General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User DrPepper
(regular) Thu 29-Apr-21 13:56:28
Print Post

The road to full fibre...

[link to this post]

In the beginning (the early 90's) I discovered something called dial up internet and had a modem that would connect at 28K. Not long after that I got a 33K modem and of course, just as I got that, 56K decided to be the new standard!

I was always aware of ISDN and when BT home highway came along, I had to upgrade to that. A whole 64K or 128K if I bonded both channels. This was amazing for a few years.

Again, technology moved on and ADSL at a whole 512K became the norm (with the top speed being 2Mbps), as the years rolled by, I went to 8Mbps and then 14Mbps as my line would not support any more than that. However, this was amazing compared to even my ISDN days.

Nothing much else happened until 2018 when VDSL (FTTC) became available to me and I could get 65Mbps and as you guessed, I upgraded once more.

Then during 2020, I noticed CBTs appearing on the poles down the roads so I knew full fibre was coming. The week before Christmas, my DP was blessed with a CBT and I eagerly wated for it to become live so that I found order what I had wanted for a long time - fibre!

You now know the rest of the story, the second COVID wave hit and Openreach closed their order books. So, this meant even though I could order fibre, I could still not have it until today!

So, I am writing this connected to my local exchange by a bit of glass and light pulses. I cannot help wondering what the next step will be?
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 29-Apr-21 17:24:59
Print Post

Re: The road to full fibre...

[re: DrPepper] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by DrPepper:
I cannot help wondering what the next step will be?
Very good question. Fibre is pretty close to being "future proof" using our 2021 eyes, although someone will probably invent something else to confuse us!

I started a bit earlier with modems than yourself, Prestel at 1200/75 first, then 9600bps and then 14400bps before getting to the amazing speeds of 28.8kbps smile

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User Rhynchelma
(newbie) Thu 29-Apr-21 17:44:53
Print Post

300 baud modem, 1200, 1440 (or something), 56k.
ISDN.
ADSL, VSL, hoping for glass and linking lamps.

From what I have read, fibre is to some extent future proof because just changing what's at either end can really alter the speed. That will be the next thing, I think.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User j0hn83
(knowledge is power) Thu 29-Apr-21 18:02:03
Print Post

So, I am writing this connected to my local exchange by a bit of glass and light pulses. I cannot help wondering what the next step will be?

Just as all your previous upgrades over the years have all used the same copper pair(s), that bit glass should be good for multiple generations of upgrades and will probably see you good for up to 10Gb/s eventually, perhaps higher.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 29-Apr-21 20:59:38
Print Post

[re: Rhynchelma] [link to this post]

The first two places I used remote coms used 100 baud acoustic couplers and teletypes.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
The EU’s multiple failures are due to a deeper malaise .... What malaise? The EU’s formidable immunity to the smallest amount of democracy. New Statesman Feb 2021.
Standard User zyborg47
(legend) Fri 30-Apr-21 20:57:58
Print Post

A Supra Modem 2400 was the first modem I used to get online with my Amiga 500, I connected to a BBC in Seven Oaks, I used fidomail to send email, none of this quick instant email thing we have now, we had to wait until the BBS connected to other systems, unless the person you was messaging was using the same BBS.
I loved it, it was new and strange. The next modem I had was a USR courier, that I got with a second hand Amiga 4000, and eventually I went onto the net when I got my first PC.
A mate of mine used to use a Acoustic coupler, before i started to muck around with online stuff, it was him that got me into going online.

Yes, things have changed, we are now permanently connected, but is it as much fun?

Adrian

Desktop machine Ryzen powered with windows 10 , reluctantly.

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User ft247
(member) Fri 30-Apr-21 22:43:13
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
Yes, things have changed, we are now permanently connected, but is it as much fun?

A modem handshake at least sounded like something special was happening.
Standard User zyborg47
(legend) Sat 01-May-21 06:52:34
Print Post

[re: ft247] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ft247:
A modem handshake at least sounded like something special was happening.

It did, it is strange, but I still miss that sound. It all changed when i went to ADSL, that was with a modem as well, the oldFrog or stingray as some people used to call it. I did the same thing with that as I did for the dial-up modem, just stick it on the old computer and used that as a gateway to connect the other machines in the house.
It worked at the end of the day. I was tidying up a few weeks back and found the co-ax I used, complete with the BNC plugs and tee adaptors and terminators, there was even an old network card with them.
It is so much easier now, just plug in the router and away you go, smile

Adrian

Desktop machine Ryzen powered with windows 10 , reluctantly.

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User dogcat
(learned) Sun 02-May-21 12:51:49
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by j0hn83:

Just as all your previous upgrades over the years have all used the same copper pair(s), that bit glass should be good for multiple generations of upgrades and will probably see you good for up to 10Gb/s eventually, perhaps higher.

Think the current highest speed PON is 80Gbps; its probably likely there isn't any limit 'relatively', especially when you factor in using multiple wavelengths (there is a limit but its always going to be the switching gear holding it back not the cable). XGS-PON is what many of the other operators in other countries are moving to and Openreach was trialling, but given the lack of further trials seems they might be skipping it.
Standard User j0hn83
(knowledge is power) Sun 02-May-21 13:20:32
Print Post

[re: dogcat] [link to this post]

They aren't skipping it.
The trial is closed to new orders but is ongoing.

I don't think the intention has ever been for OpenReach to upgrade GPON to XGS-PON but instead to target XGS-PON for selling higher tiers, particularly on business sites.

When I said "will probably see you good for up to 10Gb/s eventually" I was of course talking about likely end user packages and not the entire PON.
I know the fibre is already capable of more than 10Gb/s.

You never know, we might even see 100G/100G at home eventually. When you look at where speeds have gone in the last 25 years it makes you wonder what could be available in 25 years time.

Nokia were showing off their 100G PON with Vodafone a couple months ago.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to