Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 17-Feb-19 23:59:00
Print Post

Core 2 Duo E8400 stepping C0 temps

[link to this post]

The above CPU is idling around 64C and full load 70c with Artic Cooler Freezer 7 Pro fitted. Are these a bit high. Have used a air can to dust the heat sink but not made much difference. Whats the max temp?

Tim
www.uno.net.uk & freenetname
Asus DSL-N55U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80/20 Meg Fibre
Speed Test

Current Sync: 79993/19661

BQM
Standard User TinyMongomery
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 18-Feb-19 10:28:04
Print Post

Re: Core 2 Duo E8400 stepping C0 temps

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

What temperature are you measuring (the core and case temperatures are different) and how are you measuring it?

Without further details, 64C idling temperature sounds far too high, and 70C is near the maximum (72.4, I believe) for that CPU. Again, what do you mean by "Full Load"?

Edit: Yes, the maximum case temperature is 72,4C: https://ark.intel.com/products/33910/Intel-Core-2-Du...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not to his own facts.

Edited by TinyMongomery (Mon 18-Feb-19 10:30:24)

Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Mon 18-Feb-19 14:44:08
Print Post

Refer to older post - http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/hardware/f/4388473-...

I would suspect airflow / poor CPU fan first.

Also bear in mind that thermal paste can degrade over time, but I wouldn't suspect that unless all other avenues have been explored. While 70c is quite hot, it's not worryingly hot. The throttle temp will be higher than that (guessing 90c -ish). That said, there's no harm in removing the HSF, cleaning it, and applying new paste in the recommended manner (small pea method).

Maybe instead of just talking temps, also refer to 'x' temp above ambient room temp, both idle and full load. If you're running it in a 25c or greater room, the idle temps will be high to start with, and CPU temps will rise fast. My room is generally 20-23c, but the central heating and the PC together can get the room temp up to 27c if I forget to turn off the radiator. The CPU's idle is generally 5-10c above ambient (two intakes, two exhausts, plenty of airflow).

Things to check:

1a. Airflow - Do you have equal amount do intake and exhaust fans, and is the exhaust air being vented from the top half of the case?

1b. PSU - Is your PSU venting into the case and adding to the heat, especially as older PSUs tend to get hotter with time.

1c. GPU - Is your GPU a 'hot' GPU, and does it vent into the case?

2a. Does the HSF feel firm, and tight on the CPU? You don't have to give it much wiggle to find out.

2b. Does the CPU fan turn fast enough to create airflow? Some fans turn, but airflow is minimal. If you have the option, increase the fan speed. Does the fan turn at all? smile

2c. If your BIOS has the option, set the CPU alarm to a temp that is halfway between full load expected (e.g. 65c) and throttle temp. If 95c is the throttle temp, I would set the alarm to 80c. It's a handy way to find out if the CPU is hitting high temps when you're not looking. Be sure to swot up on the load and throttle temps though. If unsure, err on the side of caution, and drop the alarm by 5-10c.

As I said in the linked thread, the E8400s have a history of questionable temps, but 64c on idle is very 'interesting', and if it's still doing that with the case open (if a tower, lie it on its side and let it vent up), there's something amiss with the HSF/paste or the sensor.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 18-Feb-19 14:44:24
Print Post

[re: TinyMongomery] [link to this post]

Core temps are what I am measuring I dont have the facilities to measure case temp. I am using Core Temp and when core temp load reaches 100% I note the temp. I dont want to use prime as it might over heat the CPU.

Tim
Speed Test

BQM
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 18-Feb-19 14:57:06
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

Thanks for digging up that old thread. Room temp is 15c at the moment and idling at 60c so I have some more spring cleaning to do to get back to the 50c in 2015.

GPU is at 41c and PSU is Corsair which is pulling air out of the case. I suspect some new paste is needed as it hasn't been changed since the install of the Freezer 7.

Tim
Speed Test

BQM

Edited by Banger (Mon 18-Feb-19 18:29:28)

Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 20-Feb-19 23:16:53
Print Post

Idle has suddenly dropped to 55c after a windows update. Strange.

Tim
Speed Test

BQM
Standard User epyon
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 28-Feb-19 06:50:54
Print Post

That is pretty high idle

Any chance you could install cpuz and link a screenshot?

I remember mine being around the high 30s back in 2009 or so.
Standard User DG834MAN
(member) Thu 28-Feb-19 13:51:53
Print Post

[re: epyon] [link to this post]

I would definitely redo the paste how long has it been since you installed that cooler decade ago? i never liked the push pin mounts of those systems always a bit dodgy installing heat sinks.

For reference i have a ancient (not quite as a core 2 duo) x5670 with a massive OC that idles about 30 loads up to mid 60s does have a hyper 212x cooler though
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 28-Feb-19 22:35:09
Print Post

[re: epyon] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by epyon:
That is pretty high idle

Any chance you could install cpuz and link a screenshot?

I remember mine being around the high 30s back in 2009 or so.

Cant get a screenshot of CPUz as the background is in black and writing dark blue so unreadable. The idle has always been high since I got it, changed the heatsink to the freezer pro which took it down about 10 degrees.

Tim
Speed Test

BQM
Standard User SamirD
(newbie) Wed 13-Mar-19 04:17:39
Print Post

I never like my lga775 systems to run that hot so I remove the blue pin from the cpu fan connector so the fan is at 100% all the time. Sure, it's more noise, but I rarely see 40C fully loaded.
  Print Thread

Jump to