Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 28-May-17 18:02:49
Print Post

Re: Ryzen 5 and Ryzen 7 or any ryzen chip :)

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

All up and running now, but only after installing spyware windows 10, well it seems to be working at the moment. We will see.

If it stays stable then I will have to get rid of Cortana, find some decent software to stop MS spying, get rid of the lock screen and get rid of the awful start menu. i have already got rid of some of the apps that Ms do not want us to get rid off.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User Alnath
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 29-May-17 09:50:21
Print Post

Mine has been rock solid (ooer) so far for the first month or so at any rate.

I put a GTX 1050Ti in it yesterday so it is a great 1080p games machine as well now. Formula Fusion runs beautifully even at epic settings. i didn't buy it for this reason but the gigabyte windforce card i bought runs passively pretty much all of the time so more lovely quietness lol
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 29-May-17 18:06:05
Print Post

[re: Alnath] [link to this post]

What Os are you running on it? Mine seems to be fine with Windows 10 on it, but not with windows 8, I presume it was a driver problem, I will have another go at some point, I really do not want to keep Windows 10 on here.

i am not really a games player, which is why I did not update my video card, i have a Sapphire AMD R9 280, to be honest it is pretty good and unless it goes wrong or I mange to palm it off to someone at a decent price I will keep it.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Alnath
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 30-May-17 11:15:25
Print Post

Windows 10, been running it from day one to be honest smile

I'm not really a gamer either, just casually play from time to time, the GTX 1050Ti is definitely low end but had more grunt than the 750Ti it replaced. So for encoding and image editing it has to help speed things up with programs that can make use of it.

I got £65 for my GTX 750Ti so the jobs a good'un really.
Standard User Alnath
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 03-Jul-19 17:47:22
Print Post

Re: Ryzen 5

In reply to a post by Alnath:
I was nervous about it not booting so i played it safe and went for a single 8GB stick of Crucial DDR 4 2400. I figured it was going to feel a millions time faster than what i had so better safe than sorry, i didnt even go for single rank or a kit to run in dual channel mode lol

I can be a bit more adventurous when the BIOS updates have slowed down and things settle.

Its now running with 2x8GB sticks of Ballistix at 3200MHz in preparation for a Ryzen 7 3700x.

I have to say this Ryzen 5 1600 has been a gem over the last couple of years, i cant wait for Ryzen 3000
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 07-Jul-19 10:14:52
Print Post

Its now running with 2x8GB sticks of Ballistix at 3200MHz in preparation for a Ryzen 7 3700x.

I have to say this Ryzen 5 1600 has been a gem over the last couple of years, i cant wait for Ryzen 3000

I stuck another 32GB in mine a couple of days back, so 48GB in total, apart from adding a NvME drive i have not really done much to the hardware until now.

I doubt i will bother updating the CPU, the difference between my 1700 and the new ones will be minimal in real life, no matter what the benchmarks come out with.
sure it will make a difference to you going from your ryzen 5 to a 7, I presume it will be the 7 3000 and not another ryzen 5?

New video card next, but not sure what to get, I do not want to go over board, i looked at the Vega, but it is a lot of money, if one of the lower end do what i need than i will go with them.
Then a new monitor and that should be it unless something goes belly up.

Adrian

Desktop machine Ryzen powered with windows 10 , reluctantly.

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Mon 08-Jul-19 04:47:31
Print Post

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
I stuck another 32GB in mine a couple of days back, so 48GB in total

How many sticks is that? Are you getting dual channel speeds? Just curious, because some setups with maxed RAM have to run at single channel speeds, and suffer from reduced FPS.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 09-Jul-19 06:41:46
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by camieabz:
How many sticks is that? Are you getting dual channel speeds? Just curious, because some setups with maxed RAM have to run at single channel speeds, and suffer from reduced FPS.

4 sticks 2x 8 and 2x16, i did have a problem at first, where the machine was running in single channel, windows would not use all the memory and the ram speed was set slow. i took the memory out and changed it around and it worked. But i think the problem was I did not press the memory down hard enough into the slots, so it was half in and half out.

All corsair Vengeance LPX memory and works fine runs in dual channel, proper speed, and Windows recognises it all and uses it all.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User Alnath
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 10-Jul-19 18:15:36
Print Post

In reply to a post by zyborg47:

I stuck another 32GB in mine a couple of days back, so 48GB in total, apart from adding a NvME drive i have not really done much to the hardware until now.

I doubt i will bother updating the CPU, the difference between my 1700 and the new ones will be minimal in real life, no matter what the benchmarks come out with.
sure it will make a difference to you going from your ryzen 5 to a 7, I presume it will be the 7 3000 and not another ryzen 5?

New video card next, but not sure what to get, I do not want to go over board, i looked at the Vega, but it is a lot of money, if one of the lower end do what i need than i will go with them.
Then a new monitor and that should be it unless something goes belly up.

Ryzen 3000 relates to the 3rd gen Ryzen processors in general.

Depends what you are doing with it i guess but even the Ryzen 5 3600 is beating the Ryzen 7 1700 in absolutely everything thanks to the significant IPC uplift over 1st gen Ryzen and of course the 3600 has 6 cores and not 8. I know when i am surfing the net etc. it is going to feel zero % faster but when it comes to video encoding and gaming it is looking like some pretty good performance increases are in order.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 11-Jul-19 21:21:25
Print Post

Ryzen 3000 relates to the 3rd gen Ryzen processors in general.

I know like 2000 was for all second gen ryzen.

Depends what you are doing with it i guess but even the Ryzen 5 3600 is beating the Ryzen 7 1700 in absolutely everything thanks to the significant IPC uplift over 1st gen Ryzen and of course the 3600 has 6 cores and not 8. I know when i am surfing the net etc. it is going to feel zero % faster but when it comes to video encoding and gaming it is looking like some pretty good performance increases are in order.

A lot of these tests comes from benchmarks and they are done in a way that everything is perfect, in real life it is never the same.

I have seen a couple of articles and the new gen looks good and yes the ryzen 5 3000, seems to be up with the old Ryzen 7 in some things, we will see when it becomes more available and more people can do tests on them.

i am glad AMD is not sitting on their backside and continuing updating the Ryzen.

But I have no plans to update the CPU in this machine for a while yet.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to