Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Sandgrounder
(knowledge is power) Mon 04-Jun-12 11:12:37
Print Post

Re: Laser Printers to print plain text files

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
I think the Dos2USB is a solution for the OP - the main problem being connectivity, not the printer type..
Thanks for all the comments and discussion. It has been most interesting.

But, my problem is the printer type, not the connectivity. I have no trouble sending the files to any USB, serial or parallel connected printer. (local to the computer or networked).

The software in question is wriiten in BBCbasic (running on Virtual Acorn) and it produces plain text output without access to the printer drivers which come with modern printers.

It all works (and has done for twenty odd years) with any printer which will accept and print plain text, which used to be virtually all printers.

Line One:- Zen - DrayTek Vigor 2600VG
Line Two:- EntaNet (Aquiss) - DrayTek Vigor 2600

Edited by Sandgrounder (Mon 04-Jun-12 11:17:29)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 04-Jun-12 11:17:12
Print Post

[re: Sandgrounder] [link to this post]

That's why I suggested "PrintFile can also act as a print spooler, watching a specified directory for files. Whenever a file appears in that directory it will automatically be printed."

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User john2007
(legend) Mon 04-Jun-12 11:21:06
Print Post

One solution would be to send the raw text via the network to a computer with appropriate printer drivers. A program on that computer could "listen" for the raw text and format it for a printer.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(knowledge is power) Mon 04-Jun-12 11:21:59
Print Post

Your suggestion is the best work around proposed. There are a number of such programs available both for purchase and free. I now have one on an evaluation license.

But it would still be nice to have a printer which does the job directly.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 04-Jun-12 11:25:38
Print Post

In the FAQ it says there isn't a problem anyway
Can VirtualAcorn use a Windows printer?
VirtualAcorn prints out using a RISC OS printer driver. Provided a suitable PDF (Printer Definition File) exists then RISC OS can print to your printer. VirtualAcorn is supplied with a wide range of the latest printer drivers available for RISC OS.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
(knowledge is power) Mon 04-Jun-12 11:27:11
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

Agreed, but as I said in answer to BatBoy's post, I have such software on test.

But it would still be nice to have a printer which does what all my other printers have done - prints plain text, without the need for a driver.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 04-Jun-12 11:30:17
Print Post

Plenty of drivers here, dunno if they're the same thing http://support.riscos.com/Support/Releases/Printers/

But as you say, they're still drivers.

(knowledge is power) Mon 04-Jun-12 11:32:37
Print Post

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
In the FAQ it says there isn't a problem anyway
Can VirtualAcorn use a Windows printer?
VirtualAcorn prints out using a RISC OS printer driver. Provided a suitable PDF (Printer Definition File) exists then RISC OS can print to your printer. VirtualAcorn is supplied with a wide range of the latest printer drivers available for RISC OS.

Only works if Virtual Acorn have provided a Risc OS printer driver. And that applies less and less as the manufacturers produce new printers.

In any case my software currently does not use a Risc OS printer driver

Standard User Ancient_Mariner
(knowledge is power) Mon 04-Jun-12 11:53:35
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

I remember using a Kyocera laser printer with DOS in the mid 90's on one ship that I was on. The only issue that I can remember was the requirement for an End of Page, or something similar at the end of the text, in order for the printer to take the sheet in and print on it. Otherwise with less than a page of text it would sit and wait.

Sorry cant be more explicit.

Cheers!

Clive

"As I hurtled through space towards re-entry at twice the speed of sound the only thought in my mind was that this craft was entirely built by the lowest bidder! Alan Shepard, Astronaut

Andrews & Arnold FTTC
DrayTek Vigor 2920Vn
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 04-Jun-12 12:09:43
Print Post

[re: Ancient_Mariner] [link to this post]

That's what the chap does here http://www.virtualacorn.co.uk/support/articles/102/i...

240 : REM Don't forget the page feed, especially on a laser!
260 : VDU 12

Edited by BatBoy (Mon 04-Jun-12 12:11:20)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to