Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Moderator billford
(moderator) Mon 04-Jun-12 08:19:18
Print Post

Re: Laser Printers to print plain text files

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by john2007:
Haven't lasers always been Postscript or equivalent?
Nope.

Certainly up to the LaserJet 4 I used to print direct from DOS. As MHC said, you could get PostScript options, but oh boy, did they cost!

I'm reasonably sure that the only thing preventing me printing to my old LJ4 from a Mac command line is lack of a Centronics port frown

Bill
[email protected] __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQM

Edited by billford (Mon 04-Jun-12 08:23:15)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 04-Jun-12 08:54:58
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

http://www.amazon.co.uk/USB-Parallel-Centronics-Prin...

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Moderator billford
(moderator) Mon 04-Jun-12 09:11:45
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Technical Details
Not suitable for 64 bit OP systems
Despite the above, for a couple of quid it was worth a punt so I tried it ages ago... doesn't work on a Mac frown

Bill
[email protected] __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User john2007
(legend) Mon 04-Jun-12 10:06:26
Print Post

In reply to a post by billford:
Haven't lasers always been Postscript or equivalent?
Nope.

Certainly up to the LaserJet 4 I used to print direct from DOS. As MHC said, you could get PostScript options, but oh boy, did they cost!

I'm reasonably sure that the only thing preventing me printing to my old LJ4 from a Mac command line is lack of a Centronics port frown

Doesn't necessarily mean they didn't need drivers to select fonts and type sizes. They were pretty expensive when they first came out, and I don't remember the office ones being particularly fast. A golf ball or daisy wheel printer would have been more versatile if lasers only had a single font and no graphics.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Mon 04-Jun-12 10:19:54
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

Doesn't necessarily mean they didn't need drivers to select fonts and type sizes.
The important word there is "necessarily", because they didn't need them. At least, the LaserJets that I used didn't.

Connect the printer up, boot to DOS, switch it on, wait for it to warm up and you could print from the command line, using the print command, copy <file> lpt1, or using redirection/piping. No drivers...

Certainly you could change the font (tho' I can't remember how), but if you didn't bother it defaulted to either Courier 10 or 12, I forget which.

Bill
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 04-Jun-12 10:29:27
Print Post

Looks like someone else got it working http://www.electrictao.net/mac.shtml

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User john2007
(legend) Mon 04-Jun-12 10:42:00
Print Post

That sounds like what the OP wants.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Mon 04-Jun-12 10:42:58
Print Post

Looks like it might be useful for getting a Centronics printer recognised by OS X, but it doesn't address the OP's problem (or mine, come to that):
In reply to a post by Sandgrounder:
... which will print plain text files (without the use of a printer driver).
I'll carry on redirecting to a file and using TextEdit to print it on the Samsung laser, or if I really want to use the LaserJet for some reason, copy the file to the old Windows PC that has the LJ4L on it.

Bill
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 04-Jun-12 10:51:27
Print Post

I think the Dos2USB is a solution for the OP - the main problem being connectivity, not the printer type..

Moderator billford
(moderator) Mon 04-Jun-12 11:08:26
Print Post

Maybe. Ditto @ John.

But as we can't be sure which OS (or even which hardware- Raspberry Pi?) the OP is using, I think it's time to leave him to comment.

Bill
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to