Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Mon 23-Mar-15 19:59:35
Print Post

Re: USB hard drive problem

[re: rogerfp] [link to this post]

If you buy a run-of-the-mill external drive, that will almost certainly be the case, but Samsung have enough dosh and expertise to commission custom circuit boards. They will probably make the boards themselves and buy in the bare drives.

Faced with the choice between changing one’s mind and proving that there is no need to do so,
almost everyone gets busy on the proof. -- J.K. Galbraith

Edited by micksharpe (Mon 23-Mar-15 20:25:07)

Standard User rogerfp
(member) Mon 23-Mar-15 20:25:01
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

In that case I'll defer to both you and Batboy's superior knowledge on this particular subject. My suggestion to remove the drive from the case and plug it in to a Sata port would be a no goer then.
Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Mon 23-Mar-15 20:32:36
Print Post

Well, the socket on the PCB looks like an eSATA connector but there's clearly no additional circuitry on the case -- the connector just pokes through. Since the case has a label with USB 3.0 on it, I can only conclude that the PCB has a USB interface. I can't imagine that they would provide some sort of smart cable with it to convert SATA to USB. It doesn't make sense and it would hardly be a USB drive. Large manufacturers can and do fit custom circuit boards to bare drives.

Faced with the choice between changing one’s mind and proving that there is no need to do so,

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User rogerfp
(member) Mon 23-Mar-15 20:33:47
Print Post

[re: wingco1] [link to this post]

How old is this M3 drive as I believe they have a Samsung 3 year warranty?
Standard User rogerfp
(member) Tue 24-Mar-15 00:30:33
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

The stupid thing here is that I'm the one who posted the Youtube link on how to disassemble a M3 caddy which if Id bothered to watch the whole thing shows exactly how the hard disk PCB is made. Doh! The socket is a USB 3.0 micro-B btw.
Standard User wingco1
(legend) Wed 25-Mar-15 10:32:18
Print Post

Thanks to all for your advice. After spending a lot of time trying various software options, Including Mick's suggestion I ripped open the case. No SATA connections so a caddy was a non starter.

It's so annoying that device manager can see it but windows explorer can't. So, in the end I slammed it down on it's side on a desk. I didn't really but felt like doing it. I've written it off, so will look for a replacement.

Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Wed 25-Mar-15 11:17:36
Print Post

[re: wingco1] [link to this post]

Why not buy a SATA drive and an external enclosure that provides both USB and eSATA interfaces? That way, you will know that if the drive fails (or you want a higher capacity), you can easily replace it. Be aware that a lot of dual interface enclosures only support USB 2.0. I'm still looking for a moderately-priced USB 3.0 / eSATA enclosure.

Edit: It may also be cheaper than buying an integrated unit.

Edited by micksharpe (Wed 25-Mar-15 11:19:18)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to