Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User TinyMongomery
(knowledge is power) Sun 28-Aug-16 13:28:51
Print Post

Re: HD activity light or lack off

[re: Kenneth] [link to this post]

Funnily enough, I was driving a loan car the other day and I was surprised at how much more information it displayed compared to my older car (but a higher model). Whether it was accurate or not I couldn't say.

===============================
Don't blame me - I voted Remain
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 28-Aug-16 15:13:49
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Another reason for the lack of disk activity lights is the increasing use of NVM Express, where the interface to a SSD is PCI Express. With a NVMe drive, there is no disk controller on the motherboard to generate a disk activity signal.

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 2 with native IPv6
thinkbroadband speed test : speedtest.net : thinkbroadband quality monitor IPv4 IPv6
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 04-Sep-16 12:29:20
Print Post

[re: Kenneth] [link to this post]

Makes no difference now anyway, I think the laptop is dead, I reinstalled windows 7 and it is really slow, so IO thought i would stick 10 on it and it is no different, so gone back to 7 and it keeps coming up with this is not responding, that is not responding, I check the memory that is ok, done a check on the hard drive that came back ok. The lid is warped and will not close, it is as if someone been sat on top of it or the computer have got too hot when it was closed, there is also something rattling around in the device.

i will update Windows 7 on it, if I can as windows 7 update is playing up and then it can go back to the owner. Shame really as it is an I3 machine with 4Gb of ram, so not cheap when it was new.
i would rescue the memory and hard drive

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to