Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 25-Jan-11 00:07:53
Print Post

Re: A couple of things

[re: GrimUpNorth] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by GrimUpNorth:
I've had the X4 955 for some 18 months and can't fault it.

Converting 45 minute divx to watch on the PSP takes about 3 or 4 mins and the machine doesn't seem to even break into a sweat. My old machine would take 15 minutes and be unusable during the conversion, now I can carry on while the coversion is done in the background.

If I were you, I would go for the quad and the maybe uprgrade to six cores at some point in the future. One other thing - the AMD coolers are not the best, they work OK but for £20 to £30 you can get those temps right down!

Hope this helps

Grim

i decided to go for the quad, as for coolers I am looking at the Akasa Venom. A mate of mine got one on his Intel machine and it is really good, it took a bit of putting together mind you, but it fits in a different way on a Intel chip. It is about 30 quid, but it is big and have heat pipes that comes into contact with the CPU.

My list

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition 3.4GHz Socket AM3 8MB L3 Cache 125W Retail Box Processor £124.98

Coolermaster HAF 912 Plus Case £61.28

Corsair 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz/PC3-12800 XMS3 i5 Memory Kit CL9(9-9-9-24) 1.65V £37.00

Akasa Venom Nano Socket Intel 775 1156 1155 1366 AMD AM2 AM2+ AM3 Heatpipe CPU Coole £30.59

Seagate 500GB Momentus XT 2.5" Hybrid SSD/HDD SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache - OEM £89.99

Cart total inc vat: £343.8

Last week i got myself a Hanns-G 22inch Full Hd monitor and the Asus Motherboard.

More or less the whole thing will be about £500, which is what I said I would pay for a update. the only thing I will get at some point is a Blue-ray writer, but not required at the moment due to the lack of a HD camcorder.

That list could change by thursday

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

On ADSL24 using C&W network.
Standard User 4M2
(member) Tue 25-Jan-11 00:24:24
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Actually the Seagate pipeline may not be that brilliant: just noticed that it spins at 5900rpm rather than the normal 7200rpm for 3 1/2" drive. Amazon prices for HDD's are falling very rapidly, e.g. Seagate OEM 16MB cache 500GB just over 30 quid.

I use Seagate, Hitachi and Western Digital - they all seem to perform about the same...

With Vegas editing though I find it's much better to keep the video files on a different drive to the Vegas app and OS drive.

Perhaps when 2 1/2" solid state drives are fitted as standard in laptops then the prices should fall considerably...

Don't use a quad cpu myself - I find a core 2 duo 2.93GHz does the job just fine for editing HD 1080i/p (although I do convert H.264 to neoscene AVI intermediate files first.)

Best of luck with your hardware and editing smile
Standard User camieabz
(legend) Tue 25-Jan-11 01:39:16
Print Post

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
That is why I am looking at the hybrid seagate drive. i still need more Mhz as well. another 4Gb of memory will also help.

I'm not sure the reviews have been overwhelming vs the competition.

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011 - All rights and lefts reserved.

report this link

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 28-Jan-11 11:13:06
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 4M2:
Actually the Seagate pipeline may not be that brilliant: just noticed that it spins at 5900rpm rather than the normal 7200rpm for 3 1/2" drive. Amazon prices for HDD's are falling very rapidly, e.g. Seagate OEM 16MB cache 500GB just over 30 quid.

I never noticed the speed. smile these drives are made for PVr type boxes, like Sky+, they don't really need a fast drive.
i used a old 80Gb maxtor in my old thomson PVR as the original 40Gb one was a bit limited, it worked fine and it certainly was not the fastest drive around

I use Seagate, Hitachi and Western Digital - they all seem to perform about the same.

It was my old 6Gb seatgate drive that put me off Seagate, it went back to seagate so many times, the strange thing was after the last time I gave it to a friend who used it in her computer for years, in fact I think it is still going

i got a Hitachi as the main drive in this machine, really fast and reliable, if a little bit on the loud side. There is a option to dampen the noise, but it slow the drive down them, may do it when it becomes a second drive

With Vegas editing though I find it's much better to keep the video files on a different drive to the Vegas app and OS drive.

That is what I do, but it is a small 260Gb drive, not big enough really, I will now use the 250 Hitachi once the other drive gets here.

Perhaps when 2 1/2" solid state drives are fitted as standard in laptops then the prices should fall considerably...

Hope so, they have fallen a lot as it is, and I do know how fast they are as a mate of mine got one in his video editing machine, but then he got more money than me smile

Don't use a quad cpu myself - I find a core 2 duo 2.93GHz does the job just fine for editing HD 1080i/p (although I do convert H.264 to neoscene AVI intermediate files first.)

I gone for the 3.4 quad instead of the 3.2, only a few quid more, I got the money at the moment so may as well build the best I can, with out going mad.

Ordered it all now, hoping it will come tomorrow. I also decided to day to get a blu-ray writer, so that should come next week, £79 for a LG.

Best of luck with your hardware and editing smile

Cheers,
I noticed the difference with just a extra 2Gb of memory, Vegas is a lot smoother to use and even experimenting with Hd video it made a difference. On playing back the preview it was great, maybe it because the internal video card is better than my old one at decoding

Adrian

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 28-Jan-11 11:16:43
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by camieabz:
In reply to a post by zyborg47:
That is why I am looking at the hybrid seagate drive. i still need more Mhz as well. another 4Gb of memory will also help.

I'm not sure the reviews have been overwhelming vs the competition.

Some reviews was pretty good, others said it made little difference. I will see, I have ordered it, if it is not as good as I thought I will stick it in the laptop and stick the laptop one in the PS3 and then get another drive for this one.

It should do the job ok.

Also ordered a Blu-ray writer and some disks, the prices are dripping like hell now.

Per Gigabyte a write once Blu-ray disk is better value than a normal DVD. Re-rewritable are still a bit pricey, but getting better.

I was going to get a load of Double layer disks, but the last time I tried them the software only wrote to one layer and would not allow me to us the other, very strange, so Blu-ray it is smile

Adrian

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 30-Jan-11 00:31:21
Print Post

it is all up and running and working, it is pretty quick, but then it should be, nice case for the money. the hard drive is starting to be quicker now, My vegas loads up quicker now than it did when i first installed it.

Should have Blu-ray writer next week.

the whole lot, in total cost me just over £700, which is pretty good to be honest, that includes the monitor and motherboard which I got a few weeks before with the first 4Gb of ram.

Once the Blu-ray writer is in that will be it, I got no need to touch it for a few years unless something goers wrong. the built in video card seems to do the job ok, no need to update that.

Adrian

Edited by zyborg47 (Sun 30-Jan-11 00:41:20)

Standard User 4M2
(member) Sun 30-Jan-11 01:41:21
Print Post

zyborg47,

It's great to hear that you are happy with your setup.

If you haven't considered it already then running a second monitor is an extremely useful asset when editing with Vegas. You can keep the preview window small on the Vegas GUI and thus give yourself plenty of room to work on the timelines and have the second monitor running full screen for a much better preview as you are editing, especially when applying FX filters.

Not sure if your onboard graphics can support two DVI connections or one DVI + one HDMI connection, may work with DVI + analogue VGA though...

Best of luck with the blu-ray thing - don't know much about that, I usually only burn data files (max size 4.35GB) onto regular single sided DVD's for pc or Nero Digital HD playback or archiving.

4M2.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 31-Jan-11 09:29:19
Print Post

zyborg47,

It's great to hear that you are happy with your setup.

Happy? i am over the moon. for the first time for years I have got the set up I want, not the set up I can afford.

Most of my other computers had to be cut down one way or another due to lack of funds, with this one I got what I wanted, well almost, I was going to get a Asrock motherboard, but the lack of IDE on the one I wanted put me off, which is why I went for a Asus. My Dvd writer is still IDe and does the job well.
If you haven't considered it already then running a second monitor is an extremely useful asset when editing with Vegas. You can keep the preview window small on the Vegas GUI and thus give yourself plenty of room to work on the timelines and have the second monitor running full screen for a much better preview as you are editing, especially when applying FX filters.

I thought about that, I thought about sticking my old 17inch monitor on here. I will wait until I move into the other room I think.
Not sure if the 17 inch monitor will be ok for that, but I suppose I can use it for as you said FX and other windows.

Not sure if your onboard graphics can support two DVI connections or one DVI + one HDMI connection, may work with DVI + analogue VGA though...

I can use the HDMI and VGA or the DVI and VGA, but not the DVI and HDMI. Not a problem as my old monitor is VGA only. the computer will boot on the VGA first, then I presume I can change windows to use the DVI monitor as the defult.

I never done two monitors before, had no need to. I know someone who have and still do.

I suppose I could get another monitor, maybe that is why I should have paid a bit more and got a LED monitor, it uses a bit less power.
Oh well.

Best of luck with the blu-ray thing - don't know much about that, I usually only burn data files (max size 4.35GB) onto regular single sided DVD's for pc or Nero Digital HD playback or archiving.

It should be interesting, I don't really need it for video as I don't have a HD camcorder yet, but it be useful for backing up files

What would be interesting is putting a load of video stuff on one.

The blank disks are around £7.50 for ten, 25Gb each, That works out at 75p per disk or 3p per gig, which to be honest is pretty good. The rewritables are a lot more, but they will come down in price.

Adrian

Standard User 4M2
(member) Mon 31-Jan-11 12:26:40
Print Post

I just use an inexpensive Gigabyte GV-N84S-512I GeForce 8400GS 512 MB ATX HDMI PCI-E Graphics Card for running two monitors, DVI + HDMI, from a Win7 32bit machine - does the job just fine with Vegas. My onboard graphics will only output analogue VGA though...

Yes, IDE is very useful: my cousin uses it for running an old HDD and a DVD drive from his previous pc and uses the three spare SATA motherboard connections for other HDD's etc. so he doesn't need to use eSATA for external drives.

Hope you enjoy the blu-ray projects - I saw some cheap write once discs in Wilkinsons the other day, but I don't even have a blu-ray reader drive frown

4M2.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 01-Feb-11 01:12:37
Print Post

I just use an inexpensive Gigabyte GV-N84S-512I GeForce 8400GS 512 MB ATX HDMI PCI-E Graphics Card for running two monitors, DVI + HDMI, from a Win7 32bit machine - does the job just fine with Vegas. My onboard graphics will only output analogue VGA though...

I was going to stick my old 9400GT back in, but I think the onboard video is better, it seemed to handle previews from Vegas better.
Yes, IDE is very useful: my cousin uses it for running an old HDD and a DVD drive from his previous pc and uses the three spare SATA motherboard connections for other HDD's etc. so he doesn't need to use eSATA for external drives.

A mate of mine told me I would have been better to get another DVd drive, at the time I was not going to get a blu-ray, well not at the moment anyway.
But to be honest I think this Asus board is a better buy than the Asrock anyway.
i know they are both made by the same company, but Asrock is Asus budget brand.

Hope you enjoy the blu-ray projects - I saw some cheap write once discs in Wilkinsons the other day, but I don't even have a blu-ray reader drive frown

You should think about getting one, they are not that expensive now, unless you are short of money, then they are.

I just decided to tunr my heat sink around, so the fan pushes the air from the front to the back and then the case fan can take the hot ait from the heatsink straight outside the case.

I just wish they did not make things such a pain, it got four screws and there is no way to get a screw driver in there, so I have to tighten them up as best I can by hand. They seem to be tight enough and the temps are ok.

I did over clock for a while, but now decided not to bother, what is the point for what I want it for?

I also got hold of a old fan from a power supply and stuk it in the roof space, so it can pull air out from the top as well, a 200mm fan will cost £15, so the old power supply is a bit smaller, but will do the job nicely, I got it running on 5 volts instead of 12, so running slower and quieter, but still does the job.

Adrian

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to