Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User TinyMongomery
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 09-Jan-16 18:37:36
Print Post

Re: Secure boot

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
Successful maybe, but also one not to be trusted and it is about time the world saw sense and look at what Ms can do.
It strikes me that it's about time that people who feel the way you do stopped supporting Microsoft by using their products.
Standard User neo_wales
(newbie) Sun 10-Jan-16 00:47:21
Print Post

In reply to a post by micksharpe:
I know what secure boot is, it is Microsoft's the NSA's way to try and stop people using other operating systems, under the pretence of them keeping us safe.
Allow me to correct that for you. Microsoft has become the US government's poodle.

LOL

Can you expand on that sweeping statement, provide some links et al ?

Robert
South Wales UK
Talk Talk FTTC
i7 PC
i7 Surface Pro 4
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 10-Jan-16 09:27:26
Print Post

[re: neo_wales] [link to this post]

This perhaps: https://igurublog.wordpress.com/2014/04/08/julian-as...

Oops! Wrong OS!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 10-Jan-16 09:34:09
Print Post

[re: TinyMongomery] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by TinyMongomery:
I'm talking about your specific complaint here rather than what happens "a lot of the time".

My complaint is the of many people, maybe not your average joe as all they do is buy a computer and just use it to do there browsing, saying that most people are now using tablets.

Saying that I was surprised last week by someone who I thought just buy computers and not bother much about anything as long as they work. We was talking about updating and I asked if he updated to Windows 10 yet and he came back and said nope as he is a bit bothered about their spying. Before you say it I never said anything to him about it.

Very few people will care or know what secure boot is.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 10-Jan-16 09:37:15
Print Post

It strikes me that it's about time that people who feel the way you do stopped supporting Microsoft by using their products.

You make it sound so easy, this is the problem with a monopoly in that it is difficult to find a product from another supplier, manufacture to do the job.
Tell me where i could get another Os to do what I want?
Linux is all fine for browsing and writing a letter and for a few other things,k but sadly the software is not really there for most things and Apple OSx is fine apart from, the fact it will only work on Apple products and they are over priced.

So take the blinkers off your pro-Microsoft eyes

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 10-Jan-16 09:37:59
Print Post

Julian Assange is a nut case.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 10-Jan-16 09:52:56
Print Post

Worse now with Windows 10 devices as at least with Windows 8 devices Ms said that hardware must be able to switch to turn secure boot off, only because the Linux crowd complained. But with Windows 10 devices MS have dropped that requirement.
My mistake. I took your statement as a complaint that Microsoft were no longer requiring hardware manufacturers to ensure that secure boot could be switched off.
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 10-Jan-16 09:55:22
Print Post

So you are saying that Microsoft produce the best software for your purposes? That's fair enough.

I'm not the pro-Microsoft one; I use several different OSs.
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 10-Jan-16 09:56:33
Print Post

So you don't think that the NSA had anything to do with the development of SE Linux?
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 10-Jan-16 13:55:08
Print Post

Worse now with Windows 10 devices as at least with Windows 8 devices Ms said that hardware must be able to switch to turn secure boot off, only because the Linux crowd complained. But with Windows 10 devices MS have dropped that requirement.
My mistake. I took your statement as a complaint that Microsoft were no longer requiring hardware manufacturers to ensure that secure boot could be switched off.

MS said that with Windows 8.1 all devices must be able to have a way to turn secure boot on or off, with Windows 10 they have dropped that requirement. So this now means that hardware manufacture will now be able to produce hardware with no way to switch secure boot off and MS knows full well that what will happen.
If MS requirement was that there is no switch for secure boot there would be hell to play, so instead they get around it another way.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to