Thanks to all who have replied this far. Unfortunately, I canít access the PC today. I recall yesterday as follows:
1. Pressed power button. Green light on PC case came on an light to DVD, CDRW, and floppy drives flashed as did the lights on the keyboard
2. I think there was one short. If so itís normal for that system.
3. The normal sounds of an XP system going through the POST process did not occur
4. The green light on the case dimmed.
5. The monitor displayed the ďno signalĒ messageÖ never anything more
I want to test the electrics in the attic study in which the PC lives (or has died) before calling in a techie to remove the HD.
I let you know how things proceed.
Meanwhile, many thanks for your input.