farrinaf
(learned) Thu 22-Apr-21 10:08:56
Print Post

Wiring BT Master Socket NTE5c MK2 & VDSL/ADSL MK4 faceplate

[link to this post]

May I pick the learned collective brains as regards BT Master Sockets - I believe its a NTE5c MK2 and with the lower faceplate removed looks like this

** amended later **

(Original direct image link replaced with source webpage link - see further comments below re “hot linking” and blocking)

https://telecomgreen.co.uk/home-phone-repair/bt-open...

In preparation for the installation of FTTC I have purchased a VDSL/ADSL Faceplate MK4 which replaces the phone only socket (at the expense of covering the whole face of the master) and provides an RJ11 data and normal BT voice socket options.

On the reverse of the MK4 faceplate there is an A/B cam socket and I understand that this can be used to take a hardwired (filtered) broadband signal directly to a modem/router. Using my multimeter I can see 50v across these A/B terminals (which I believe is expected).

Could anyone confirm for VDSL purposes that I need to wire A/B to pins 3/4 on an RJ11 into the modem (Vigor 130)

On the front of the lower Master Socket (remember the faceplate has been removed) as per above photograph there is another cam type connection showing pins 5/3/2 which I believe is for hard wiring an internal telephone extension (ie voice).

I have hardwired (pins 5/2) to an RJ11 socket (again pins 5/2) but I am not getting any dial tone and there is no voltage across any of the socket's connections (5/3/2). I am wondering whether this is indicative of a fault with the master socket or am I being somewhat ham-fisted with my wiring?

Thanks in anticipation for any help.

Edited by farrinaf (Thu 22-Apr-21 13:16:07)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 22-Apr-21 11:01:31
Print Post

Re: Wiring BT Master Socket NTE5c MK2 & VDSL/ADSL MK4 facepl

[re: farrinaf] [link to this post]

The AB terminals are UNFILTERED and they are used to take a signal to another socket NOT direct to a modem.

To connect to the modem, using a patch lead from the data socket, or if a data extension is used, from that socket.

Why are you using an RJ11 for voice? It should be a standard BT socket. Yes it should be 5 & 2 as a minimum, and if nothing works when plugged in it is likely to be your wiring.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 22-Apr-21 11:40:14
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Safari on my iPad won't let me view the OP's link, saying it is Hotlinked. Which I had to Google.

It sounds dodgy.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
The EU’s multiple failures are due to a deeper malaise .... What malaise? The EU’s formidable immunity to the smallest amount of democracy. New Statesman Feb 2021.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 22-Apr-21 12:01:59
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

The OP has been around for a while - nothing suspicious though.

M H C

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 22-Apr-21 13:01:28
Print Post

I don't really suspect the OP, but it's still odd.

My Win10 laptop and Chrome do it as well. Neither machine will let me proceed. Exactly the same banner message, not from any third party internet security system, which are always labelled.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
The EU’s multiple failures are due to a deeper malaise .... What malaise? The EU’s formidable immunity to the smallest amount of democracy. New Statesman Feb 2021.
Standard User farrinaf
(learned) Thu 22-Apr-21 13:06:59
Print Post

I had linked directly to the image source from a webpage, which seems to have caused a bit of an issue.

Have amended my original post above to reflect this

The original page is here

https://telecomgreen.co.uk/home-phone-repair/bt-open...

Therein the image is also shown as hotlinked. I can only assume the site owner (or more likely the host) doesn’t like direct links.

Thanks for the general input so far, which I shall ponder, before reverting back for any further clarifications.

Cheers

Added Later I think its a wordpress site, more here

https://themeisle.com/blog/prevent-image-hotlinking-...

Edited by farrinaf (Thu 22-Apr-21 13:16:47)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 22-Apr-21 13:36:32
Print Post

That links OK smile. Incidentally, the Hotlink message I'm getting is the picture after the "insides" one smile.

What's wrong with simply using the sockets on the faceplate? Hard-wiring modems or phones is very unusual.

Also:
On the reverse of the MK4 faceplate there is an A/B cam socket and I understand that this can be used to take a hardwired (filtered) broadband signal directly to a modem/router. Using my multimeter I can see 50v across these A/B terminals (which I believe is expected).
Don't you mean the connections on the NTE5, not the back of the faceplate?

As MHC says, the A/B terminals are to take the unfiltered signal to a remote socket. Bear in mind that if only a modem or modem/router is connected to such a socket then no filter is needed. Modems filter out all the ones they aren't built for anyway.

========================
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 22-Apr-21 15:46:44
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I don't really suspect the OP, but it's still odd.
The third party website has been configured to stop people linking directly to their pictures and instead show a different picture which contains the no entry symbol!

This is an attempt to stop their pictures being used on other websites. If you load the original page that includes the pictures, they load correctly.

This is a copyright protection measure happening wholly on the remote website, nothing different on your computer/tablet/phone. Its unusual to see this today, most paranoid sites would just force a reload of their homepage, or maybe the blog page containing the text and images.

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 22-Apr-21 16:08:08
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Thanks James.

========================
Standard User farrinaf
(learned) Sun 25-Apr-21 15:45:55
Print Post

Just to clarify (or bizarrely answer one of my own questions) which was

On the front of the lower Master Socket (remember the faceplate has been removed) as per above photograph there is another cam type connection showing pins 5/3/2 which I believe is for hard wiring an internal telephone extension (ie voice). I have hardwired (pins 5/2) to an RJ11 socket (again pins 5/2) but I am not getting any dial tone and there is no voltage across any of the socket's connections (5/3/2).

The explanation is whilst the front face plate is removed from the 5C this cam connection is in a disconnected state . Logical when you belatedly think about it as when testing the line via the master socket you would want all extensions disconnected from the circuit – DOH!

The reason I want to hardwire from the AB connectors on the back of the Mk4 socket (rather than use the RJ11 data out on the front) is the modem is about 40 feet away and I want to use “proper” twisted four core cable and not the thin flat stuff normally associated with RJ11 plugs.

My current (amended) intention is to use the standard front BT socket on the MK4 for taking a voice feed and the AB socket on the reverse of the MK4 for the modem. If my understanding is correct the MK4 socket will have done its job and separated the broadband/voice frequencies at the master socket so no other filters should be required.

I cannot use the 5/3/2 output cam on the actual 5C master socket as this is before any filtering and would require me to introduce additional filters on the voice circuit.

Go live day is Thursday next - wish me luck (when my hypothesis is shot down in flames!)
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Sun 25-Apr-21 17:36:44
Print Post

The NTE5C voice extension terminals will be filtered when a Mk4 faceplate is fitted and isolated when the Mk4 faceplate is removed - it's an ingenious yet somewhat counter intuitive design smile

Be sure to use cw1308 twisted pair or 100% copper cat5e cable for your proposed (?) data extension, i.e. hardwired on the faceplate's A&B terminals to a rj11 plug. Generally speaking, a data extension terminated to a dedicated rj11 socket would be preferable.

Good luck.

Edited by 4M2 (Sun 25-Apr-21 17:37:49)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 25-Apr-21 19:08:32
Print Post

As per 4M2's reply to your latest post, adding that 4-core cable is pointless as by definition only two cores are used from the A/B connector. smile

Oh - and. AIUI you didn't need the replacement faceplate. The unfiltered A/B connectors are surely in the wall box?

========================

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 25-Apr-21 19:12:35)

Standard User Realalemadrid
(committed) Sun 25-Apr-21 21:55:33
Print Post

I believe the OP wants a filtered connection for voice and an unfiltered connection for a modem/ router so 4 cores i.e. 2 pairs are required.

As 4M2 says the 5 3 2 extension output is filtered so is used for the voice extension.

I guess the reason for using the A/B connector on the back of the faceplate for the broadband extension is to disconnect the extension for testing when the faceplate is removed.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 26-Apr-21 00:16:24
Print Post

[re: Realalemadrid] [link to this post]

See this post. As I read it he is putting the phone at the master socket.

As an additional point, the socket he installs at the modem end would be better as a filtered extension socket such as the preferred size of these. That solves both the problem of a phone at the modem end later if desired, and supplying the correct DSL socket for a standard modem cable.

Still only a twin-core cable.

========================
Standard User jabuzzard
(experienced) Mon 26-Apr-21 00:21:31
Print Post

In reply to a post by farrinaf:
The reason I want to hardwire from the AB connectors on the back of the Mk4 socket (rather than use the RJ11 data out on the front) is the modem is about 40 feet away and I want to use “proper” twisted four core cable and not the thin flat stuff normally associated with RJ11 plugs.

Personally I would site the Vigor 130 as close as possible to the NTE5 run some Cat5e or better to your router and use PoE with a splitter to power the Vigor. Unless you happen to live close to the cabinet and are going to get a solid 80/20 you want as little extra wire as possible between the modem and the cabinet till the conversion to ethernet.

You would also be future proofed for the day they NTE5 gets ripped out and replaced with an ONT smile
Standard User Realalemadrid
(committed) Mon 26-Apr-21 08:06:39
Print Post

I am not totally sure of the requirements but I think that the voice and modem will be at an extension, however the main confusion is that the OP seems to be mixed up about the functions of the camlock connections on the master and faceplate, as in which are filtered or unfiltered.

In the opening post "On the reverse of the MK4 faceplate there is an A/B cam socket and I understand that this can be used to take a hardwired (filtered) broadband signal directly to a modem/router"

In a reply to you at 15:45 "I cannot use the 5/3/2 output cam on the actual 5C master socket as this is before any filtering and would require me to introduce additional filters on the voice circuit ."

Various posters have corrected these misunderstandings and I agree that a filtered extension socket would be an acceptable solution, however if the OP does not want any filter at the extension then a 2 pair lead would be required.

Edited by Realalemadrid (Mon 26-Apr-21 08:11:57)

Standard User farrinaf
(learned) Mon 26-Apr-21 10:11:31
Print Post

[re: Realalemadrid] [link to this post]

## Note – I have summarised my understanding at the foot of this post in case anyone subsequently coming across this tread just wants the solution and not the journey! ##

Many thanks for the further helpful and constructive responses, particularly from 4M2 - I would never have "clocked" that the C5 5/3/2 extension terminals were retrospectively filtered by the fitment of a front MK4 data socket - as you say very "counter intuitive"!

I am using solid copper wires (four core twisted) so hopefully this will have minimal effect on line quality. Am intending to use a RJ11 socket to terminate the data extension at the modem end (I believe I need to wire pins 3&4 of 6 for modem data connection).

The spare copper twisted pair are there with an eye to the future in case of need (if ultimately forced down the VOIP route) to take a phone feed back from router to current master socket located phone.

Just to provide some further clarification/background.

The setup is at my octogenarian mothers home – change is never welcomed, so the less the better!

Previously (owing to her having a fixed 3 year BT Home Phone Saver type contract with severe early termination penalties) once she belatedly discovered an internet need I created a rather expensive solution based upon a Three 4G Unlimited data SIM. Now that her fixed BT contract has expired its time to move on (both from a cost and latency point of view)

She is in a FTTP enabled area, but ultimately I decided to go down the FTTC route for the following reasons;

Easier to route cabling from front of house to rear (under carpet). No power near existing entrance point so ONT location would be messy, would also require long thicker Ethernet cable run to router.

Potential loss of 1471 service if forced to a VOIP telephony based solution (she is a creature of habit) Also if VOIP the need for a UPS to cover power loss.

Cost - FTTC is currently cheaper than FTTP (we are going with Zen, so supposedly fixed rate) I loathe the BT/Plusnet 3.9% + CPR type “in contract” price rises. When you factor this in, I don’t think Zen are bad value – especially given their better support ratings and supplied quality Fritzbox 7530 router. (I have also gone Zen for this reason - albeit FTTP)

Happily her FTTC cabinet is very close, probably under 120m away, so speeds should be more than acceptable (to provide an idea the BT Openreach checker suggests (VDSL Range B Impacted) i.e. worst case a downstream hand back threshold of 53.5Mbps

RobertoS - there is a phone located at the master socket, but there is also an extension phone hence why (for neatness) I also wanted to use the 5/3/2 cam connector terminals on the front of the 5C (which happily I now can following 4M2's clarification as to the presence of filtering – I realise I could have fitted a stand-alone filter at the other end but it would become messy).

I note your point as regards the A/B connections on the master - at the risk of teaching you how to "suck the proverbial egg", the BT 5C Master socket has a cam type A/B terminal connectors on its reverse for the use of the BT engineer wiring in the exchange line, but there are also A/B cam connector terminals on the reverse of the MK4 faceplate. The former A/B I did not want to touch as its on BT's side of the demarcation line.

Thanks to all for this helpful input, things are falling nicely into place - hopefully full speed ahead come go live on Thursday (29th) just need to chase Zen for details of fixed IP and connection password.

## Summary Below ##

Finally for anyone coming across this thread and in the same position I was a week ago to summarise (hopefully I have this correct!)

Picture of the 5C Master Socket with Mk4 front plate here

Picture of the A/B terminal on reverse of Mk4 front plate here

I purchased my 5C and MK4 faceplate from Amazon here (Mods if this is not permitted apologies and please remove)

The standard BT 5C socket has a A/B terminal cam type connector on its reverse which is for the use of the BT Engineer to connect the incoming exchange line. This should not be touched by the consumer as its on the BT side of the connection.

On the front of the 5C socket (once any lower face plate is removed) are 5/3/2 cam type extension terminals. These are NOT live when the lower face plate (or retrofitted MK4 data/voice faceplate if fitted) is removed.

If (because you have a VDSL connection) you fit a MK4 data/voice faceplate onto the front of the 5C (you will need to remove any existing standard BT lower connector socket first) the 5/3/2 extension cam terminals on the 5C will become filtered so can be used for voice extensions without the need to any further filtering on the voice side. Do not use for data!

On the reverse of the Mk4 data/voice faceplate there are A/B cam type connector terminals which are unfiltered and can be used as an output to a modem for VDSL. Do not simultaneously wire any voice extensions to this connection as otherwise the voice extensions will require additional separate filters.

Finally obviously there are socket outputs for RJ11 (Data) and standard BT phone on the front of the MK4 data/voice faceplate which can be used as labelled.
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Mon 26-Apr-21 17:17:34
Print Post

Looks like you will achieve a very successful voice and data setup - personally, as a precaution, I would not connect the voice extension's bell wire to terminal 3 on the NTE5C if a "modern" phone is being used since the bell wire could cause stability issues.
Standard User farrinaf
(learned) Fri 30-Apr-21 09:09:50
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

Thank you for your further suggestion - I did NOT connect the third wire!

Well the ZEN FTTC connection (40/10) went live yesterday and the Vigor 130 brought everything online immediately.

The only real faff was spending some hours enabling remote access to the Vigor Console from my home (long story involving two pfsense firewalls, VPN's and configuring multiple outbound NAT translations, firewall rules etc)

As can be seen from the Vigor Console stats below quite a reasonable connection (if I sound only slightly luke warm, its because pre my FTTP connection, my FTTC connected at a rock steady 80/20). Whilst we are roughly the same distance away from our respective cabinets, the housing density in my mothers road is higher (semi v detached) so presumably noise et al is slightly higher. Still very respectable figures and it is only early days (been online for approximately 12 hours)

The only question now is do we splash out an extra £5 a month to go 80/20 ?

> vdsl status

---------------------- ATU-R Info (hw: annex A, f/w: annex A/B/C) -----------
Running Mode : 17A State : SHOWTIME
DS Actual Rate : 39993000 bps US Actual Rate : 9995000 bps
DS Attainable Rate : 72926296 bps US Attainable Rate : 27907472 bps
DS Path Mode : Fast US Path Mode : Fast
DS Interleave Depth : 1 US Interleave Depth : 1
NE Current Attenuation : 15 dB Cur SNR Margin : 15 dB
DS actual PSD : 6. 3 dB US actual PSD : 12. 8 dB
NE CRC Count : 3 FE CRC Count : 1773
NE ES Count : 2 FE ES Count : 1557
Xdsl Reset Times : 0 Xdsl Link Times : 2
ITU Version[0] : b5004946 ITU Version[1] : 544e0000
VDSL Firmware Version : 05-07-06-0D-01-07 [with Vectoring support]
Power Management Mode : DSL_G997_PMS_L0
Test Mode : DISABLE
-------------------------------- ATU-C Info ---------------------------------
Far Current Attenuation : 17 dB Far SNR Margin : 18 dB
CO ITU Version[0] : b5004946 CO ITU Version[1] : 544ed086
DSLAM CHIPSET VENDOR : < IFTN >

Edited by farrinaf (Fri 30-Apr-21 09:18:11)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 30-Apr-21 09:48:19
Print Post

YES. Upstream at 28Mbps - fine. Downstream at 73Mbps - far enough above 40 to justify it. Also, remember that is a reasonably accurate predicted figure that is based around a 6dB margin so you will be around there to start. You may then find the margin drops to 5, 4, 3 dB at which point you will be getting a lot closer to 80.

M H C

Standard User bkehoe
(newbie) Fri 30-Apr-21 09:59:30
Print Post

In reply to a post by MHC:

YES. Upstream at 28Mbps - fine. Downstream at 73Mbps - far enough above 40 to justify it. Also, remember that is a reasonably accurate predicted figure that is based around a 6dB margin so you will be around there to start. You may then find the margin drops to 5, 4, 3 dB at which point you will be getting a lot closer to 80.

Its very unlikely he'll see sub-6dB SNR due to being on an ECI cabinet but as you said should see around 70MBit for sure and if g.inp was enabled on it may get close to 80.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 30-Apr-21 10:25:40
Print Post

[re: bkehoe] [link to this post]

sub 6dB is possible on ECI cabinets unless the update that provided it has been removed or not rolled out to that cabinet.

M H C

Standard User farrinaf
(learned) Fri 30-Apr-21 10:57:08
Print Post

[re: bkehoe] [link to this post]

In light of your comments, thought you might be interested to see the equivalent Draytek 130 stats from MY old (i.e. Not my mothers) now terminated FTTC connection that ran reliably at 80/20 for a number of years.

Again it was an ECI box.

vdsl status

DS Actual Rate : 79995000 bps US Actual Rate : 20000000 bps
DS Attainable Rate : 93428456 bps US Attainable Rate : 30184464 bps
NE Current Attenuation : 12 dB Cur SNR Margin : 9 dB
DS actual PSD : 0. 1 dB US actual PSD : 0. 3 dB
NE CRC Count : 10622 FE CRC Count : 8021
NE ES Count : 6469 FE ES Count : 6274
Xdsl Reset Times : 0 Xdsl Link Times : 3
ITU Version[0] : b5004946 ITU Version[1] : 544e0000
VDSL Firmware Version : 05-07-06-0D-01-07 [with Vectoring support]
Power Management Mode : DSL_G997_PMS_L0
Test Mode : DISABLE
-------------------------------- ATU-C Info ---------------------------------
Far Current Attenuation : 10 dB Far SNR Margin : 12 dB
CO ITU Version[0] : b5004946 CO ITU Version[1] : 544eb206
DSLAM CHIPSET VENDOR : < IFTN >

I think we shall sit on the fence for a week or two to see how her line settles down and whether there are any potential speed improvements ie margin drops further (increased upload speed is particularly appealing)
Standard User j0hn83
(knowledge is power) Mon 03-May-21 13:56:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by MHC:
sub 6dB is possible on ECI cabinets unless the update that provided it has been removed or not rolled out to that cabinet.

It isn't.

It has only ever been available on Huawei cabinets. It requires G.INP.
ECI cabinets have not got beyond trials of G.INP and none of the trials have used XdB targets.

You'll see plenty ECI lines with current SNRM below 6dB, but the target is always 6dB.

Edited by j0hn83 (Mon 03-May-21 13:58:24)

Standard User Grimers
(member) Tue 04-May-21 10:44:54
Print Post

*I see John has already posted*

Edited by Grimers (Tue 04-May-21 10:45:23)

Standard User farrinaf
(learned) Mon 10-May-21 11:16:06
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

To sort of bring this thread to a conclusion, having recently upgraded the subject connection to a 80/20 (from 40/10) below are the Vigor stats which seem most satisfactory

Vigor> vdsl status
DS Actual Rate : 74161000 bps US Actual Rate : 20000000 bps
DS Attainable Rate : 73041336 bps US Attainable Rate : 27460048 bps
NE Current Attenuation : 15 dB Cur SNR Margin : 5 dB
DS actual PSD : 4. 3 dB US actual PSD : 12. 8 dB
NE CRC Count : 10 FE CRC Count : 1788
NE ES Count : 9 FE ES Count : 1566
Xdsl Reset Times : 0 Xdsl Link Times : 2