Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 10-Mar-15 23:04:49
Print Post

Re: Manufacturer refurbished, h80i

[re: rogerfp] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by rogerfp:
Think you will find that the Y cable is supplied with plastic sleeves over the pins to protect them. These have to be removed to expose the pins so that the connectors from the fans can be fitted.

Yep, I found that out after I sent the unit back and had the third unit today. It still had the strange connectors so I went online and found they was covers.

Anyway, I fitted the third unit to my computer, I could not get the fan to slow down at all and the temperatures was way over what it was with air cooler.

After about 20 mins of mucking around and getting nowhere, I switched off the computer as I was going to make some coffee and I heard a pop and realised that one of the pipes had come off.
Thankfully nothing leaked, but that is it, It seems like someone do not want me to have a water cooled machine, so I will request a refund and get a larger Air cooled system, maybe the larger version of the old Akasa Venom I had before.

I can not be bothered any more, just more hassle than it is worth.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User rogerfp
(regular) Tue 10-Mar-15 23:33:02
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Guess you must be really unlucky. I'm surprised the temp wasn't lowered by the H80i.
What was the configuration, both fans, either side of the rad, sucking air from the outside in?
You say the fans speed cannot be changed, how are they connected to the motherboard?
If only 3 pin anywhere in the connection, then you can't change the speed. Has to be 4 pin.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 16-Mar-15 10:10:24
Print Post

[re: rogerfp] [link to this post]

The temp was higher with the H80i and the noise, I would have chucked the computer through the window if I had to put up with that.
Push in, pull out format, with air coming from outside the case. I do think that the pipes was much too stiff and made mounting the hardware more difficult than it should have been.

As for the four pin, it may have been a four piun connector, but only one connection, as far as I know the pin is only to more or less let the computer now there is a fan on there, I do not think it does much else, the rest is powered by a Sata power connector and USB.

I did put the connector on the four pin connection as my board got a 3 pin and four pin, in fact I tried both.
I disconnected all my USBs. just in case, and it seems like the software did not even recognise the unit anyway. I am so glad I switch the computer off before the pipe flew off.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to