Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User dragonsd
(newbie) Tue 22-Oct-13 07:55:10
Print Post

Re: Is it legal to remove DRM from a Kindle ebook? *DELETED*

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

Thank you, I bought the kobo for the books I could get on its platform but have recently found some really old books I read when I was young that I thought my kids might like, but only found them on kindle, I would like to get them but not paying out for a kindle just for six books specially as they are the same price as paperbacks these days
Standard User billford
(elder) Tue 22-Oct-13 08:05:31
Print Post

Re: Is it legal to remove DRM from a Kindle ebook? *DELETED*

[re: dragonsd] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dragonsd:
... but have recently found some really old books ...
If they're really old then they're probably out of copyright, have you looked on any of the free sites like Project Gutenberg?

They provide a range of formats, all DRM-free. The transcription quality can be variable, but it's a good source.

Amazon also have their own list of free sources that you might find useful- here.

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions.

__________Fold at Home_________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 22-Oct-13 12:35:56
Print Post

Re: Is it legal to remove DRM from a Kindle ebook?

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by David_W:
Calibre will convert non-DRM AZW to a Kobo supported format.
You sure of that? Your linked stuff only says:
Input Formats: CBZ, CBR, CBC, CHM, DJVU, DOCX, EPUB, FB2, HTML, HTMLZ, LIT, LRF, MOBI, ODT, PDF, PRC, PDB, PML, RB, RTF, SNB, TCR, TXT, TXTZ
Where's AZW?
The issue is the DRM.
Is it? We don't know that.

THe OP2 comes along and adds to last year's thread. For all we know he has file transferred some .AZW ebooks from Kindle to Kobo and wonders why he can't see them. He assumes it's because of DRM but it will be just due to the spec of the Kobo. Hence my point & Q.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 22-Oct-13 13:54:48
Print Post

Re: Is it legal to remove DRM from a Kindle ebook?

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
Calibre will convert non-DRM AZW to a Kobo supported format.
You sure of that? Your linked stuff only says:
Input Formats: CBZ, CBR, CBC, CHM, DJVU, DOCX, EPUB, FB2, HTML, HTMLZ, LIT, LRF, MOBI, ODT, PDF, PRC, PDB, PML, RB, RTF, SNB, TCR, TXT, TXTZ
Where's AZW?
In the Note section of that FAQ, it says "MOBI files often have .azw or .azw3 file extensions", which is a slight gloss on the relationship between AZW/AZW3 and MOBI, but it clearly extends the coverage of the converter to AZW. If you read on to the next FAQ it gives AZW as the third most preferred format to convert, after LIT (Microsoft Reader) and MOBI.

Some time ago, I used Calibre to convert a non-DRM AZW to EPUB successfully.

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
The issue is the DRM.
Is it? We don't know that.
You're picking a trivial concern with my choice of words. "Potential DRM" may have been better, but I think I'm entitled to rely on OP2's premise that the AZW has DRM. I had already said explicitly "Calibre will convert non-DRM AZW to a Kobo supported format", leaving the meaning in no doubt.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to